K-7|Private

Bad
Good

I love this school, and love the teachers. I also love that they are able to offer such a high quality education at a much lower cost than other Waldorf schools. For those who don't know much about Waldorf. The Waldorf education philosophy was rather new to me as well, but seeing how my granddaughter has been developing in preschool, I have become a firm believer. Her preschool teacher is wonderful and I have seen firsthand the care and interest she shows towards developing these qualities in every child. All the kids at this school are bright, imaginative, musical, engaged, and radiate confidence. They are extraordinary. They are taught how to interact with their playmates, teachers and other adults. I had an opportunity to witness my granddaughter respond to a rather harsh comment with respect, grace and a sweetness way beyond her age. Waldorf discourages electronics for these little ones and for that I am also very grateful. I firmly believe in Waldorf’s concept that children who learn to think not only outside the box but way beyond it will be able as adults to make extraordinary contributions to society and to solving our world’s problems. It is very exciting to watch my granddaughter grow and develop under such a great philosophy, and in such a wonderful setting.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

There is no bullying at this school at all. I was bullied as a child, so I am very sensitive to it. Most schools ignore it, and treat it as a part of the childhood experience. One of the reasons I was attracted to this school is because when I visited I was amazed and how truly loving and supportive the children were with each other. This school makes it a priority to foster compassion and support for one another, and it shows! When there is a problem that arises, the teachers all get together to determine how best to handle it in a nurturing way, and it gets handled immediately. When you go to visit, you see the older kids playing with and helping the younger ones. If a child falls on the playground, rather than being made fun of, the other children rush over to make sure he/she is okay and offer assistance. You can see how the children blossom in such a supportive environment. It's how childhood should be.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The school has an great teacher to child ratio, so every child gets unique and special attention. They are able to pay attention to the needs of every student no matter what their level or learning differences, so all can blossom to their best abilities.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is something the school focuses on very effectively. Rather than just teaching academics, they also teach how to be a good person and a good member of the community. They teach how to be a good and contributory citizen of the world, that we are all connected, and we all need to support each other. There is no bullying at this school, there is no judgement, just children learning and playing together with empathy, compassion, and joy. It's amazing!

We looked at several Waldorf-based education schools before finding this wonderful gem! We've been at the school almost 2 years and we love it!! The teachers are excellent and incredibly dedicated. There is a wonderful sense of true community here. Our daughter is blossoming and can't wait to go to school each day. People are always commenting on how "bright" she is, what a large vocabulary she has, and how confident she is. And we always say "it's this wonderful school we have her in." If you're looking for a Waldorf-based education for your child, this is the place!

This is our 5th year at the City School and we would not think of going anywhere else. Both of our children attended Waldorf schools from Kindergarten and there has hardly been a day when they weren't eager and happy (i.e. chomping at the bit) to go to school, and at the City School they have been challenged and engaged from the very beginning and in every capacity. This school has been an invaluable partner in our effort to raise free and creative thinkers and warm and compassionate human beings.

We've been here for almost six years (since Kinder and now in 5th & 6th grades). It is very community oriented- promotes parent involvement and you meet other families with similar values. I like it because, unlike other Waldorf schools in L.A.- it's socio-economically diverse.

I am a current parent of a kindergartener, and I feel very fortunate to be able to be part of this school. The kindergarten teacher Kayti Henry is extraordinary with the kids. She leads the class with respect and compassion towards the children and truly makes the best out of the Waldorf educational principles. I have no experience of the upper grades, but judging by the older kids I see and interact with in the yard, I'm amazed by how thoughtful they are towards adults, younger kids and each other. It is a tight-knit and welcoming community of parents, most of whom are very regular people (not "Waldorf extremists") wanting more wholesome education than what other schools have to offer, and there are many ways to be actively involved. Compared to other Waldorf or like-minded schools in the area this school is actually affordable to a middle/working class family. So far we're very happy to have found this hidden gem.

We sent our child here for several months. It's a very positive community because of the parental involvement and caring teachers. With this in mind, you have to be really pro-waldorf and have the money to enjoy this school. Their financial aid process is secretive and harrowing. What they don't tell you, until you have put down a deposit and a hefty materials fee is that they actually scrutinize your spending habits as part of the financial aid process, not just look at your income, which is how it normally goes. Further, their attention to math and reading are dismal during the early years, as if these weren't the most important subject. A student who attends this school and then has to transfer over to a public school will be behind his peers in both math and reading. This is a HORRIBLE school for low-income people.

The City School, A Waldorf Initiative in the San Fernando Valley is a school run by dedicated, hard working teachers, who strive to work with children, parents and colleagues out of an active understanding of Rudolf Steiner's world view. Parents at the City School are a dynamic, creative and intelligent group of people on the path of discovery. Students, ages 4 to 14, of all color, temperament and ability are learning together to be citizens of the world. I love The City School.

Last modified The City School is a Private school that serves grades K-7