Miguel Contreras Learning Complex School

Public | 9-12

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $329,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted September 6, 2013

This is the baddest school I have ever been to the teachers never give a dam and always gives us way to much homework and the students in the school always bulled one another so I moved to VAPA and hade a better time.

Posted August 17, 2012

This school is terrible. I'd have to say that the kids there bully me often and the kids do some bad things when teachers aren't looking. My teachers were never really kind to me because I was different. And I didn't even really learn anything there. It wasn't a challenge for me at all and I do not recommend it to kids. One good thing about it was the clubs and activities there were a lot to keep my self occupied. But some other down sides were the restrooms that aren't kept very clean as well as some of the desks in ta classroom. The homework was ridiculous is my opinion. Always so much on stuff I didn't even learn. I hope in the future teachers will start to realize when a student is hurt because they never seem to find out when I was getting bullied. I used to have a friend who would ask me to smoke this weird stuff. I always said no but him and his friend eventually stopped after the constant teasing of me being too 'weak'. The school was okay. I don't rate it high though. I hope they change all the stuff that hurt me in that school. I wish all the kids there luck and a safe 4 years that I never had. Miguel Conteras Learning Complex, I wish you luck with future students.

Posted November 20, 2009

i honestly think this school is amazing, it wasn't until i entered this school in the academy of LASGS (Los Angeles School of Global Studies) aka new tech school did i realized my passion to write, read and help out my community, not only do i like the school but the way they go about teaching is amazing, most to all the teachers are all willing to help you, and if you have a problem or suggestions they would actually take it into consideration, and above all the classrooms are not packed in with 50 more student which i say makes it much easier to learn and for the students and teachers to have a much closer relationship :]

Posted October 29, 2009

The school is very calm and everyone is friendly to most people if not all.

Posted July 15, 2009

i have nothing but good things to say about this school, im happy that my son attends MC

Posted June 7, 2009

I have to thank this school for making me the hardworking, confident student I am today. I was in the ALC (Academic Leadership Community) academy, which prepared me for my college education. The teachers are, in my opinion, the best of the best; they're caring and extremely helpful. I'm so grateful for the education that I received here. I've just completed my first year of college, and I know that I couldn't have done it without all the skills that I acquired from MC. I even had one of my professors ask me if I went to some 'crazy magnet high school', she was surprised when I told her no! Overall, this is a great school. period.

Posted April 7, 2009

I beleive that the academy of Social Justice had open my mind to minorities and the unjustice issues of this world. It had changed me dramastically by not using any racial slurs and I love all of the teachers. They are very liberal and understanding. This is talking from a 4.0 GPA student. We have an enviromental Urban Empowerment and is well known throughout the community.

Posted April 7, 2009

I love the academy of Social Justice. In my point of view the teachers are very supportive and they show that they really care. They'll help you out with anything and I have a say in this because my biology teacher started a garden for and its had been very successful. This school is very liberal and we put down discrmination. Our academy gets active around the community and we have link to many organization. For example, Roots & Shoots who had funded our eniviromental club and had been a huge help with our projects. Also Generation Earth who is also helping us planting trees in our campus.

Posted March 27, 2009

As a student in Miguel Contreras Learning Complex from the academy of B&T, i think it is the best school throught all The Downtown Neighborhood. Many people say it lacks parent involment, that we dont have extracurricular activities and that we dont have enough faculty and principal involvement. well let me answer that, yes we do! You wouldnt know unless you attend the school urself! All the teachers are very supportive, they do anything they can to make us succeed. Our campus is the cleanest, there are no writing on walls, or anything disorganized. Our afterschool sports are great, and our classes are fun and exciting. So far, weve been chosen by even famous people for them to attend our school such as, Derek Fisher(Lakers NBA player), our own president (Barack Obama), Governor(Arnold Swarchnegger, (mayor) Antonio Villaraigosa. They could be anywhere in LA but chose MCLC! now ask yourself why?

Posted March 1, 2009

This school is horrible. Transferring in from out of state and a good school was the Biggest mistake my parents ever did. The social justice vice principle and counselor are both apathetic when it comes to helping the students. Some of the teachers let the younger students act up and disrespect the whole class, and being a student you find that there a lot of defacing of school propety; student in all of my classes etch on the tables, chairs, and walls. If any parent want to send their students here please think twice, or try a magnet.

Posted September 13, 2008

This school is the best school there is... It's not trashy...great campus...clean...and safe for everyone. The teachers really care about you and they teach great and have high expectations for you to make it to college.

Posted June 21, 2008

Awesome school. Teachers very kind and energetic in my academy (SJ). Everyone is nice to each other. Sports are good, Track and Field was a great expirience and so was Cross Country. Can't wait for my next school year!

Posted April 11, 2008

this school is great teachers are the best, clean and safe, I am a very happy parent thank you to the principal and teachers.

Posted February 14, 2008

This school looks very appealing and they did a great job on all the visuals. But they lack discipline and a good curriculum. The school is disorganized and there is very little principal/staff involvement. They do not do that great when it comes to testing and lack teachers with motivating or encouraging attitudes. I think with some work and some parent involvement, MCLC can be a much better school.

Posted February 3, 2008

Its a really good school........the small learning communities are great....ive met alot of great teachers and friends.....high school is one of the happiest times in my life......and i think miguel contreras l.c had a lot to do with it;)

Posted January 28, 2008

Awesome School! Teachers Are Great! Food Sucks But Athletics Department Is Awesome!

Posted December 16, 2007

there is a few thing our school need to improve but remember we are just starting we need time to get to be one of the best

Posted November 22, 2007

Contreras High School might look appealing to the eye but it still needs more student and community interaction and involvement. Especially parent involvement which it lacks. In addition, this school still needs improvement on its learning standard. But despite this, it still rates higher compare its neighbooring schools.

Posted October 11, 2007

This school, while appeasing to the eyes, fails terribly at everything else. Principal leadership is average. Teacher quality varies from good to extremely poor. I don't believe there is any parent involvement in the school. Discipline is terrible (one of my teachers was largely targeted by students and usually made fun of. And there's almost no extracurricular activities. I also found out that there are no electives (i.e. Journalism, Writing), which was such a terrible thing (I could've written about them on my college applications).

Posted September 20, 2007

It is a great school, the only this is, I wish they have a web site that I could check my son daily activities in school. Other than that I'm rating the school 5 stars

This school's

+27

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

227 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

204 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

Females23%

Parent education - not a high school graduate44%
Parent education - high school graduate36%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)62%
Parent education - declined to state35%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Females17%

Parent education - not a high school graduate35%
Parent education - high school graduate50%
Parent education - declined to state40%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students74%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 782 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

Employees

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

• Dalton Cole
Fax number
  • (213) 482-0232

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

322 Lucas Avenue