No rating

Pinecrest Schools - Woodland Hills

Private | K-8 | 265 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,060.

Posted January 29, 2014

I went to this school when I was a kid, and some of my very best memories were at Pinecrest. My daughter is now in Preschool there, and has been going since she was 18 months old in the toddler class. I have to say, I am a little more than disappointed with this school lately. Not only are they raising the price of tuition, but they nickle and dime you for everything. I would rather my child not have a pumpkin patch at her school, rather than be forced to pay an extra $10, so she doesn't feel left out. If I am paying as much as I pay to send her 5 full days a week, I think those little extras should be included. Her class is also getting rather large as well. She is private school for a reason. If I wanted her to be in a class with 20 other kids, she would be in public school...for free! Bottom line, as soon as she is old enough to enter public school (Kindergarten), we will most likely be pulling her out of this school. As much as we love her teachers, we just don't love how corporate keeps raising the price of tuition. They will also be lowering the sibling discount, which is a great way to alienate the parents who are struggling financially to send 2 kids to private school.

Posted January 16, 2014

This school was very promising when we first viewed it. However, the campus is run down and the management are awful at communicating with the parents. We have been trying to raise issues of concern and our requests to meet were not met. There is no parent association also. Funds are collected through fund raising but we have no idea where the money is being spent - it doesn't look like its being spend on facilities. Teachers seem demotivated.

Posted October 6, 2013

Wow, the review from June 21st has really given us pause. Our children went to pre-school (they had "The two "T" teachers) there and we were looking at Pinecrest as an option for them for middle school. Well, that won't be happening after reading this comment. Any school that fires some of their very best cannot be trusted. Very sad to hear this.

Posted June 21, 2013

I've had all 3 of my children at Pinecrest Woodland Hills since 2006. The best thing about the school has always been the family atmosphere and sense of community the school has maintained. Academically, the school has been very good, especially K through 3. Starting in grades 4-5, the academic rigor starts to fade and the middle school test scores really reflect that. For my family, Pinecrest has been incredible. The administration has treated my kids like they were their own. Mrs. Monello, the campus director, and her staff have run the school with impeccable honor and integrity. Administratively, we couldn't ask for anything more. A truly enjoyable experience for us all. Unfortunately, the Pinecrest ownership fired about a half dozen beloved teachers at the end of the 2013 school year, including 2 teachers that had been at the school for 20+ years AND Mrs. Monello. They sold their Van Nuys campus and then fired a bunch of the very best teachers they had on staff at Woodland Hills. Are you kidding me? Bottom line, we're not returning to Pinecrest because we're angry about the summary firings and we, quite frankly, do not trust the Pinecrest corporate leadership anymore.

Posted April 18, 2013

My child is currently a student at Pinecrest preschool and I really cannot recommend this school to any parent. The school lacks any security which is not a reassuring situation especially in today's climate. The teachers are caring to a certain degree but rush out of the school 6 pm & the school is open until 6:30 pm. They pride themselves as a "working parent's school". Occasionally, I pick up my child up after 6 pm and all of my child's teachers are gone and I have no idea how my child's day went. I'm a working parent not a disinterested parent! Do your family a favor and enroll elsewhere.

Posted August 10, 2012

My children have been going to Pinecrest since they were at their Toddler Center. They are now both in elementary and loving it! The principal and, Mrs. Monello, and her staff are receptive, nurturing and always available to assist. They know every student by name. My kids have the utmost respect for the staff. The teachers and aids are excellent as well. They inspire and provide guidance to help them think.

Posted June 21, 2012

My daughter just completed her first year in the Toddler Center and had a fantastic year. Her teachers were so kind and loving. I knew she would be taken care of while I had to be away from her to work. She had fun and learned so much. She came home singing new songs all the time. She constantly talked about all of her little friends in her class. She was able to participate in lots of extra activities as well (Tumblebees, Lil Angels, and "field trips"). We look forward to watching her grow and flourish over the next several years at Pinecrest!

Posted June 11, 2012

I am a proud parent of a 6 year old. This is her second wonderful year at Pinecrest Woodland Hills. This year is her kindergarten year and she has truly has had a great experience both years. Pre - Kindergarten really set the pace and helped her gain the knowledge to make for a nice transition into kindergarten. Both years her teachers have been the best. The amount of confidence Mrs. Summer gave her this year is amazing. Pinecrest is the school I know will be the school for my daughter to complete all the way through Middle School. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting the best education for children.

