Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I love this school. My daughter has been attending for 5 years (early education program and on), and I have had a great experience with the teachers, staff and administration. I love that they still offer music, art, and physical education. I love their emphasis on the three Bs, Be respectful, responsible, and be safe. As a bonus, she's picking up Mandarin as a second language.

Castelar is a hidden gem. My son started learning in the dual language program two years ago. Now can converse freely in Mandarin as well as read and write in both languages. The teachers are kind, caring and professional. My neighborhood school is really great, but it can't offer Mandarin. I'm so glad I chose Castelar!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All the teachers I've met at Castelar are kind, caring and professional. Observing Ms. Han's kindergarten class made me want to learn Mandarin. I'm constantly amazed with how organized and professional all the teachers are.

Castelar is my "dream come true" of a school. The Mandarin Dual Language program is top-notch. With no previous experience in Mandarin before Kindergarten, my second-grader can now write a 5-paragraph essay in both English and Mandarin. Native speaking friends and family marvel at her pitch perfect Mandarin accent. People always ask us, "It's a private school, right?". No, it's a totally public school. The teachers are fun and nurturing. No "scary" Chinese language teachers here. Many of the kids in the dual language program don't come from Chinese language backgrounds and will graduate with fluency in 3 languages (English, Mandarin, and their home language). Most of the students come from hard-working immigrant families who value education. Therefore, Castelar kids are more "innocent" than most. Kids are allowed to be kids. No one is in a rush to be a teen and there are no cliques or bullying. It is truly a nurturing environment with amazing results. We are so thankful we found Castelar!

I love the dedication of the teachers at this school, they are really interested in making sure your child is learning and if they need extra help, they provide it without hesitation. The staff and environment is great because its very welcoming and makes you feel included. Thank you Castelar, keep up the fantastic job!!

My children have been at Castelar for the past year, and we have been very happy with staff and school. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Principal Choi is very involved with school activities and students. Teachers have been good, they need a little more resources and parent involvement. I would like to see a PTA group or some type of group for parents to help and speak to activities in school, or other things to help. Academically my children are learning a lot, more than in my son's previous elementary school and daughter's preschool. Homework is given everyday and helps teach them accountability and to be responsible. The 4 star rating is because school lacks an internet presence to communicate with parents and delivery updates/newsletters on school activities and events.

Great school. Seems underfunded. Committed staff. My children are both very engaged in the environment. Certainly wish it could grow and be more efficient with better tools and technology.

At Castelar, nobody curse and all the teachers are terrific, ESPECIALLY the teachers who have been working there for a long time. I LOVE this school. I think that the principle is OKAY, but the staff and teachers TERRIFIC! They really care about the kids and ther education. I am so happy that I went there, but I DO think that they need a better principle. He's nice and friendly, but on a princple level he's a 6.5 out of 10. I loved my first grade teacher because she taught me SO MUCH and was really made me believe that as long as I tried my best, no matter how bad the grade might be, I should be proud of myself no matter what other people say. I enjoyed ALL of my teacers. They were a lot of fun and in kindergarden, I learned how to spell the word "feather". I was so prou of myself that day, but everybody in my class had hard words too like father and amazing. All my teachers in fact were amazing. I had so much fun and made lots of great friends there. I would recommend this school to EVERYONE!!!

This is an excellent school! Never have I attended a school that cared more about its students than Castelar. Considering the MAJORITY of the students (my family included) are/were underprivileged ESL students, we fared fairly well academically against other schools in the district. The education we received was way above par. My siblings and I and some of my fellow classmates that graduated from Castelar went on to become GATE students in other schools! I know from personal experience that the education and experience I received at Castelar was top notch. Don't get me wrong, it was no walk in the park, but with a staff that actually cares and an amazing education, what more could you ask for? It was a privilege attending Castelar. :)

i hope in the future, castelar would be as good as today! i absolutely reccomend this school to any one out there looking for an elementary school!!

Last modified Castelar Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.