Los Angeles, CA

Aldama Elementary School 3

Posted August 14, 2015
Wasn't comfortable with the lack of emphasis on social-emotional learning and team-building in the dual language program. Had to pull out our kids to find a better fit elsewhere.

Posted July 30, 2015
Aldama has the MOST INCREDIBLE COMMUNITY of families. We are all commited to always making improvments at our school. The dual language program is impressive and the teachers are dedicated. Serigo Corral is a very responsive and caring principal and has done a wonderful job this last year. There are still hicups to work out at our school but the passion and dedication of the staff and families make it well worth attending. I am a teacher myself and overall have been very happy here. We are really looking forward to an amazing year in 2nd grade.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 30, 2015
SInce we are only going into second grade. I can say kindergarten was amazing!!!! Knock your socks off and thrill you to death awesome. First grade had challenges, but things are changing at that grade level and I've heard amazing things about the teachers in both 2nd and 3rd.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 30, 2015
Our principal is a stronger leader and handles conflicts well. If there is an issue it is dealt with quickly and fairly. Students are clearly informed of expected behavior. In my experience, they also understand the needs of other students, which may be different than their own. I feel like my son is learning that equal isn't always fair because everyone is not equal.

Posted November 15, 2014
We've been very happy with the school overall. The vast majority of the teachers we've met and worked with have been wonderful and the principal this year seems committed to improvement. He's also much more responsive to parent concerns than the past administration. Nothing is perfect and there are definitely some improvements I'd like to see. Some of the really wonderful and innovative curriculum and teaching methods that parents have mentioned in reviews are indeed great, but unfortunately implementation is spotty and many teachers need further training to implement them effectively.. The school would benefit greatly from a more consistent approach to teaching philosophy and more progressive behavior management practices. But overall I am very pleased the decision to send our children to Aldama. They are thriving and getting a high-quality public education at our neighborhood school which is not something I would have thought possible when we moved here 10 years ago. With a few improvements this school could be really amazing and It seems to be moving in the right direction. I'm also very excited that the dual language program is expanding into middle school next year!

Posted November 14, 2014
I love Aldama. My daughter is in the Dual Language program and is thriving in 1st grade. My wife and I are in constant awe at how much her brain is soaking up and how quickly. The new 1st grade teacher is fantastic. I like the new principal - he seems committed and eager to make this school the best it can be and then some. Lots of parent involvement, but the good kind of involvement - not the annoying meddlesome kind. Highly recommend this school.

Posted November 13, 2014
I have a child enrolled in the Dual Language Kindergarden. I am very pleased. He is thriving! I am very impressed by the teachers and the curriculum, particularly their writing workshop and math collections activities. The principal is new to the school this year and seems eager and responsive to parents but it is too early to assess him. The campus is much larger and nicer than it appears from the front at Avenue 50. I do wish there were more green spaces though--a lot of concrete!

Posted April 28, 2014
Amazing Teachers and Dual Language Program. This school is at a very exciting time, huge parent involvement and high standards in curriculum.

Posted December 15, 2013
this school is great because they seem to try to stop bulling so hard and i as a student feel like this a wonderful thing

Posted October 24, 2013
Our son is enrolled in the dual language program (now in 2nd grade) and we are very happy. His Spanish is progressing and he is doing well in all subjects there. There are amazing, dedicated parents, teachers and staff, including Ms. Alvarez who knows everybody's name and makes Aldama feel like a home.

632 North Avenue 50, Los Angeles, CA  90042
Last modified Aldama Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aldama Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top