Los Angeles, CA

Posted August 29, 2014
I wouldn't even know where to start. There are so many problems with this school. Lack of resources, lack of a good principal, moody teachers, and yes, that very abrasive British woman.

Posted August 24, 2014
WOW! Seems like same old problems there. My son graduated a couple years back and I was thinking about my daughter going, but the same problems are allowed to continue with the bossy British woman who thinks she runs the school. It was there then and I can't believe it is still happening now. This causes so much tension which now seems to be effecting all aspects of the school. (Maybe that's why all the principals left!) Time to look elsewhere!

Atwater Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted August 06, 2014
As a previous poster mentioned there are problems within the parent group leadership. Thats an easy problem to fix though so it doesnt make it a bad school. This school has tried hard and until this past year it was doing pretty well. Hopefully we will be able to fix or remove the problems this year, and go back to being the great school we used to be. I'd encourage people to take a chance on this school. We have the potential to be great, even if we are having some problems now. Its a good little neighborhood school.

Atwater Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted August 06, 2014
. I don't know much about the parents groups, I only know what I had heard on the grapevine. My experiences at the school has been okay. My kids like there teechers. I went there to, class of '80!

Posted August 06, 2014
I'd love to give this a good review because I have lived in this neighborhood my whole life and my husband and me both went to this school. So much has changed. The parent group leader does turn people off, but who cares? An adult should be able to ignore someone with a difficult personality. The real problem has more to do with principals coming and going, and a uncaring staff. My child graduated this year so it wasn't a problem for us for too long, and I hope it improves by the time my grandbaby can start school. I'd love to be able to return.

Atwater Avenue Elementary School 5

Posted August 06, 2014
I can't imagine where all this is coming from. The booster club leader does EVERYTHING at that school. She has a few other moms who help out a little, but she is down there doing most of it. She is the most dedicated volunteer I have ever seen. She really does run the school, and they are all lucky to have her doing it! She led the movement to free us from the ineffectual new principal we had been saddled with, and she worked hard to choose the new one we will be getting soon. If more of the people complaining actually go down there to volunteer themselves, they will see exactly what this woman has done to protect our students, and how selflessly she gives of her time. You will see that she is there everyday, leading the other volunteers by example. We are a great school, with a great staff, and a rock star of a parent group leader! Come for a visit, and see for yourself.

Atwater Avenue Elementary School 5

Posted August 06, 2014
We have a very dedicated staff and our parent group is led by a vibrant community activist, and volunteer! We have struggled with the problems of finding a new principal, and she has been a constant source of comfort and reassurance through that process. We are back on track now, and we invite you all to join us! You will love this happy little school!

Atwater Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted August 06, 2014
This school is a mixture of good and bad. They have a uniform policy which is good but they don't enforce their policy which is bad. They have fairly good teachers there, but they have had three principals in less than a year. There is an active parent teacher organization, but they are clickish and alienate people. Parents used to be able to walk to the classroom to pick up their kids and see the teacher if need be, now we are stopped at the gate and made to crowd there while the kids slowly trickle out. You can't bring cookies on your kids birthday because that "takes away from valuable instruction time," but they feed them cake and orange juice for breakfast. They try to push attendance, but it's still really poor. I guess I would say this school is average. If I had an alternative to this school, I'd probably take it, but I don't so we'll stick it out and hope it improves.

Atwater Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted July 13, 2014
I was so sad to see the new Principal Mr. Burge leave. He was a caring and compassionate person who always put the students first. It was nice to see a strong principal who wasn't bullied by a few parents who think they run the school. I wish him the best, but sad for the school.

Posted May 28, 2014
Atwater elementary, I am shocked that a teacher is still there, 3rd grade, every year picks on a few kids to bully, and makes their lives miserable, everyone knows it. You're right about elitism, it's so sad.

Atwater Avenue Elementary School
3271 Silver Lake Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90039
Last modified Atwater Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Atwater Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top