Los Angeles, CA

Posted May 06, 2015
This school is wonderful it is more then just a school it is a family. I always feel welcomed by the staff and my 5th grader and kindergarder loves it along with my 3rd grades nieces and 1st grade niece. The teachers are great.

Posted April 10, 2015
My son is a 5th grader at Carthay currently. He went for kinder as well but we pulled him out because at the time we were learning that he had some learning challenges so we sent him to a charter in Hollywood for 1st-4th. Well, long story short we are back and he's having a great year! I'm so impressed at the many wonderful improvements, parent involvement and the new environmental studies magnet. One of the best things about Carthay is the beautiful garden! Check it out!

Posted February 08, 2015
Simply put: I love this school. Great administration. And I'm thoroughly impressed with how my child's teacher goes that extra step to reach all her students (no matter what level they are on).

Posted February 01, 2015
We came to Carthay School of Environmental Magnet from a horrible Catholic school that was six months behind academically. Carthay has been proven to be the polar opposite experience for our family. Our school has superb, caring and thoroughly trained teachers who are invested in your children's academic and social successes. Carthay also has a new dynamic, take charge principal, Mrs. Hall-Johnson who is both sensitive to the needs of the students and the parents. She's has a progressive approach, is open to ideas and suggestions but has a definite vision for what she wants the school to be and it's the very best. Mrs. Hall-Johnson is also a very hands-on principal. She's very visible and is not afraid to roll her sleeves up and help out . Carthay also has a terrific and extremely active PTA that create wonderful fundraising events and fantastic opportunities for families to volunteer. I feel blessed everyday that we found this school. I truly love sending my child here and being apart of its amazing community. It's definitely the best school experience my son has ever had in his entire academic career.

Posted January 30, 2015
Our daughter went to pre-K at this school and we had a good experience but were lured away by a magnet. When we heard that Carthay was becoming a magnet beginning in 2014, we were so excited to come back to our neighborhood school for 3rd grade! We love the environment studies theme, the fabulous garden, and the chickens. Even with a "science-y" theme we have discovered some amazing opportunities for art and music studies at the school--which our daughter loves. She is thriving at Carthay, her teacher is caring and dedicated, and her fellow students are really awesome. The principal is new and I think still finding her sea legs, but she is definitely approachable and hard-working. Most of all, we have found the parents at Carthay to be welcoming, energetic, and invested in pushing Carthay to be an even better school.

Posted January 23, 2015
We love our neighborhood school! We are new at Carthay Center as our daughter is in kindergarten. The school provides a welcoming environment where we have met many wonderful families. The school is diverse on many levels and we love our daughter's teacher. Our new principal is engaged and promises to continue taking carthay in a positive direction. We are so lucky to live just a few blocks from Carthay Center Elementary and I highly recommend it!

Carthay Center Elementary 2

Posted June 13, 2014
Carthay Center was a huge disappointment for my child last year. I like the diversity, it helps your kids develop an awareness for other cultures and beliefs. The parents are very involved. With that said, I am looking for another school for my child, I would rather pay for private school than go back. My child's teacher played favorites, allowed bullying and didn't seem to want to push kids to do better. If you asked during a parent conference what your kid could do to get better at a task or subject, she'd just say oh just have them keep up with school work... but the school work was so easy. The parents succeeded in getting rid of the principal after she dismissed several teachers, it was way too much drama for those of us that just want our kids to go to school and focus on learning. The front office staff is horrendous, one of them is really nice but the other one has the worst attitude ever and usually talks down to parents when you call to ask questions. There is no nurse on campus, no ice or bandaids - if your kids get hurt and ask for their parent to be called the lady at the front desk will tell them they don't have your number and go back to class.

Posted May 12, 2014
Carthay Elementary--soon to be Carthay Environmental Magnet-- has an impressive diversity of parents,students, teachers and administrators working together to make the school a real center of learning and activity for the neighborhood and the larger community. The Garden Science program created and developed by parents and staff is at the center of the new Magnet and promises endless possibilities for students to learn not only about food and nutrition, but about biology, solar energy, genetics etc. Parent involvement is strong at this school so bring your energy, enthusiasm, and ideas! They will be welcome! Does this school face challenges? Carthay receives money under the Title 1 program for disadvantaged learners--students who are at the greatest risk for failure and need learning assistance. It creates a big challenge for teachers who have to meet the needs of students at different levels. I've been a Carthay parent for two years and I haven't heard any complaints from my son's teachers. There is a great spirit of possibility at this school, especially now that it is becoming a Magnet and will be attracting students from all over L.A.

Posted May 09, 2014
Carthay is a wonderful school! My son has had the best experience in Kindergarten and loves his teacher. All the teachers truly care about the students and the school. We are so lucky to be able to have this great neighborhood school.

Posted May 08, 2014
Carthay is an amazing neighborhood school. My daughter absolutely loves her teachers, her new friends (she's in kindergarten), and the whole Carthay community. She has blossomed so much by the great learning environment at the school. As Carthay becomes a magnet, the school will grow even stronger and better!

Carthay Center Elementary
6351 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA  90048
Last modified Carthay Center Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carthay Center Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 70 reviews. Top