New Designs Charter School

Charter | 6-12

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $316,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted yesterday

New Design Charter School 2303 Figueroa Way. Why do non of the English classes have literature books for all the Students. How can they learn if they have nothing to read.

Posted January 5, 2014

I went to NDCS for 4 years, and I had been looking for a way to get out for a while. The classes aren't challenging at all and the school is very small and squished. People have gotten hurt because of the congestion in the hallways during passing periods. Many students got in fights at this school. I would often be eating lunch only to turn around and find 2 girls or boys punching each other or someone pulling someone' s hair on the dirt field or in the hallways. The uniform is so rigorous, I once got suspended for forgetting my burgundy tie. I made good grades at this school, but didn't really learn anything. I was surprised when I later moved schools. In order to get lunch, you must have a small ticket that is about 1 inch long. They give you these tickets at the beginning of every month and if you lose yours, you simply can't get lunch. I would seriously consider all other options, before sending your child to NDCS.

Posted October 7, 2013

Best school ever.they are not mean but you cant understand some teachers.give good education in,the school and not like other schools

Posted August 21, 2013

this school is horrible staff there are stubborn but you meet great friends there and the are good friends

Posted October 20, 2012

This school does not have strong leadership. The principal is not licensed. There are no strong challenging academic programs. The entire school is organized around standardized testing. I expected more from the leadership. Teachers are fired left and right and it provides no continuity for the students and the parents. There is no LAUSD bus service. The food is catered, which means there is a lag time between it being prepared and the time it is brought to the campus. The playground is dirt, yet a nearby charter school has an astro turf playground. The students are crammed into small hallways and classrooms. They and push and shove each other between classes. It amazes me how the image of the school is so different than the reality. As a parent I advise anyone considering this school to attend their local school and, if needed, to pay for tutoring yourself. New Designs is not what it appears to be.My children are very disappointed, and I will be removing them from the school next year.

Posted April 18, 2012

As a former student I can attest to the fact that the school trains students to test rather than think. It has absolutely NO extracurriculars which have a HUGE negative impact on students college applications. The few that get into exemplary colleges do a lot outside of school without the help from the school. The SAT test scores are extrememly low and its IMPORTANT that they aren't. They have a few good teachers and a great college counselor that has been the one getting these kids into college. The school doesn't help the situation by hiring inept principals and hiring staff for the most ridiculous jobs. These people do absolutely nothing and get paid with money that should go to students books and lab resources. It is an outrage. WHERE IS THE MONEY GOING?!? If it isn't for the kids. This place is a business,they get money for every kid and the "high" test scores are for extra funding from outside places. Take your kids somewhere they will get the resources and learning experience they deserve, they can go to much better places.

Posted October 25, 2011

My Cousin graduated from the New Designs Charter School and is now at a 4 year college!! and all thanks to the great visionary and hardworking teachers and admnistrators at New Designs!! My Cousin who was an average student is now an "A' student. She attributes her success to the before and after School programs, the weekend programby the school and the opportunity to be mentored by students of neighboring USC students!! She also credits her success to he "A-G' graduated requirement by the school. Good job New Designs!!!

Posted June 30, 2011

I am a recent graduate from NDCS, and though we can brag that the majority of the students graduated with acceptances to 4-year institutions, I can also say, firsthand that this school is not ideal, the students here are taught to test.The main focus of NDCS is to improve their API score, they can care less about the quality of learning. There are a few great teachers, but the school is very unorganized, even after seven years. Any teacher or staff member who goes against the CEO's opinion will most likely be fired, all true movers-and-shakers (as far as staff is concerned) do not return for a second year because of the CEO's unwillingness to compromise. The students at NDCS have a high API score because they are taught using the released California standardized test questions. They take these tests every month, resulting in kids who are taught to TEST and not to THINK. The obsession with testing at New Designs has ruined the potential for true high quality learning that this small school setting can provide. It is true that NDCS is a better alternative for other urban schools like Foshay, but if you want your kids to LEARN I suggest you also enlist an outside program.

Posted April 12, 2011

Students at New Designs out-perform neighboring public schools on standardized tests. Most seniors graduate and can boast letters of acceptance to more than one four-year college. Great program! Great school!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 12, 2011

My daughter is currently attending New Designs and she loves it. The curriculum is rigorous and although she is in the 6th grade she is already taking college classes. Everyone who graduates from their high school has to complete the requirement to enter into a four year college. The school day is long but I love the teachers.

