Los Angeles, CA

Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool 4

Posted July 10, 2011
Excellent math and science program in a small classroom setting. So students who could get "lost" in these subjects, instead develop a sound understanding and appreciation of math and science. The exposure to history for people of color is more diverse than LAUSD. The campus is small and the kids can't get away with much trouble making. Excellent learning environment.

Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool 3

Posted June 14, 2011
My daughter attends Marcus Garvey now but after just 1 year her last day will be coming after she graduates from pre-school. The school is very good when it comes to acedemics and im pleased when it comes to my daughters learning accomplishments but theres alot of negatives about this school i have learned about. #1 The principal and staff are very unorganized and last minute when it comes to school paperwork. #2 Events are planned at the school that dont start on time and are handled unprofessional and to top it off they had a prom last week and my daughters teacher was more so on a date with a married parent sharing heavy liquor bottles under the table at a preschool/elementry school prom. How unprofessional is that? I thought we were here for the kids, not on dates. It showed bad charecter, bad morals and just looked bad on the schools behalf and as a teacher. Also, upon me noticing another parent that was with me noticed as well and approached me explaning her dislike with the situation. I thought this school would be the best but its just not for my child. Overall, there are some good things but the bad out weigh the good in my opinion.

Posted April 25, 2011
Marcus Garvey School has been a blessing for my family. I believe that the academic expectations for African American and Latino American boys are extremely low. I wanted to find an environment where African Americans excelled and are not allowed to give excuses. We are simply amazed by our 3 year old who is writing, spelling, adding and is excited about going to school and learning more! Marcus Garvey has a well-rounded academic and arts curriculum instructed by caring teachers. I can t pick my son up too early from school because he doesn t want to miss any of the work. Although my child is in pre-school, I am working with the middle school students at the Marcus Garvey Robotics Club where we meet once a week. We have many intelligent parents that get involved here. I think that the future is bright at Marcus Garvey.

Posted August 26, 2010
Marcus Garvey School is a wonderful school. As a result of their excellent teaching and advanced curriculum, I attended my first college class at the age of 14. Also, since I graduated from MGS, Sis, Saunders continue to make sure that I am involved in varies programs. At the moment, I am the president of the MGS Junior National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), which is organized by students from Cal State LA. Thanks Sis. Saunders and the Marcus Garvey family for all of your support. TT

Posted August 25, 2010
Marcus Garvey is a wonderful school. I have a grandchild at this school and he is doing well. I recently attended his kindergarten graduation and was amazed to hear and see these children learning things that I didn't learn until I was in the 8th grade. They are also learning about themselves, which is something they definitely need to know. I also had a grandchild graduate from MGS and he is attending high school and doing exceptionally well. Yes, Marcus Garvey has a very good curriculum for our children.

Posted August 25, 2010
As a former student of Marcus Garvey, I can truly say I would recommend this school. They teach you about yourself in a positive way. It is a caring environment. I liked Marcus Garvey.

Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool 3

Posted February 24, 2010
My daugther just enrolled in Marcus Garvey about 3 months are so ago, and so far so good, but I do feel that they want us to come out the pocket alot for different thing, like dance class and uniforms for the class, food fundraisers, and skate fundraiser, us as parent are already paying alot to educate our children and they need to draw the line somewhere and look at how much we are paying just for the education, and since there's no sports programs, the dance classes and things like that need to be free!!!! This school is a little over priced..But right now I think I would recommend this school to another parent if they could afford it.....

Posted November 27, 2009
My wife and I are very pleased with Marcus Garvey School...I've heard about their accomplishments all my life and when we had our daughter we knew we would give the school a try...Our daughter is in the pre-school and peope are amazed at what she has learned: States/Capitals, spanish numbers, counting and writing into the hundreds, addition/multiplication, etc, etc... Our little girl just wowed the the entire family over Thanksgiving dinner and we are so grateful for this jewel in our community!!

Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool 0

Posted January 16, 2009
My daughter attended Marcus Garvey during her 7th grade year. I loved the school. The curriculum was challenging. Mr. Kingsley (English teacher) was the greatest teacher I have ever met. He was very inspiring, engaging and motivating. He was the greatest assest the school had. I watched my daughter blossom under his instructions. My daughter did not have the same positive expereince with the math teacher. I think it is great to have a school that focuses on African-American students and provides a challenging curriculum that prepares them to compete in the education and social arena.

Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool 1

Posted November 01, 2008
i hate this school. i used to go there & i dont recommend it to anybody. its overpriced & 600 a month, lunch is disgusting & barly anybody goes there. the teachers are not qualified & the ruls are rediculous

Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool
5760 6th Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90043
Last modified Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Marcus Garvey Elementary And Preschool Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top