Los Angeles, CA

Canfield Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted May 05, 2015
I am sad to say how disappointed I am in the office staff of Canfield Elementary. The staff has been nothing but punitive and horrible to me and my child who had special needs. They made the registration process a nightmare, which included making up policies and lying about a legally binding affidavit. The principal he a giant chip on her shoulder and does not return phone calls (left 6 messages and only spoke to me when I waited on day). My son is placed in the wrong class and the office staff rather be vindictive and punitive then help place him where he belongs. It is sad to see people who likely got into education for their love of children to be so jaded from years of being in this unorganized system to do everything in their power to not help a child in need. Looking into other alternatives as I fear for how my son is being treated at Canfield.

Posted April 28, 2014
Greatest school ever! Amazing and dedicated staff and teachers! I wouldn't send my child anywhere else.

Posted December 18, 2013
Great school - Fabulous Teachers, Wonderful Principal and devoted staff. The Special Needs teachers and staff go to great lengths to meet the needs of all students. My children love their school and we are glad that our kids are getting a solid and well-rounded education. The on-site STAR after-school program is excellant and the STAR Director and staff are caring and devoted to the students. I almost forgot to mention the wonderful volunteer chorus teacher and the volunteer Shine mentors who work with our students. LAUSD funding could be much better, so thanks to our volunteers who help provide what LAUSD doesn't cover. Go Canfield!!!

Posted December 13, 2013
We have a kindergardener this year and absolutely love Canfield! First and foremost, the kinder teachers are awesome! During our first parent-teacher conference, our teacher showed us examples of work and our daughter's progress from month to month. She knew our daughter so well and that made us feel so great. The teachers and staff seem to know all the kids on campus. While the principal doesn't give off a very charismatic vibe, she is really competent and does a good job supporting the teachers to do the vital work in their classrooms. It's a very happy school that seems to have high quality academics. Another great aspect of Canfield is the parent organization. They are just really nice people who care a lot and are down to earth. It's an open, welcoming school. My daughter already feels like it's home and so do we.

Posted October 09, 2013
We have been at this school for 5 years now and it has been a pretty good experience for both of our boys (currently in 2nd and 4th grades). Without the support of the Friends of Canfield and all of the dedicated parents who spend their time, share their experience and contribute to the ever declining budget, this school would be in bad shape! Our family volunteers a lot, from being board members to classroom parents to beautification days to fundraising. We believe it is essential in supporting the schools ability to give our children the elementary school experience they deserve. The teachers here are amazing, all very nurturing and willing to work with us and our kids, giving extra support when needed. The principle is very hands on and receptive to parents needs as well. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a true community driven, family-oriented and parent involved small school environment. It does take a lot of work from all involved to make this school work and so far, it has worked for us.

Posted October 08, 2013
We enrolled in Canfield this year having moved from Brooklyn, NY. My two sons instantly felt at ease. The kids here are so kind and welcoming, immediately making friends. One great thing I have observed so far at Canfield is a lack of obsession with test scores. Other schools my kids have attended have been concerned with their rankings far more than they seem to be with just getting on with the process of teaching, transferring their anxiety about maintaining school test result ranks onto the students. Not Canfield. So far I have seen a great balance between academics, sports and community at this school.

Posted September 26, 2013
Your child will find a great home @ Canfield!! Great teachers, great community and a great education for your children!!

Posted August 22, 2013
This is our second year at Canfield and we are so excited to start the new school year. Our experience here has been 100%, love the academics, teachers, parents and most of all the students. Put all of this together makes Canfield the best school in the neighborhood.

Canfield Avenue Elementary School 3

Posted August 09, 2013
Canfield elementary, from the mile run in the morning to the healthy lunches and snacks, and community effort , parent participation, and fund raising is at its best. you couldn't ask for anything better. However when it comes to the principle you would think we were at a military boot camp, no open door policy, rarely connects with other humans let alone parents and her tactic is intimidation. i would like more after school activities and volunteer oppertunities so that working parents can be involved and support their children( the Christmas program was at 10am-12pm ) and many others are during school hours. The new Facilities engineer was a breath of fresh air, and over all safety of the campus is good but can have some improvement someone monitoring the gates to the campus would be nice for the start of the new school year to get familiar with new faces. over all this is the best school for your child in the area that free!

Posted August 01, 2013
Canfield has been and continues to be a wonderful school for my daughters. The teachers are excellent and caring, the student body diverse. We have made so many wonderful friends in this community. Looking forward to the new school year!

Canfield Avenue Elementary School
9233 Airdrome Street, Los Angeles, CA  90035
Last modified Canfield Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canfield Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top