Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy

Charter | 9-11

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $595,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,840.

Posted June 11, 2014

This school has so much potential! The thing that makes it not as functional as it could be is that the planning and collaboration between teachers and staff occur at the last minute for everything. If this school were able to set aside more time for teacher collaboration, planning and have the year schedule planned prior to the start of school year it would be 5 star. All the problems that this school has are organizational problems. Perhaps having older, more mentor-like teachers would also help. In terms of academics, the school is amazing. At times, the irrational inconsistency of the scheduling, rules and so on make it difficult to see how well the students are performing. A stable school community would facilitate more stability in the classroom because the teachers would be on the same page. Perhaps, if the teachers functioned more like a team then they could be consistent across the board about how they want the school community to run. It seems that the more successful teachers are engaged with building a community, a team and are constantly trying to improve. Academics is a given and improves with teacher experience, thus, the need for mentor-like teachers is great.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 19, 2014

this is only a test, not a real review. I will be deleting this post very soon. I just want to see what the registration requirements are

Posted September 24, 2013

I would like to start out by saying that for the past 5 yrs. both of my boy's have expressed so many positive things about their teachers. As a parent i'm very involved and make sure that my boys are receiving the proper education. I have seen how the teachers are invested in the students education. I disagree with the negative comments that were made. If I felt that my boys were not receiving the proper education and nothing was being done. They would not be there at all. I'm a great advocate for my children. So again I disagree with the negative comments. We should be positive and optimistic and supportive instead of critizing and being negative. I can't speak for no one else but for my own experiece and I have dealt with very positive teachers and staff thru out these 5 yrs. I have also seen great improvement overall in this school KUDOS to Mrs. Bonilla and to all the Teachers and Staff. Love , Mrs. Salinas

Posted August 23, 2013

I completely disagree with all the negative comments post up on this web site . I have been attending bright star since sixth grade in 2007 and i have practically grown up in this amazing school surround by the same students who start off in this school as 11 year olds with the whole world ahead of them and 6 years later as 17 year olds in the twelelth grade are ready to hit the real world and thanks to this school that has provided us with this opportunity to stay in the same school 5th though 12th grade without changing schools every few year we have been able to build strong bonds with our friends as we have helped each other grow stronger and also this school has some of the best teachers in the world so of the teacher i had in sixth grade are now my teacher in 12th grade again. Therefore i say thank you to the founder of this school mr.hilger

Posted August 7, 2013

I agree with the review posted a few days ago. Bright Star is a good school with some teacher problems. I have multiple kids currently attending and have heard from my children that they hadnt learned much from some classes, including the history class mentioned below. I was told that this teacher has been at Bright Star for some time, close to 5 years. And each of my kids who were in his class all mention how they dont remember a thing from his class. Far from perfect, my kids get decent grades, and they all did good in his class, but say they didnt really learn anything. Aside from that, Ive heard the same innappropriate comments and innappropriate relationships are involved with this teacher. How does a person like this remain a teacher at a school with pretty good leadership? I hope Bright Star catches on eventually and does something about this. Ill be sure to speak my mind to other parents since it seems others are having the same problems.

Posted August 5, 2013

I currently have one child attending Bright Star Secondary. I completely agree with everything the school stands for and strives to achieve. The reason for my poor rating has to do with what I've heard my child complain abot regarding some of the teachers, in particular their 7th grade History teacher. I've heard from multiple kids that this particular teacher has made several inappropriate comments about students. I didn't believe it myself until meeting with this particular teacher, and he was just as advertised. He was ill-mannered, quick tempered and didn't seem to have any grasp of who my child was or where their level of understanding was in terms of subject matter. Despite that, there are some teacher's who seem to shine above these underachievers including the math department. Also, the principal at the school was very approachable and listened sincerely. If it wasn't for this one particular teacher, and a few others, Bright Star would certainly merit higher in my regards.

Posted June 9, 2013

Bright Star is a really good school. They make you think of college and TRY their best to help you. They have fun and academic trips and I think that was the best experience I had there. Though, its not the same as 3 years ago when Hilger actually reinforced rules, students have rebelled more. Maybe in a few years the school will be more organized but i think they need a lot more staff and mentors. They really screwed over a lot of students that took alot of wrong classes and they dont offer many extra curricular or AP classes. The new grading system of standard based grading has its negatives and its positive but as a student, we all know its more on the negative side. The school needs to get back to Hilgers old rules (Missing Assignments, Uniform, Hair ect) , Get organized (they really need more $$) , Fit each students needs, and get students to start acting like a family again. Parents, remember that other students can either build or break your son/daughter . Even the adults/teachers get annoyed of the sudden changes of the school,

Posted February 7, 2013

I was a student here for 5 years & it was definitely a mixed experience. The reading program (which students always complain about) is probably one of the most valuable things Bright Star has to offer. I can safely say it helped me prepare for the all the reading I need to do in college. The WLAC program is of immense help, considering it gave me a taste of what school's like in a more competitive field. Some teachers/staff members left lasting impressions on me & helped mold me into a mature young adult. As much as I'd like to continue on the positive, I can't. The way the school operates is one of the most disorganized things I'll ever experience. Their grading & reading systems change almost yearly, leaving students in danger of not graduating. Many of the rules are plain asinine. Some of the higher-ups love to play favorites, offering those favorites all the help while leaving others to fend for themselves. I had to do all of my college apps with no help whatsoever from the man we all placed our trust in; in the end, it was my own work that got me into one of the best schools in the nation. Overall, it's a good alternative to LAUSD, but the school still needs major improvement.