Posted April 7, 2011

AWESOME PROGRAMS, AWESOME ACADEMIC CURRICULUM AND GREAT AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM GOOD JOB ALL YOU NDCS PEOPLE!!. I LIKE YOUR ACADENY SYTEM AND WHAT IT AIMS TO ACHIEVE AND THE EARLY MORNING MATH BREAKFAST!!

Posted October 31, 2010

Where is the LAUSD? this school should be closed and the administration thrown in jail for providing such a terrible school. My child is meeting with the councilor at the school who has no idea what to do. He won't meet with my daughter he is afraid I guess maybe he has something in his bakground? I have to take her outside of school for counciling and it costing me money I dont have.

Posted October 26, 2010

I have been inside this classrooms with 4 different teachers, and the kids were playing around, those teachers did not have control, I am a disappointed parent. The quality of the school is very very very poor. The teachers and staff are focused on the students that are already doing well. Therefore, those students that are struggling are still struggling. They have mandatory after school, and Saturday school that is not effective. There curriculum is below average and they can not keep teachers. I have visited the office and the school on several occasions. Classrooms are out of control, little to no authority in the classroom as well. There are no music, art or special extracurricular, and parents do not want to volunteer their time. The vision for New Design Charter School is good, however there is no one to execute it properly. What a waste of a

Posted July 20, 2010

I am a Parent and although my daughter managed to mantain a 3.7 gpa...I was amazed..becasue daily she was bullied and forced to defend herself ... there were just to many kids there and not enoff supervison..and the Dean..Ms Rosias was terrible she just did not understand the kids or i feel how to dicipline them .

Posted May 4, 2010

this is the best school ever.this school got the highest score on the cst.

Posted September 16, 2009

Their curriculum is excellent and my grandchildren go there.

Posted October 28, 2008

New Designs Charter School is an outstanding technologically advance school that enables students to apply themselves to things that other high schools can't offer. As the former Student Body President, I can proudly say that New Designs has opened many doors for their students and has shown them that anyone can attend college if they persevere themselves. When I 1st came to NDCS, I was below a 2.5. When I moved to Houston, I left with high honors and above a 3.2. At NDCS I was encouraged to be a leader and show other students how to take hold of their future. If NDCS was a college, it would be my first choice! Parents that dislike NDCS need to spend some time on campus and see for themselves how it is operated and how we work as a family to provide the best education possible for todays youth.

Posted September 23, 2008

I was a student at NDCS last year. When first coming to NDCS, I thought that it was going to be a good school. In some ways it is, and in some ways it is not. We didnt have working computers. And all we basically do is goof off in class, and the teacher let us. It is a good school overall, everyone is very respectful of each other and we're all one big family. I was also a cheerleader and it was fun but we we're so unorganized, we also never had practice on a regular basis. I dont attend NDCS this year, but I find that I am a little behind in one class because I didnt learn anything last year, even though I got good grades. I now have to repeat a class that I took last year due to the teacher not doing her job.

Posted April 7, 2008

My son has been attending NDCS since the 6th grade. He is now an eight grader. I agree that the vision and goal of NDCS are good, but the actual school needs help. There is a lack of quality teachers. My son is not doing or learning enough in my opinion and I will probably not send him back next year. As an alternative to the other schools in the area, it seemed much better. I understand that it is a growing school, so we need to be patient. Dr. Adutwun and Ms. Smith are always helpful and listen to all of my gripes. I really want the school to work out because it will help minority students qualify for colleges that they wouldn't ordinarily be able to. NDCS needs a lot of work. I'm pulling for it, but I'm going to have to pull my son out of it.

Posted March 10, 2008

My daughter has attended NDCS since 2006. I rate the school average as it is still growing and trying to establish itself as a bona-fide, quality, educational contender. I like the after-school and Saturday school programs. You cannot find these 'extra' opportunities at most inner-city schools. The kids have to want to learn. I have dropped in and seen kids being unattentive and the teachers focusing on the kids who are. Why should a teacher waste his/her time on kids who are not giving 100%. All in all NDCS still has areas that need to be developed but if it stays the course it will be a major contender in the education arena.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students43%

Parent education - high school graduate49%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)43%
Parent education - college graduate64%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

All Students80%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 98%N/AN/A
English language learners 31%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science lab

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room