3-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Because all the students at the school have some sort of learning disability, there is a "quirkiness" to every student, which is really wonderful. It seems to make everyone very accepting of the "quirks" in others. I've never seen the students at the school be anything but incredibly supportive of one another. It's truly beautiful. (I'm not sure that answers this question, but it's a big part of what's great about the school.)

Our child was failing at our traditional, neighborhood elementary. Once at Summit View, he transitioned beautifully. In middle school, he is thriving. The teachers care so much about him and his success. They truly make a wonderful environment for him to thrive and be challenged. He literally went from Z to A. It's incredible. The only reason I did not give the school a "great" rating is I feel the communication from the school is not the best, I'm not 100% in line with some school policies, and I feel some school staff has a very hard time dealing with parents. But other than that bit of awkwardness, it is a great school for our child.

I am thrilled that my daughter is attending Summit View West. The teachers and staff are exceptional in their ability to attend to the children's academic, social and emotional needs in a small, nurturing community. There are wonderful activities and events throughout the year for both students and parents. The principals are accessible and compassionate. My daughter and I are very happy here. Resa Parent, psychotherapist, ex teacher

The school is geared towards children with learning disabilities and it was a godsend that we found it. Public school, while making an attempt to aid children with various learning disabilities, are woefully lacking in the skill required to make school a place of joy and fulfillment for children like mine. Summit View West provided my child with the structure, the attention, the individualized program and rigor for my child to succeed. She has more than reached her grade level in math, science, history and reading. (each year at public school she had fallen further and further behind.) The school teaches the child as a thinking, feeling individual and they go above and beyond. There is also a very warm whole family atmosphere with events, plays, sports, and comraderie. Everything is led by the very competant and insightful director Nancy Rosenfeld. Her leadership is noteworthy. She inspires confidence in the student body, the parent body and the staff.

Summit View School is the real deal. For students with learning differences, this is a school that will help students reach their highest potential. As they progress to a higher level, they will be encouraged to go even further. For my daughter, this included taking courses such as chemistry, physics, and other challenging college prep classes. The teachers are continuously updated with new specialized teaching methods and help students access their academics. It is a school that will help students reach their academic goals and maintain their self esteem. If that isn't educating, then what is? I am proud that my daughter has succeeded in an environment that helps her learn and then advocate for her way of learning!

I have to disagree with the parents who have posted here recently. Our child has been there for 8 years and is thriving. The principle and staff are excellent and very caring. Unfortunately, behavioral problems often go hand in hand with LD, because the kids have extra frustrations, but the staff deals with the kids and gives them ample opportunity to improve. And when that doesn't work, the school has to let the children go, because they are too disruptive to the rest of the students. "Assaults" at this school occur less than at other public schools, and students are disciplined for them. We have had nothing but a great experience at this school, and we highly recommend it.

Summit View had been the go to school for the public school districts to refer students with learning disabilities that could not manage on the larger campuses of high schools. High Schools also didn't have the resources needed for my child. We got in to Summit View in my child's 9th grade year. At first, he seemed to adjust well. Within a few weeks, the behavior of the other kids who where more troubled then learning disabled became a problem. There is bulling that the school is aware of but does nothing. My child had expensive outside testing that proved he needed several special programs which Summit View had. SummitView retested my child and she tested out of those much needed programs. The teachers are completely overwhelmed. And actually resentful that these kids are hard to handle. Hello that is your type of school. My child was pulled out of so many classes for "behavior" and left to sit in a room for hours. They'd call me to come get her. They have counselors,program directors, and a very controlling principal - thinks extremely high of herself. If your kid doesn't fit-they will recommend therapeutic boarding school-believe me; that is a whole other problem.

This school lacks trained teachers in special education that truly care about teaching students. That staff and administration allow students to regularly be physically assaulted, girls are regularly bullied and verbally assaulted. Staff has been aware for years of these problems. Worst is that your child will NOT be educated here - the Westside location is known for having behaviorally out of control students that had no where else to attend school. Very disappointed, have pulled our child and are have been contacted by at least 8 other parents who want to pull their children as well. Staff turnover is a major problem - teachers suffer from burnout and take it out on the students.

I would highly recommend Summit View! My son is going into his 3rd year of college and has a 3.0 gpa. I know Summit View prepared him not only academically, but socially for his future. The teachers and staff are amazing and really worked to assure he had a successful experience at the right college. If your child has learning differences...this is the place to send them!!!

Great school. Very Elite, Incredible school. I am surprised how my child has grown academically. My child loves math! My child did not thrive at all in the traditional school setting. At this school, kids learn with various techniques, lots of acdemic field trips. My child went to UCLA Hospital to learn about the human body. They also took the kids to PALI Institute for 3 days to learn SCIENCE "hands-on." The kids grocery shopping to learn about the economy. The school offers, SIGN LANGUAGE, Public Speaking and has a nice gym. Also has an after school program with extra curricular activities. What I like best, the school does NOT accept kids with behavior problems. which makes a huge difference in my child's learning.

Last modified Summit View - Westside is a Private school that serves grades 3-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.