John Burroughs Middle School

Public | K-8 | 1966 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 10, 2014

This is by far probably one of the worst middle schools of all. THERE IS A LOT OF BULLYING! I know so many people including me who have been bullied. I've been bullied in front of teachers and they do nothing about it! They basically support the bullying! Not only that but the teachers are terrible! Mrs. Willars is the worst! She never explains anything. Mr.Lee stares into his computer screen and unclearly explains everything. Mrs.Corona is boring and rude! Mrs.Abejero is close to mental and has such a thick accent you can't understand anything! Now for the staff members! Mr.Drake is lazy, and he doesn't like parental involvement. Mrs. Pearson is one of the worst! When you're being bullied all she does is call the person that bullied you, into her office, gives them detention, and they are free to go! This school made me hate learning and people.

Posted September 26, 2013

John Burroughs Middle School is a great school. The teachers and curriculum are fantastic. Yes

Posted September 19, 2013

I am a parent of an 8th grader. Her experience at John Burroughs Middle School was one of the worst. This school isn't education oriented at all. The teachers here are extremely lazy and unethical. I can name a few: Ms. Corona-the rudest an the most boring teacher. Ms. Davidson-highly unethical, lazy and unmotivated. On top of that, she orders pizza in the middle of class! Ms Abejero-is the WORST of ALL! Not only did she not teach my child anything, she has random mental breakdowns in the middle of her classes. Thick accent, to the point where none of her students understand her. Tests do correlate with the material given in the book or in class! Mr. Edelman is an older gentleman with no initiative or energy to even teach adults. MS. BEVERLY PEARSON-MAGNET COORDINATOR IS BEYOND RUDE! If she cannot speak to us, parents in a respectful way, what should we expect from her when she speaks to our children? Every time a parent comes to her with a certain issue or concern, Ms Beverly Pearson shoo's them away . I have a second child who is a couple of years away from middle school. There is NO way I would put him through what my daughter is going through right now!

Posted September 11, 2013

i never attended this school but a family member did this school should improve and the staff should improve i attended emerson junior high in 1970 a much better school and i made lots of friends.

Posted September 10, 2013

My daughter gose here i went here as well as all my other children , my Brothers and sisters this is a great school love the teacher and the Principal.

Posted August 16, 2013

I graduated from this school in 2008, and have read some of the comments on this site regarding it. Yes, I agree, there were some racial cliques forming when I was in school, too. However, my group of friends were multi-racial and close-knit. (We were Ethiopian, Russian, German, Italian, Thai, Korean, Filipino, and Romanian.) While other kids may have been in their own racial groups, I still feel that so many students had a friendly connection to their teachers. Going to school was something I looked forward to daily, and I'm appalled students in the present generation disagree.

Posted August 9, 2013

Wow. This is an amzing school with amazingly dedicated staff, hardworking principal, and educationally motivated students. The outside is beautifully maintained. This school is at the level of, if not better than, an expensive private school.

Posted July 12, 2013

I graduated this year to rate the school it was really bad. I mean if they were going to tell us to fill in a survey about what needs to change I mean shouldn't you try to change it. for example the bathroom was really dirty when I was 6 grade and when I was 7 grade the bathroom was even more disgusting and in 8 grade the bathroom was so disgusting I couldn't stand to go inside but I only went because of my friends. some teachers are nice but I saw a history teacher make her students run around the field and then go to there fourth period after. I didn't even feel safe in this school. I am kind of embarrassed to say I went to that school. just because of there api does not mean they are a good school inside.

Posted July 5, 2013

I went this school and had the best year of my life I school improve more and u DON'T get LOCKERS!

Posted April 30, 2013

My experience here was really cool. I could have rated it a 5 but some staff and teachers are lazy, inconsiderate, and haven't teached us anything. In fact Mr.Edelman was so lazy, ex. he moved project dates, lost hw and projects, forget things, and just doesn't do his job well. Although most of the staff is awesome and the principle does his job well. The campus made me feel safe and a majority of teachers gave me a good education. Love JB.

Posted April 8, 2013

Yes, this is school administration is very unprofessional and the teachers don't care about the students. Magnet coordinator MS. BEVERLY PEARSON is worse person & Mr. Rodriguez is worse teacher.

Posted February 4, 2013

I recently visited JB for coffee with the principal. I stayed a little over to speak with parents and administrators.The one thing I noticed more than anything was that the safety officer and an older lady with security shirt sat at lunch tables for at least 2 hours straight, on their phones, with no regard to the loitering students, hiding under their noses.I asked about this behavior and was told this was common practice and the principal and safety officer are friends. The plant manager is overworked. The man is amazing. I saw him fast walking from 8:00a till the time I left which was around 10a. It was him who opened the gate for me to leave as the safety officer was too busy socializing on his phone. On the same visit, LAPD was interviewing a parent in said safety officers office, and to my amazement was a HUGE, brand new, flat panel TV propped on a bookcase in his office.My child says teachers have no supplies yet the safety officer has a T.V. in his office?The principal must have taken a public relations course because his answers are always open ended. Nothing is ever concrete. "we're looking into it." type of answers. Be weary. API is not the end all be all in choosing JB.

