School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Larchmont Charter High School Open House Apply to Larchmont Charter High School today!!! Application deadline is 5pm on February 18th! Larchmont is a progressive, college preparatory, diverse, public high school located in Lafayette Park just west of downtown Los Angeles. This amazing school has a tight knit community where every student is known and kids have a voice in shaping the program. OPEN HOUSE Thursday, 2/5 at 6pm at 2801 W. 6th St. LA, CA 90057 WEEKLY TOURS Thursdays at 9am (sign up at larchmontcharter.org or click here http://www.signupgenius.com/index.cfm?go=s.signup&urlid=20f0f4baeae23a3fc1-larchmont) ADMISSION APPLICATION - http://www.larchmontcharter.org/about/enrollment
February 04, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

LCS has a great mission statement and puts on a good show. Sadly, the school does not live up to it's reputation or uphold it's mission statement at the Secondary level. The MS at Selma Campus had horrible on-site administration, teachers seemingly have no knowledge or consideration for the developmental needs of middle school students or how to relate to them in any way. There is zero communication between the school and the parents. The teachers are not supported or supportive and there is a complete lack of follow through by the administration. PE was a joke. The "Spanish" education provided no preparation for High School Spanish. My child, and many others, had to repeat Algebra 1 Freshman year because of such poor instruction, curriculum, and support by the teacher. We had high hopes when we sent our child here that we were settled for middle and high school. We should have pulled our child out after the first year and seriously regret not. The elementary schools might be good, but then this Charter School Group falls apart for MS/HS and it is not just the Selma Campus. My child had friends at both campus' and many parents complained constantly about similar things. There is a huge turnaround with administration and teaching staff. Overall, if I could I would give no stars. All of my child's friends complained all the time about their teacher's, the admin, the educational quality. There was very little rapport between teachers and students. Most of my child's friends went to other High Schools without even considering LCHS.

Larchmont school system has excellent academics, but Fairfax campus has serious social problems. There's a bullying problem and ineffectual leadership around solving it. The children of families that donate a lot of money get away with some very bad behavior. The physical bullying improved by creating a supervision program on the playground. However, the school does not have a handle on of the psychological bullying that girls do. At the heart of the problem is the Fairfax administration wanting to insulate themselves from input by parents. This problem started with the former principal of the campus, who went on to be in charge of the whole system. When she left, she replaced herself with someone that would be her "yes man." The replacement principal lets the teachers do whatever they want. She once was a teacher there and is still friends with the teachers so she can't properly guide them. The culture of the Fairfax campus is to admit no wrong when there is a problem, and pat each other on the back in private. It was with great trepidation that we moved to the Selma campus, but it really seems different here. The vibe of the campus is way more open and welcoming. The administration is overworked, but extremely effective in creating a positive social atmosphere. They have multiple mechanisms in place to work out issues. Nothing wild or weird, just counselors and other people willing to talk out the problems that are inevitable for all young people trying to learn how to be good people. All the adults who work there seem to be on board. The teachers genuinely care about all their students, not just the ones who are funding the school. I'm really pleased that our family stuck it out. I'm an educator and I know the academics are cutting edge. It's apparent in the test scores of the kids from the "poor" demographic who do much better here than they do at regular public schools. That means a lot to our family, having come up from poor to middle class. And so far at this campus, no one has called our child "poor" like they did at Fairfax. The school culture makes it clear that it's the wrong thing to do and the adults enforce that. We have friends who go to the Holly Grove campus, and apparently things are good there, too. So if you win the lottery do your homework, go visit all the campuses and really think hard about putting your child at Fairfax.

Amount of homework: Agree

I admit that at first I was very nervous about having homework in kindergarten. But so far my son is able to complete everything easily. I still wish that there were less homework in all public schools, but my son does genuinely enjoyed most of the homework. There are a lot of learning games which are fun for us to do together.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Each child takes part in a community agreement to act responsibly and honestly. there's a very strong sense of community and I believe that that helps children feel a sense of integrity and wanting to be fair and honest with their fellow students.

Great communication between the staff and parents. Good balance of academics and arts. The school is very sweet and loving environment. no school is perfect but my son is very happy.

This is our (6th grader) son's first year at Larchmont LFP. He is doing well both academically and socially. He also got acclimated quicker than we anticipated since he was homeschooled for five years prior to attending traditional school. His HR teacher, Ms. Tova Todd, is incredible, she makes learning truly fun and engaging (which is extremely rare in most public schools). We have already secured our son's 7th grade spot for next year!

We literally won the lottery when our daughter got into LCS kindergarden this year and we chose the Hollygrove campus. The teachers are caring and nurturing. Our daughter is thriving, and her academic progress and achievement has been remarkable. The only drawback is the small class size and high teacher:student ratio. On the bright side, the out-door space is huge and spectacular, and the school provides after school care and enrichment programs until 6 pm that are very affordable.

The elementary school is good, very good to be exact. Unfortunately the same does not go for the middle school at LFP. I'm in 8th grade here and the teachers are well enough but the campus is small and crammed. The teachers have high-ish expectations and don't really challenge students. However, there aren't really any cliques...more of everyone's "friends".

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 04, 2015

Last modified Larchmont Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.