Public charter
Los Angeles, CA

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy
Grateful to: School leader

Posted September 14, 2015
Connector Ms. Alvarez has been caring, professional, and encourages my child when she feels discouraged. She has formed an integral part in my daughter's life. Principal Ms. Bonilla, has directly handled an issue with promptness and professionalism despite her busy schedule. SHe is a great leader for the school!

Posted September 14, 2015
Perfection takes teamwork. Collaboration and involvement between Parents and Teachers are imperative for the student to achieve academic success. I understand most parents work and have other children to take care of, so do Teachers. They have their own families, professional trainings, lesson plans, along with last minute changes due to district demands, however they make it their priority to teach our children and meet their academic needs. Administration has also proven to hire the most qualified teachers. My daughter has been in Brightstar schools since the fifth grade, she is now in 10th grade. She has been challenged so much in her classes and also encouraged by her teachers. Nevertheless the teaching and encouraging does not end at school, despite my busy schedule, I am the most influential person and the one with full responsibility to continue forming a part of her education. Consistency and persistence with love is a must for us parents. BSSCA has continued to fullfill my expectations as a parent. They encourage our children go far beyond their own expectations by offering AP classes at no cost to them. They award trips to high achieving students at no or minimum cost, unlike other schools. Of course no school is perfect, but BSSCA and their staff are there to address the issue and resolve the matter in a professional way making sure all parties are heard and involved. The staff is competent and caring. Needless to say my daughter has blossomed and continues to achieve each year. There have been bumps along the way, but with an appointment to address the issue, the staff is more than willing to handle the matter in a professional way. Personally I am so thankful to the way Principal Ms. Bonilla and Mr. Pappas have handled my concerns in the past, promptly and professionally. Also connector Ms. Alvarez has exceeded my expectations. This schoool is small and this makes the admistrators more aware of any situation that may arise which helps keep our students safe. This school is now my daughter's second family. She continues to Thrive!!

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy 3

Posted June 11, 2014
This school has so much potential! The thing that makes it not as functional as it could be is that the planning and collaboration between teachers and staff occur at the last minute for everything. If this school were able to set aside more time for teacher collaboration, planning and have the year schedule planned prior to the start of school year it would be 5 star. All the problems that this school has are organizational problems. Perhaps having older, more mentor-like teachers would also help. In terms of academics, the school is amazing. At times, the irrational inconsistency of the scheduling, rules and so on make it difficult to see how well the students are performing. A stable school community would facilitate more stability in the classroom because the teachers would be on the same page. Perhaps, if the teachers functioned more like a team then they could be consistent across the board about how they want the school community to run. It seems that the more successful teachers are engaged with building a community, a team and are constantly trying to improve. Academics is a given and improves with teacher experience, thus, the need for mentor-like teachers is great.

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy 4

Posted May 19, 2014
this is only a test, not a real review. I will be deleting this post very soon. I just want to see what the registration requirements are

Posted September 26, 2013
the best school so far. They did so much for my son Ms sibling used to be a teacher there she was the best thing that can happen to my son.But overall great school

Posted September 24, 2013
I would like to start out by saying that for the past 5 yrs. both of my boy's have expressed so many positive things about their teachers. As a parent i'm very involved and make sure that my boys are receiving the proper education. I have seen how the teachers are invested in the students education. I disagree with the negative comments that were made. If I felt that my boys were not receiving the proper education and nothing was being done. They would not be there at all. I'm a great advocate for my children. So again I disagree with the negative comments. We should be positive and optimistic and supportive instead of critizing and being negative. I can't speak for no one else but for my own experiece and I have dealt with very positive teachers and staff thru out these 5 yrs. I have also seen great improvement overall in this school KUDOS to Mrs. Bonilla and to all the Teachers and Staff. Love , Mrs. Salinas

Posted August 23, 2013
I completely disagree with all the negative comments post up on this web site . I have been attending bright star since sixth grade in 2007 and i have practically grown up in this amazing school surround by the same students who start off in this school as 11 year olds with the whole world ahead of them and 6 years later as 17 year olds in the twelelth grade are ready to hit the real world and thanks to this school that has provided us with this opportunity to stay in the same school 5th though 12th grade without changing schools every few year we have been able to build strong bonds with our friends as we have helped each other grow stronger and also this school has some of the best teachers in the world so of the teacher i had in sixth grade are now my teacher in 12th grade again. Therefore i say thank you to the founder of this school mr.hilger

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy 2

Posted August 07, 2013
I agree with the review posted a few days ago. Bright Star is a good school with some teacher problems. I have multiple kids currently attending and have heard from my children that they hadnt learned much from some classes, including the history class mentioned below. I was told that this teacher has been at Bright Star for some time, close to 5 years. And each of my kids who were in his class all mention how they dont remember a thing from his class. Far from perfect, my kids get decent grades, and they all did good in his class, but say they didnt really learn anything. Aside from that, Ive heard the same innappropriate comments and innappropriate relationships are involved with this teacher. How does a person like this remain a teacher at a school with pretty good leadership? I hope Bright Star catches on eventually and does something about this. Ill be sure to speak my mind to other parents since it seems others are having the same problems.

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy 1

Posted August 05, 2013
I currently have one child attending Bright Star Secondary. I completely agree with everything the school stands for and strives to achieve. The reason for my poor rating has to do with what I've heard my child complain abot regarding some of the teachers, in particular their 7th grade History teacher. I've heard from multiple kids that this particular teacher has made several inappropriate comments about students. I didn't believe it myself until meeting with this particular teacher, and he was just as advertised. He was ill-mannered, quick tempered and didn't seem to have any grasp of who my child was or where their level of understanding was in terms of subject matter. Despite that, there are some teacher's who seem to shine above these underachievers including the math department. Also, the principal at the school was very approachable and listened sincerely. If it wasn't for this one particular teacher, and a few others, Bright Star would certainly merit higher in my regards.

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy 2

Posted June 09, 2013
Bright Star is a really good school. They make you think of college and TRY their best to help you. They have fun and academic trips and I think that was the best experience I had there. Though, its not the same as 3 years ago when Hilger actually reinforced rules, students have rebelled more. Maybe in a few years the school will be more organized but i think they need a lot more staff and mentors. They really screwed over a lot of students that took alot of wrong classes and they dont offer many extra curricular or AP classes. The new grading system of standard based grading has its negatives and its positive but as a student, we all know its more on the negative side. The school needs to get back to Hilgers old rules (Missing Assignments, Uniform, Hair ect) , Get organized (they really need more $$) , Fit each students needs, and get students to start acting like a family again. Parents, remember that other students can either build or break your son/daughter . Even the adults/teachers get annoyed of the sudden changes of the school,

Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy
5431 West 98th Street, Los Angeles, CA  90045
Last modified Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 9-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bright Star Secondary Charter Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top