Posted January 29, 2013

As an 8 th grade student I have to say this school is horrible. I was in orchestra but left cause of the harrassment my teacher gave me. He was rude to me and always gave additude, The pricipal didnt seem tol care at all Anyways because of this teacher some students want to leave the school.

Posted January 19, 2013

As a 7th grade magnet student here, I am having some great time. If I was to compare from 6th to 7th, I would say I gained like 50 more friends and the're all awesome. The best thing of this school is the Leadership class. The candidates have to say speeches and then there are elections. As the current 7th grade secretary, I won't just say the good things of this school. Yes, this school has nice teachers who are very fun (like the only 7th grade magnet science teacher), but there is too much of popularity at this school. Basically you can't do anything good here, other than being a smart kid, with out popularity. But even sometimes the smart kids who are very lonely, get bullied and then they start to do bad. To say the truth, I would say that this bullying thing has decreased over the two years I have been here so far. The new system of the bully box in the website has made it safer. But still there is some space to improve.I would recommend this school to the parents who are looking for a good school, but here is a recommendation: DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL IF THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH POPULARITY. SEND THEM TO THIS SCHOOL ONLY IF THEY KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH IT!

Posted November 12, 2012

My son is in the gifted magnet and I think it has been a great experience. He is now in the 8th grade and it has been the best year for him. While we all want to believe that our child is the most special little thing that the world has come to know, the truth is that many of the kids in Gifted Magnet (and SAS) are special, once you understand that, things will go smoother for everyone. Many parents make too many comparisons between the kids, when they're all bright, they all got there through test scores, achievements or intelligence evaluations. The school offers various programs and the competitiveness amongst students is healthy. Many kids motivate one another to do well. It's amazing that my child looks forward to going to school and he motivates others as well. Now the reason for 4 stars instead of 5. I agree that favoritism plays out and this has left a bad taste in my mouth. This statement goes for administration and teachers. They are also pretty good at covering up their behinds, when needed. They might think they're slick but they're not. BUT on a positive note, *overall*, I'm pleased with the school because most of the teachers are challenging and and my kids loves it.

Posted August 4, 2012

I'm not sure how much this school changed over the past few years but my experience has not been a spectacular one. Racism and favoritism are prevalent. Does your child get straight As in this middle school? That's probably because this particular middle school hands out As like they hand out tissues. They are probably not learning anything. Does your kid get at Cs? Well, you have a problem child that doesn't even bother to put his/her name on a single piece of paper. When the little middle school students move onto high school, they will face academic hardships. It's really not surprising. It's a low budget school with hardships on its own. I'm not generalizing. Some teachers put in their best effort. However, as time progresses, they tend to give up. Is it the limited budget? Or the careless students? Careless staffs?

Posted May 14, 2012

Although they pride themselves on their reputation, the staff is rude, lazy,apathetic, unqualified and indifferent. They are big on rules, but not on anything else. The staff sneaks to their cars to use their cell phones. I can't stand this school and it is a far cry from what it once was. Too bad.

Posted April 30, 2012

Great school, great staff! My experience with JB is that it is an excellent school with a very caring staff. I am amazed at the extra curricular activities the school is able to offer in lieu of the dismal budget that all schools need to contend with. I had one child attend as part of the Magnet program and another child is currently attending the regular program. Both children received the same high level of instruction and more importantly support. Like every other school in the district; it is over crowded but the staff at JB do not use that as an excuse to let children fall through the cracks. Keep up the great work!

Posted April 27, 2012

The school is being run on favoritism. They have unqualified and inexperienced staff in positions they shouldn't hold. For example, Special Ed. Coordinator, does not have the credential necessary to hold an out of classroom position yet holds it. School safety officer and campus aides do absolutely nothing all day other than fraternize amongst each other in what appears to be a day long lunch for them. I am glad my child is leaving as it is apparent that children with special needs are some kind of dark secret to the administration at JB.

Posted January 8, 2012

Terrible School, tons of racism and fights. Staff are uncaring and lazy, and do not help students. If you must send your kid here sign them up for the Magnet program, if not, avoid at all costs

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

580 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

581 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

619 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

464 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

596 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

631 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

599 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)71%
Parent education - college graduate81%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate74%
Parent education - declined to state64%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students27%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2168 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Art room