Public charter
Los Angeles, CA

Posted April 30, 2015
My son s class at OCS is a lot like the one I went to as a kindergartener--emphasizing art, singing, stories, make-believe and outdoor play, letting kids be kids instead of rushing them to achieve academically. There's no homework, so we can actually have some family time after school and work. And instead of stressing technology, Ocean emphasizes an awareness of nature and the seasons. Kids aren't bombarded with characters and brands on T-shirts, lunchboxes, etc., because parents agree not to send their kids to school with them. It's true that parents sometimes have to request their names be added to group emails and school events could be better organized, but more important, the school is a great fit for my son. The school s test scores aren't as high as others , but then standardized testing is not something OCS focuses on. If you're a parent who will stress about whether your child is reading yet, Ocean Charter isn't for you, as it's not aligned with traditional approaches or assessments of learning. That said, the Waldorf philosophy does emphasize personal, social, artistic and moral development, and it's amazing to get access to that style of education at a public school.

Ocean Charter School 3

Posted January 20, 2015
New to LA is was very excited to be able to send my son, 5 years old, to the kinder program at Ocean. We lasted about a month before I withdrew from the school and transferred to a another school in my area. In my opinion Ocean has championed mediocrity. There is almost a profound lack of communication between parent and school admin. In the 5 weeks we attended I did not receive one email from school admin telling us any of the happenings in the school or in my son's grade and classroom. Another problem we faced was suddenly my son got very anxious about going to school everyday. He loved his previous kinder class and school until we got to Ocean. I believe the admin has figured out how to keep kids turning 7 years in their kinder program, in most any other school these kids would be going into 1st grade. So now my small son is navigating the playground with very large boys who are socially and emotionally light years away from a typical 5 year old. And on most days it is survival of the fittest in their playground. I believe the biggest problem this school has his lack of leadership. The executive director is non existent and from what I hear prefers to be called CEO.

Posted August 10, 2014
Feel so blessed! A Waldorf inspired eduction in a public school setting- amazing! Our son is so happy- the staff is incredible, the school has a homey, natural, beautiful environment, and the children are so sweet and wholesome there. If you get in via lottery, you definitely have gotten the golden ticket!

Posted June 22, 2014
My school is OCS and I think it is the best school on this planet

Posted January 16, 2014
This has been a perfect school for our child. We love the small intimate school. Currently the school has two campuses, but the board and administration is working on building a new school This school is not for everyone, and it has to be the right fit for your family and child. It is more grounded. No-technology, especially K through 6th grades. This includes limited screens, ie television, computers, cell phones, etc. Although, LAUSD choose this school as one of the test schools for the ipdad program, the school is limiting it's use in teaching programs. We love that they teach Japanese, and music, art. The students create their own text books, which by the end of the year are beautiful memory books. We love that the school grounds, planting, and outdoor activity are a big part of the program. We love the teachers, who are certified in Waldorf, project and creativity based education. We love that eye contact is part of the program. The administration are dedicated and energized to create the best school. The school has many dedicated parent volunteers. The Winter Faire and Spring Faire are amazing events.

Posted January 14, 2014
I have 2 kids at OCS and we all love it. Despite what many people think OCS is very structured. In order to be such a free, creative place to learn it needs structure and OCS does that successfully. The teachers are wonderful. The kids are kind and calm and don't watch very much tv (if any) so there is very little "sponge bob talk" here. My kids have learned how to knit, crochet, speak Japanese and they have learned far more, academically, than they did at the LAUSD neighborhood school they attended before switching to OCS. Love this school!

Posted August 08, 2013
Great school. Individual attention, waldorf influence teaching. This is a creative approach to education. Teachers and administration are dedicated to children education in good environment. Very please with this school.

Posted May 16, 2013
The best experience a child or parent can have is to belong to a school like this. The stuff is incredible, teachers are amazing, my daughter is so happy to come everyday to school, She is learning having fun.

Ocean Charter School 2

Posted March 31, 2013
a fairly dysfunctional school that bored our daughter. The level of education was somewhat better than the local public schools but lacks the spark that a great school has. Wasn't very responsive to the needs of our child and suffered from being a bit formula driven.

Posted October 11, 2012
What a beautiful and safe place that teaches the important values in life. Students are taught to learn and not to perform. The curriculum offers lots of art, theatre, gardening, Japanese and music. There is no TV in the class room and parents are asked to keep the children 'media free' on weekdays. What a difference it makes! The children are calm and focused in the class room and ready and eager to learn.

Ocean Charter School
12606 Culver Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90066
Last modified Ocean Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 91 reviews. Top