Posted August 10, 2014
Feel so blessed! A Waldorf inspired eduction in a public school setting- amazing! Our son is so happy- the staff is incredible, the school has a homey, natural, beautiful environment, and the children are so sweet and wholesome there. If you get in via lottery, you definitely have gotten the golden ticket!

Posted June 22, 2014
My school is OCS and I think it is the best school on this planet

Posted January 16, 2014
This has been a perfect school for our child. We love the small intimate school. Currently the school has two campuses, but the board and administration is working on building a new school This school is not for everyone, and it has to be the right fit for your family and child. It is more grounded. No-technology, especially K through 6th grades. This includes limited screens, ie television, computers, cell phones, etc. Although, LAUSD choose this school as one of the test schools for the ipdad program, the school is limiting it's use in teaching programs. We love that they teach Japanese, and music, art. The students create their own text books, which by the end of the year are beautiful memory books. We love that the school grounds, planting, and outdoor activity are a big part of the program. We love the teachers, who are certified in Waldorf, project and creativity based education. We love that eye contact is part of the program. The administration are dedicated and energized to create the best school. The school has many dedicated parent volunteers. The Winter Faire and Spring Faire are amazing events.

Posted January 14, 2014
I have 2 kids at OCS and we all love it. Despite what many people think OCS is very structured. In order to be such a free, creative place to learn it needs structure and OCS does that successfully. The teachers are wonderful. The kids are kind and calm and don't watch very much tv (if any) so there is very little "sponge bob talk" here. My kids have learned how to knit, crochet, speak Japanese and they have learned far more, academically, than they did at the LAUSD neighborhood school they attended before switching to OCS. Love this school!

Posted August 08, 2013
Great school. Individual attention, waldorf influence teaching. This is a creative approach to education. Teachers and administration are dedicated to children education in good environment. Very please with this school.

Posted May 16, 2013
The best experience a child or parent can have is to belong to a school like this. The stuff is incredible, teachers are amazing, my daughter is so happy to come everyday to school, She is learning having fun.

Ocean Charter School 2

Posted March 31, 2013
a fairly dysfunctional school that bored our daughter. The level of education was somewhat better than the local public schools but lacks the spark that a great school has. Wasn't very responsive to the needs of our child and suffered from being a bit formula driven.

Posted October 11, 2012
What a beautiful and safe place that teaches the important values in life. Students are taught to learn and not to perform. The curriculum offers lots of art, theatre, gardening, Japanese and music. There is no TV in the class room and parents are asked to keep the children 'media free' on weekdays. What a difference it makes! The children are calm and focused in the class room and ready and eager to learn.

Ocean Charter School 2

Posted August 13, 2012
My daughter attended Ocean Charter school for 2 1/2 years. Her first year was overall a fairly successful and happy transition, which thereafter began to go downhill as my daughter become the object of bullying, which was ignored by the teacher and staff, or which my daughter was blamed for causing. Her last year, was an absolutely horrible experience for our entire famiily, most of the teachers for her 6th grade year were new to the school and inept in the Waldorf method, and incapable of controlling the students. My family and family friends had to band together to ensure my daughter spent as little time on campus as possible, without one of us there to monitor to do our best that she not come home in tears, why the reaction of the staff and teachers was "all 6th grade girls get teased." I eventually reported the bullying to L.A. Unified, which seemed to make them take the matter a bit more seriously. My daughter attended a different school for 7th and 8th grade - where she is an A & B student, gifted athlete, and surrounded by friends. Ocean Charter was the problem! Notably, the child who bullied my daughter the most, was the child of a teacher at the school. hmmmm......

Ocean Charter School 4

Posted May 21, 2012
Both my children attended OCS K-6th and were prepared when they both went on to private middle schools. My thinking as to why my children did so well is that I bought into the philosophy of limited media. We have carried that philosophy over to their new schools and it is working out great. The school requires that the parents participate and if you are not interested in helping the school this is not the place for you. Please take the time to see what the school is about and choose accordingly.

Ocean Charter School
12606 Culver Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Ocean Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 89 reviews. Top