Los Angeles, CA

Aldama Elementary School 4

Posted November 15, 2014
We've been very happy with the school overall. The vast majority of the teachers we've met and worked with have been wonderful and the principal this year seems committed to improvement. He's also much more responsive to parent concerns than the past administration. Nothing is perfect and there are definitely some improvements I'd like to see. Some of the really wonderful and innovative curriculum and teaching methods that parents have mentioned in reviews are indeed great, but unfortunately implementation is spotty and many teachers need further training to implement them effectively.. The school would benefit greatly from a more consistent approach to teaching philosophy and more progressive behavior management practices. But overall I am very pleased the decision to send our children to Aldama. They are thriving and getting a high-quality public education at our neighborhood school which is not something I would have thought possible when we moved here 10 years ago. With a few improvements this school could be really amazing and It seems to be moving in the right direction. I'm also very excited that the dual language program is expanding into middle school next year!

Aldama Elementary School 4

Posted November 14, 2014
I love Aldama. My daughter is in the Dual Language program and is thriving in 1st grade. My wife and I are in constant awe at how much her brain is soaking up and how quickly. The new 1st grade teacher is fantastic. I like the new principal - he seems committed and eager to make this school the best it can be and then some. Lots of parent involvement, but the good kind of involvement - not the annoying meddlesome kind. Highly recommend this school.

Posted November 13, 2014
I have a child enrolled in the Dual Language Kindergarden. I am very pleased. He is thriving! I am very impressed by the teachers and the curriculum, particularly their writing workshop and math collections activities. The principal is new to the school this year and seems eager and responsive to parents but it is too early to assess him. The campus is much larger and nicer than it appears from the front at Avenue 50. I do wish there were more green spaces though--a lot of concrete!

Posted April 28, 2014
Amazing Teachers and Dual Language Program. This school is at a very exciting time, huge parent involvement and high standards in curriculum.

Posted December 15, 2013
this school is great because they seem to try to stop bulling so hard and i as a student feel like this a wonderful thing

Posted October 24, 2013
I am a dual language parent and I am extremely impressed by the knowledge, dedication and creativity the teachers in the DL program exude. In addition to the teachers, great families and a supportive and encouraging principle made this the top choice for me. (I, too, looked at Magnets, Charters, etc) As a bilingual, I was having a hard time transferring my knowledge to my son and this school is completely bridging the gap. Also, to know that the arts (drawing/art/dancing) play as much a role as readers/writing workshops & CGI math, makes me feel like I made the right choice. The growth I've seen in 2 months has been amazing.

Posted September 26, 2013
I am another Dual Language parent that is very happy so far with Aldama. Like many of the other parents who end up choosing Aldama, I went on a long search before deciding on this school. Besides the advantage of learning a second language, they have innovative methods to teaching other subjects, such as Reader/Writer Workshop for language learning and CGI for math.

Posted September 24, 2013
One month in for our kinder gal at the Dual Language program at Aldama and we couldn't be happier. Great principal, fantastic families and extremely dedicated teachers. I am amazed at how much she has learned in English, Spanish and all subject areas in such a brief amount of time and can't wait for more to come.

Posted September 23, 2013
Aldama Elementary has a fantastic dual language immersion program. It is absolutely mind blowing to see these kids listen, learn and then speak two languages at such a young age. The teachers are great and we can't wait to see how our little one progresses each year.

Posted June 01, 2013
I am a grandparent of two students at Aldama and a weekly volunteer. Aldama has a thriving Dual Language program (English/Spanish). The 6th grade has moved back to Aldama from the local middle school, a distinct advantage for the students. The teachers and staff are dedicated and caring. The students are involved, anxious to learn and polite. Don't let the "3" score chase you away. This is a fantastic school!

Aldama Elementary School
632 North Avenue 50, Los Angeles, CA  90042
Last modified Aldama Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aldama Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top