Posted June 10, 2012

I have been teaching for over 48 years, 40 within the LAUSD ,and 9 for Pinecrest School Woodland Hills. and this is the best school I've been involved with. The classroom materials are extremeley abundant, the specialized classes offered are numerous, and the sports program is outstanding. The school's administration is very supportive and understanding toward its teachers and parents. This school offers so many opportunities for children to grow and develop. I am pleased to be part of it!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 7, 2012

My son is finishing 10 years in Pinecreat Woodland Hills. He started in pre-k all the way to 8th grade. The school is amazing from the aides on the yard through the teachers in the classrooms, that help any kid in need. NO ONE STAY BEHIND. All the way to the wonderful staff in the office to the principal Kris Nilson and the director Betty Monello that their doors are always open for any concern you have. We are fan of Pinecrest Woodland Hills.

Posted June 7, 2012

I have 4 children who attended Pinecrest School in Woodland Hills. I can not say enough about how they prepared them for High School, and life. All 4 students attended 4 year colleges . The teacher's dedication to teaching and the ability to connect with the students is outstanding. Also the Director was more than a director and was involved with the students and their lives. I now have 3 grandchildren who attend the school, and are reaping a wonderful education and have caring and involved teachers.

Posted January 7, 2009

This is my daughters second year at Pinecrest Preschool. It's an amazing school, from the loving and nurturing teachers, to the director Fran Knowles and her staff, they are all wonderful. I couldn't be happier. My child couldn't be happier. She loves her teachers, they are amazing.... bright, energetic, compassionate, enthusiastic about teaching and very dedicated. You can tell they love what they do. My daughter looks forward to going to school every single day. We started at Pinecrest after Kindercare in Calabasas closed. I was a little hesitate at first, because I had heard that Pinecrest was a very academic preschool, and I still wanted her to have fun with art, music, dance and other fun stuff. Well this school has it all. It has been such a blessing for her here, she comes home with new art projects everyday, and the holiday show was fantastic. She have learned so much here, and are more that prepared for kindergarten. I can only hope that she will always love school this much. Thank you to all of you at Pinecrest for making my daughters first experience with school such a wonderful experience.

Posted November 6, 2008

I am very happy with the curriculum and well-rounded education that my daughter is receiving here. We came from a 9 rated LAUSD school in the SAS program and started here at Pinecrest with the 4th grade. The style of teaching and classroom environment that the students are exposed to really motivates them and keeps them involved--working individually and in groups. What I really love is that I don't have to worry about her when I am at work, because I know she is in good hands obtaining a top notch education and involved in ballet/jazz/drill team (they have great activities/programs). The teachers, staff and the principal are very approachable for parents and the students. I am a Pinecrest Woodland Hills fan all the way! YC

Posted May 21, 2007

I love the teachers my son has for Pre-K. The school and his teachers push strong academics but also allow the kids to participate in fun activities. There are all types of art and music programs and the parents are very involved.

Posted March 12, 2007

My son is in the middle school, honors classes, and we are so pleased with everything about this school. He's being academically challenged in a safe environment where he has excelled. In regard to the cost, we looked at quite a few $20k per year schools, and I know we are getting a ton of bang for our buck here. A++.

Posted November 20, 2006

Great school. After looking into other similar schools in the area I believe this school offers quality academic programs. They are very academically challenging and the kids love it. They also provide a well rounded program with PE, art, spanish,computers, etc. They also offer after and during school extracurricular activities. I have not been discouraged to get involved and quite the contrary, every time I have offered to help or participate I have been encouraged. They market themselves to working families therefore they provide a school that provides everything without needing parents involvement, they don't hound your or make you feel bad if you can't be involved.

Posted June 3, 2006

Very traditional, 1950's educational methods - drill, drill, drill. Several teachers yell at the students on a regular basis. Several things are very telling about this school's philosophy: there's no parent association (just this year they started a booster club to raise money)- parent involvement is discouraged. I don't feel my son receives a well-rounded education here. Extracurricular programs are overrated. They changed the cafeteria offerings this year to make them more nutritional, which is great, but they still have a soda machine.

Posted May 17, 2006

My son transferred to Pinecrest from another pre-K school in Sherman Oaks. Each classroom typically has two teachers. The school is very structured and frown upon your child coming from a 'daycare' environment. Their style of teaching isn't developmental or explorative. I believe they focus on accelerated academics for advanced placement of their students, whether they continue there or go elsewhere. They are a bit pricey. Safety wise, they take extreme precautions with your child.

Posted April 12, 2006

Great teachers! Lot's of extra curriculum, homework, and projects.

Posted April 4, 2006

Wonderful school, lots of activities, caring teachers

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 1%
Hispanic N/A 52%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NIPSA

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5975 Shoup Avenue