Posted February 5, 2013

I will like to acknowledge the great team work over at BrightStar. As a Parent I admire how the teachers take great interest in supporting every student by assisting them achieve their educational goal!. I also commend the teachers efforts in making the students understand how education should be their great priority and how they can invest their time being more productive. My first has attended for 3 consecutive years and has not only built a great rapport with his teachers they take the time to keep communication with Me. My other son just began attending this year and the teachers facilitated his transition easier than other schools would. The Principal has done so much for our school is increadible. Great Work!!! These are the positive feed back that I have for the Teachers and Staff. Sincerely, Mrs. Salinas

Posted October 15, 2012

My daughter hs been in this school for 3 consecutive years...the first one was okay, the second one was not good and the third year was excellent. I as a parent will accept that children are sometimes irresponsible and so cause their own failure, but I didn't give up! I am very happy to say that my child has learned from that. This is a great school. I'm definetley with them on their strict rules. Mrs. Bonilla is a great principal.

Posted November 18, 2011

To all parents looking for an alternative to the rat race that is LAUSD give Bright Star a try. My child was at a crossroads, she could have went either way.Since attending Bright Star she has made a complete turnaround.The one-on-one with instructors, the attentive counselors and the high standards in which students are held to has rekindled my teens love for learning. And the best part is the student body and administration are like family. I'm so grateful to have found Bright Star.

Posted July 2, 2011

Me siento muy orgullosa que mi hijo asista a esta escuela puedo ver su progreso en sus buenas calificasiones siempre estan pendientes de eyos tanto en estudios tareas y avances como en su alimentacion todo lo que nosotros como padres buscamos para nuestros ninos lo mejor y siempre hay mucha informacion felicidades a todo el persona de la escuela y gracias por preocuparse por nuestro ninos Dios los Bendiga por esa gran labor que se esmeran por aser todo lo mejor para nuestros ninos. Clara Gonzalez madre de un nino de noveno grado

Posted June 29, 2011

This school has a great academic curriculum. They prepare their students to go to the University. The students are rewarded with trips at the beginning and at the end of the year. These are incentives for the students to do better, they know that if they don't do good with the classes they don't go to end of the year trip.

Posted May 23, 2011

It was recently announced that Bright Star Secondary is the recipient of the 2011 California Distinguished School Award!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 7, 2011

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy is a great school! The programs are always changing for the better. Students we're not passing in the prior years and the principal decided that another program be created to help those students get the credits. The program is called Elements, the teachers assign homework, but the students crumble it and don't ever go back to it. The school also has a Junior college program where, some students go to West LA college in the morning to take college courses and then in the afternoon they take high school courses. The school is prestigious and wants only the best for its students. Of course everyone complains about the long, dreadful hours, the homework, the online assignments and the strict rules, but in the long run, it's helpful. I love my school, even though it's strict and the curriculum is hard. We have sports, clubs, cheer&dance, ASB and two computer rooms. This school is going to be a high ranking, prestigious school in the future!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 20, 2011

This school is disorganized, they make up rules as they go, they change A's to F's if a child being absent due to illness! The principal does not addresses concerns. I must say some teachers are dedicated; but others terrorize our children w the modem of "My classroom, my rules your parents do not count here". Students are racists toward the few african-american students and cruel racists jokes are made and the admin. apparently does not have knowledge of this; but if your child forgets a pen, belt or is growing a NATURAL facial hair they are sent to CP and they have the nerve to force the kids to shave at school with their 'CLEAN FACE" policy but their own teachers have facial hair and outrageous haircuts! Some teachers wear revealing tops and tight clothing. I was asked to be an embassador for this school; but I don't intend to go into the community and lie to people. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL! I agree that ELEMENTS program is discouraging children to pursue college careers. You do not solve a problem by segregating. Get organized and listen to your parents of ALL RACES !

Posted November 22, 2010

this school is not that good of a school but i went there for one semester and they just really don't have it under control. the school is very unorganized and they make up rules as they go. they also changed any C's to F's its just not a really school so please don't go to that school. they make students stand up if they didn't do their homework but yet they want to send students to CP (connecting place) which is like the deans office if they didn't bring a belt. the school is really unorganized and isn't ran well. i dislike the school
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 12, 2010

I am not pleased with this school, no homework is given, My child was put into an program called Elements which segregates them from the other Bright Star students. No child left behind is not at all represented at this school. The school focus is set up to fail students. My child's classmates from their honors program informed them that the students in the Elements program will NOT go to college. I am not pleased with the dismal at the end of the day for the Elements student. I was informed by a parent who child is in the honors program had to stand up if homework is not completed. My child received a progress report was excellent...but I still questioned her grades...I now see why we as parents in the Element setting do not meet in a group but one on one. the office staff is not friendly at all until they are approached by a Spanish speaking parent and immediately a bond is formed. There were some things that I disagreed with at my child's former school but I addressed the matter and it was explained and I continued to support my child. My child enjoyed her middle school, but every since day one my child has not been pleased with this school.

Posted September 27, 2010

Bright Star Academy has a great and challenging academic programs, That gives their students the right tools for their journey in the real world. In this school every student is an invidual and No!! student is left behind. Special Thanks to its founder for giving our Kids this opportunity.

Posted June 5, 2010

This is a fantastic school. My children have really progressed academically and are really enjoying themselves.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students15%

Parent education - high school graduate69%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)59%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate67%
Parent education - declined to state38%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students61%

Fluent-English proficient and English only66%
Parent education - not a high school graduate59%
Parent education - high school graduate50%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students87%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 92%N/AN/A
English language learners 16%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs