Aldama Elementary School

Public | K-6

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $280,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,290.

Posted April 28, 2014

Amazing Teachers and Dual Language Program. This school is at a very exciting time, huge parent involvement and high standards in curriculum.

Posted April 2, 2014

I love Aldama! My daughter is in the dual language program and her teachers are the best. I look forward to the next 6 years!!!!

Posted December 15, 2013

this school is great because they seem to try to stop bulling so hard and i as a student feel like this a wonderful thing

Posted October 24, 2013

I am a dual language parent and I am extremely impressed by the knowledge, dedication and creativity the teachers in the DL program exude. In addition to the teachers, great families and a supportive and encouraging principle made this the top choice for me. (I, too, looked at Magnets, Charters, etc) As a bilingual, I was having a hard time transferring my knowledge to my son and this school is completely bridging the gap. Also, to know that the arts (drawing/art/dancing) play as much a role as readers/writing workshops & CGI math, makes me feel like I made the right choice. The growth I've seen in 2 months has been amazing.

Posted September 26, 2013

I am another Dual Language parent that is very happy so far with Aldama. Like many of the other parents who end up choosing Aldama, I went on a long search before deciding on this school. Besides the advantage of learning a second language, they have innovative methods to teaching other subjects, such as Reader/Writer Workshop for language learning and CGI for math.

Posted September 24, 2013

One month in for our kinder gal at the Dual Language program at Aldama and we couldn't be happier. Great principal, fantastic families and extremely dedicated teachers. I am amazed at how much she has learned in English, Spanish and all subject areas in such a brief amount of time and can't wait for more to come.

Posted September 23, 2013

Aldama Elementary has a fantastic dual language immersion program. It is absolutely mind blowing to see these kids listen, learn and then speak two languages at such a young age. The teachers are great and we can't wait to see how our little one progresses each year.

Posted June 1, 2013

I am a grandparent of two students at Aldama and a weekly volunteer. Aldama has a thriving Dual Language program (English/Spanish). The 6th grade has moved back to Aldama from the local middle school, a distinct advantage for the students. The teachers and staff are dedicated and caring. The students are involved, anxious to learn and polite. Don't let the "3" score chase you away. This is a fantastic school!

Posted February 19, 2013

We feel so lucky to have found such a great school nearby. Our daughter is in her second year in the dual language program, and we continue to be blown away by the talent and dedication of the teachers. GO HAWKS!!!

Posted January 29, 2013

Thanks to the dual language program at Aldama, my little gringitos can talk to anyone in our neighborhood. We walk to school. We love highland park. But, the most impressive part of the school to me are the teachers. They are incredible!

Posted January 29, 2013

I am the proud parent of a 1st grader who is enrolled in Aldama Elementary's dual language program. I am amazed at the dedication of the teachers, school staff, and parents at this school.There is a great sense of community at Aldama and everyone rallies together to support our wonderful Aldama students. She is only in 1st grade, and I am excited to see my daughter's proficiency and continued growth in reading, in TWO languages!! And my daughter loves her school and her teachers : )

Posted November 12, 2012

I love our school! I myself came here as a kid and have nothing but great memories! So, when it came down to enrolling my son in school, I never second guessed my decision in signing him up for Aldama. The staff & teachers are incredible. Everyone is so invovled with the childrens education & it makes us as parents want to be part of all the amazing activities they have for kids. My son looks forward to going to school everyday! Theres nothing more I could ask for.

Posted November 5, 2012

I love our school! I can't imagine there being staff and faculty more dedicated anywhere. Our children are so lucky to attend this school.

