Los Angeles, CA

Posted February 27, 2013
The school is geared towards children with learning disabilities and it was a godsend that we found it. Public school, while making an attempt to aid children with various learning disabilities, are woefully lacking in the skill required to make school a place of joy and fulfillment for children like mine. Summit View West provided my child with the structure, the attention, the individualized program and rigor for my child to succeed. She has more than reached her grade level in math, science, history and reading. (each year at public school she had fallen further and further behind.) The school teaches the child as a thinking, feeling individual and they go above and beyond. There is also a very warm whole family atmosphere with events, plays, sports, and comraderie. Everything is led by the very competant and insightful director Nancy Rosenfeld. Her leadership is noteworthy. She inspires confidence in the student body, the parent body and the staff.

Posted February 20, 2013
Summit View School is the real deal. For students with learning differences, this is a school that will help students reach their highest potential. As they progress to a higher level, they will be encouraged to go even further. For my daughter, this included taking courses such as chemistry, physics, and other challenging college prep classes. The teachers are continuously updated with new specialized teaching methods and help students access their academics. It is a school that will help students reach their academic goals and maintain their self esteem. If that isn't educating, then what is? I am proud that my daughter has succeeded in an environment that helps her learn and then advocate for her way of learning!

Posted February 19, 2013
I have to disagree with the parents who have posted here recently. Our child has been there for 8 years and is thriving. The principle and staff are excellent and very caring. Unfortunately, behavioral problems often go hand in hand with LD, because the kids have extra frustrations, but the staff deals with the kids and gives them ample opportunity to improve. And when that doesn't work, the school has to let the children go, because they are too disruptive to the rest of the students. "Assaults" at this school occur less than at other public schools, and students are disciplined for them. We have had nothing but a great experience at this school, and we highly recommend it.

Posted February 19, 2013
Summit View had been the go to school for the public school districts to refer students with learning disabilities that could not manage on the larger campuses of high schools. High Schools also didn't have the resources needed for my child. We got in to Summit View in my child's 9th grade year. At first, he seemed to adjust well. Within a few weeks, the behavior of the other kids who where more troubled then learning disabled became a problem. There is bulling that the school is aware of but does nothing. My child had expensive outside testing that proved he needed several special programs which Summit View had. SummitView retested my child and she tested out of those much needed programs. The teachers are completely overwhelmed. And actually resentful that these kids are hard to handle. Hello that is your type of school. My child was pulled out of so many classes for "behavior" and left to sit in a room for hours. They'd call me to come get her. They have counselors,program directors, and a very controlling principal - thinks extremely high of herself. If your kid doesn't fit-they will recommend therapeutic boarding school-believe me; that is a whole other problem.

Posted January 28, 2013
This school lacks trained teachers in special education that truly care about teaching students. That staff and administration allow students to regularly be physically assaulted, girls are regularly bullied and verbally assaulted. Staff has been aware for years of these problems. Worst is that your child will NOT be educated here - the Westside location is known for having behaviorally out of control students that had no where else to attend school. Very disappointed, have pulled our child and are have been contacted by at least 8 other parents who want to pull their children as well. Staff turnover is a major problem - teachers suffer from burnout and take it out on the students.

Posted July 19, 2010
I would highly recommend Summit View! My son is going into his 3rd year of college and has a 3.0 gpa. I know Summit View prepared him not only academically, but socially for his future. The teachers and staff are amazing and really worked to assure he had a successful experience at the right college. If your child has learning differences...this is the place to send them!!!

Posted July 08, 2010
Great school. Very Elite, Incredible school. I am surprised how my child has grown academically. My child loves math! My child did not thrive at all in the traditional school setting. At this school, kids learn with various techniques, lots of acdemic field trips. My child went to UCLA Hospital to learn about the human body. They also took the kids to PALI Institute for 3 days to learn SCIENCE "hands-on." The kids grocery shopping to learn about the economy. The school offers, SIGN LANGUAGE, Public Speaking and has a nice gym. Also has an after school program with extra curricular activities. What I like best, the school does NOT accept kids with behavior problems. which makes a huge difference in my child's learning.

Summit View?Westside 2

Posted April 07, 2010
Summit View West is a school that is geared towards helping children and teens with special needs. My child attended here for 5 years and for the first 2 years the school was an excellent environment that allowed here to work on here disorder. But as time went on she was greatly bullied by the other students, she was the center of horrible rumors, often her school items were stolen or broken by others, and constantly her classmates made cruel sexual comments towards her. This type of behavior was not only happening to my daughter but also to her friends and the school took Little to NO action when spoken to. I am so happy she is out of there!

Posted October 05, 2009
We are thrilled with how well our daughter is doing at Summit View West. Her confidence is so much better than it used to be.

Posted September 16, 2009
If your child's issues are severe and they cannot learn, Summit View is great. If your child has any potential to learn, run! They will not challenge/educate your child, they will teach down to them. They will not prepare them for the outside world. After leaving mid high school my son could not transition into a regular high school, he was totally unprepared/uneducated.

Summit View?Westside