Los Angeles, CA
Students enrolled: 1,175

Berendo Middle School 5

Posted February 07, 2015
This school year, we are not only supporting our current school programs and seeking for excellent ones, but we implementing university level style online classes. Students attend regular classes with online support such as assignment and class material that can be access at school, home or anywhere our students have Internet and computer access to complete their assignments. We utilize online class technology same as our local colleges and universities to provide our students with at least seven years head start for college or university experience.

Berendo Middle School 1

Posted July 17, 2013
I went to this school a couple years ago and frankly, it's quite terrible! Teachers call it "after school tutoring" but it's more like forced detention. I hope administrators realize that keeping students for over an hour needs a 24-hour prior notification to their parents? Also, the school is practically run by the parents.

Posted March 26, 2012
im currently a 8th grader and im about to finish middle school in 3 months ;( let me tell you something this school is GOOD! the math department is really good we score really high in math tests because berendo has before school and after school tutroing and that helps alot. the classes are good and the elctives are creative too but now we only have dance band and digital arts but they are good this school has the most amazing people and i honestly dont want to leave it berendo has been very fun they celebrate diffrent cultures and have dances:) they are very fun this school has improved ALOT!

Berendo Middle School 5

Posted March 21, 2010
I am a garden volunteer who helped out on a project at Berendo for the Mayor's Day of Service. I was so impressed with the families and the administration. Hundreds of students and their family members came out to serve their community. Principal Bilovsky has assembled an exemplary staff that works above and beyond to create a safe, beautiful and enriching environment for their students and the broader community. They are heros, and Berendo is an amazing school.

Posted September 28, 2009
This is a Pretty Cool School for your children. It has Cool Teachers and good supervision. They also have the most strict deans so its mostly rare for your kid to het in trouble !

Posted November 07, 2008
Im a current student at this school and its a great school! It used to be non-academic and test scores were way too low! All of that has changed now and teachers are really showing a lot of dedication nowadays. Especially in the 8th grade, where teachers even make you show up before school, after school, nutruion, lunch, and make you go to saturday school and intersession. I have honors in all my classes and in my algebra class, the head of the math department goes to visit us daily and sometimes even teaches our whole period because he's so impressed with our work and we are always ahead in our work compared to normal classes. When the normal algebra class is studying slopes and linear graphs/equations, we're, on the other hand, studying quadratic equations and functions or polynomials and factoring.

Posted June 23, 2008
I was a proud Alumni at this school. The problem in this schoolis that the students see it as a social gathering not a place of education. I you have a good child that wants to study then there should be no problem. But, the education is not that demanding. It took me a really long time to adjust to Hamilton Humaities Magnet. (which is a great school and it is worth all the work) So, maybe try sending your child somewhere else.

Berendo Middle School 3

Posted July 28, 2007
As a former teacher at this school I can say that the quality of the education depends upon the administration and the dedication of the parents. There was a horrible principal who almost destroyed the school. Others have done well. Students have gone on to receive full scholarships to Ive League colleges. For the neighborhood, the school is safe and offers many activities after school. Most teachers are dedicated, but there are a few slackers. Too few parents are actually involved in their students education. Those that support their students and encourage them can benefit from a decent public school in a marginal school district.

Berendo Middle School 3

Posted May 09, 2007
As for the extracurricular activities is great. The teachers that teaches music art drama etc. are really dedicated to come everyday and show the students new things. But most of the teachers meet up to the standards. I'm not sure how they discipline the students are correct.

Posted August 24, 2005
The school has dedicated staff and teachers who care about the quality of teaching. Great staff and teacher support as well!

1157 South Berendo Street, Los Angeles, CA  90006
Last modified Berendo Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Berendo Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top