Posted November 3, 2012

I am new to Aldama Elementary's Dual Language Program. My daughter is fortunate to have two "winning" teachers in her kinder program. Teachers who are dedicated, motivated to learn and teach, fun, loving and bring something new and exciting to the classroom each week. Sra. Saenz and Ms. Jung are way above average on the dedicated to teaching scale. They respect their students and love watching them learn. I witness this. My stepmother has been a life long educator and principal in San Diego County and when she observed the program, she was impressed by the strategies and teaching methods they brought to the classroom. It is within LAUSD and therefore faces the budget challenges that most schools (private or public) have in these economic times. But the commitment by the parent community and PTA to raise funds to support important programs at the school is strong and growing. It takes a village these days to make any school great and I am proud to be a part of Aldama's community. I am dedicating my time and energy to see this school succeed and am motivated by my daughter's enthusiasm. Principal is new so I give her 4 stars for enthusiasm. Parent involvement growing.

Posted November 3, 2012

I am thrilled that we found Aldama. My son is in kindergarten and we have been absolutely blown away by the dedication of the teachers and what he has learned in just a few months. We really love the Readers/Writers Workshop approach. And the CGI math has taught him different ways to think about numbers, which he has enjoyed exploring. I would argue that the schools API scores don't accurately reflect what is going on in the Dual Language program. Both in terms of language and cultural education, I feel he is getting a very well-rounded education. Given the socio-economics of the neighborhood and the budget challenges public schools face these days, the school is definitely lacking in resources. We're working to address these things, but need more active, involved parents to help. Despite this, the caliber of the educational experience in the dual program is definitely top-notch

Posted November 2, 2012

How lucky for us that we found this gem in our own neighborhood! This is our third year at Aldama, second year in the dual program. My son is reading above grade level in his primary language and getting stronger in his secondary language everyday. The teachers are caring, committed and wonderful. My son is not only gaining knowledge, he's gaining cultural pride and confidence in who he is and where he comes from. The school is diverse and the program becomes stronger every year!!

Posted February 13, 2012

My son is in the dual program at Aldama Elementary and I couldn't ask for more in terms of learning Spanish as a second language, being connected to a network of supportive and caring neighborhood families and with a faculty and administrator who are committed to ensuring that children care about and find meaning in what they are learning. My son is not only gaining a fantastic educational experience, he is also living and learning with children from diverse cultural, linguistic and economic backgrounds. The realities of our city and community are at his doorstep and everyone's experience and cultural norms are becoming his. This experience is priceless and our family feels so fortunate to have this opportunity in our very own neighborhood. Our school brings families of Northeast Los Angeles together! And... Abuelita is proud of her only grandchild who knows how to speak Spanish :)!

Posted February 3, 2012

Exciting things are happening in the Dual Language program in terms of teacher training, thanks to the efforts of the teachers themselves who are very motivated. The school principal is wonderful- warm, yet with great executive abilities and accesable to parents. The facility itself is clean, airy and bright. There is parent participation in the Dual Language program primarily through the PTA- who fundraises for enrichment programs- however parent participation and collaboration does not extend to the classroom. Parents are discouraged at the onset from visiting the classroom and there is no regular communication from the teachers about what is going on there. Classroom management techniques consist of the standard LAUSD behavior "color card" system and teachers are not trained in methods that better promote social and emotional intelligence. The curriculum also does not appear to be project based. The Dual language program has its pluses and minuses. Overall, it is an above average program with room for improvement

Posted September 28, 2011

I can't express enough how amazing this school is. We are now in our fourth year at Aldama with two children in attendance. They both have amazing teachers! The staff and Ms Naval in particular work very hard at their job and improving our school. Coach Williams and the PTA continue to make Aldama fun for the kids. Ms Alvarez makes Aldama feel like a home. She nurtures and loves each one of our children. I am so glad we chose our local school instead of a charter. Our girls are in a great place. Thank you Aldama!

Posted September 28, 2011

Aldama's dual language program Spanish-English program is on the leading edge of education in Los Angeles. With excellent teachers, a strongly supportive principal and highly involved parents, students are getting 21st century skills and top-notch education. As a parent at the school, I don't have experience with the regular elementary classes but know that the benefits of dual language are transferring to the whole school in fundraising, parental involvement and buzz. Aldama has been featured in the Los Angeles Times and gotten strong support from current and former school board members.

This school's

+12

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 680 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• (323) 254-2159

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

632 North Avenue 50