Posted November 04, 2014
I am an officer in a local HA, and I recently attended a school-wide assembly and tour to get a better sense of the school, so that I may report about it to my neighborhood. What struck me the most was the sense of family and organization that exists at every level. It reminded my of my days as a preschool parent, where each class worked together for their teachers and students, exchanged information, and created play-dates and friendships for both parents and students alike. The school is actually quite small -- only 305 students, and parents are encouraged to volunteer in the classroom, garden, arts, and a variety of other programs that run each week. My days as an elementary parent are behind me unfortunately -- but I couldn't be more encouraged for local families with young ones to attend their local school.

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted October 18, 2014
I find the 1 star review not be inaccurate. I am white, so is my daughter in Kindergarten. She is not in the class mentioned below. As far as I can see, the kindergarten classes have NOT been split according to race. I haven't seen the other Kinder class, but in my daughter's there are other white students along with hispanic and asian. I can't speak to the school's conflict resolution solutions (or lack thereof) because we haven't had a problem yet. I will say, this is my first experience with my child going to school, and it has been an adjustment. I've been to one Foundation meeting, and it was a little intimidating, but that's because I'm not used to its rhythm, and I am new to the school. From what I've seen so far I am happy with Cheremoya. I worry a little at the fast pace they're teaching kindergarteners, but I think I am just out of touch with what is "normal" for schools now.

Posted October 01, 2014
To the anonymous parents that wish to level libelous statements in this forum about this school, it's faculty, administration and volunteers both well-off and otherwise: Who is the real bully here? Do you have a grievance you can back with evidence? There are numerous sources to air that grievance officially. Bullies seem to relish tearing down the efforts of good people who care about building up our institutions - people who volunteer time, sweat, and yes MONEY to get things done. Anonymous, paranoid rants in a public forum do nothing to help your cause or to correct your perceived injustice - but you have succeeded in angering at least one parent who feels your allegations are completely unjust and without merit - while defaming an entire community and shaming yourself in the process.
2 people found this helpful

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted September 07, 2014
If your are not white and don't have money to bring to the Cheremoya foundation then you do not meet the criteria to be on the principal' favorites list. Yes if you are white with money your voice will be heard and you concerns will be taken care seriously ,if not then "NO" "Sorry but.." Is the answer you will be hearing for any issue you have.we parents of non white origins don't feel welcomed in this school ( especially the non wealthy one of us) . The white kids whose parents are members of the foundation are separated in a one KG class with a 1st grade "Asian" teacher. One class with only white kids, their room is the only one that is newly painted and with computers , and all families come from the foundation as a coincidence. I am so moving from this school. Nothing is taking seriously bullying, teachers performance, kids performance none of that!! What is really important is the foundation . If you are poor and prefer to volunteer in your kid class your application will never be processed.

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted June 25, 2014
Hi... We do not yet send our child to Cheremoya (she's not old enough) but we are very open to the idea. And we hope that other parents send their children as well.. If we all do it then it can be great. Take the plunge! What we dont really like is that many of the "reviews" here are not reviews.. but more like press releases... posted by those who are in charge of grass roots organizations to support the school. It comes off as self serving. And when talking about the school, try to use more realistic adjectives.... words like "INCREDIBLE" and "AMAZING" just seem overinflated... you're selling too hard. it's a decent school that's getting better and one day will be really good. Undersell it... that way people will be pleasantly surprised. Oversell it and people cant help but be disappointed.

Posted April 29, 2014
Cheremoya Ave. Elementary School is one of the greatest schools in the area. I have personally recommended friends and family to take the kids to this school. One of the most important is the teaching staff that are the great in its place they know how to teach well to bring a none English speaker to become a gifted and top of the class student with all if his/her academics in a short time. Office staff member are also very nice and helpful with any questions. Above all they have the greatest Principle. Both my kids have attended to this school from preschool to 6th grade.

Posted April 17, 2014
Cheremoya is on Spring Break but the campus is buzzing. The 1970's bungalows have been removed and the Cheremoya Wildlands will soon be built in this space. The Wildlands will complement and expand upon our current garden program - it will even have a tricycle path for our pre-school and kinders!!! Our Kinder play area will also be expanded to accommodate our growing local enrollment. Cheremoya Elementary is the complete package - great kids, families, teachers, Principal, enrichment programs and an after school program(s). On top of all of this Cheremoya Elementary has just been recognized as a California Distinguished School acknowledging it's academic achievement and community/parental involvement.

Posted April 15, 2014
All I can say about this school is nothing but great things, as a child I attended this school and now my child attends here, the teachers are great, they not only teach our kids the academic portion but they also teach them values, parent involvement is awsome we're an extended family, the Principal always there to assist in any way she can...overall I give 5 stars

Posted April 12, 2014
Cheremoya is a small, neighborhood school which has an amazing sense of community! we have a wonderful group of very engaged parents and fantastic teachers. Cheremoya was recently acknowledged by the California Dept. of Education (!!!!) as a Distinguished School for academic achievement and community participation. I am very proud to be part of the Cheremoya community and know that while my child is here will get the education and programs many parents seek at the private or charter level. We may not have a grassy field, but we are building the WIldlands. We may not have a pool, but we have a partnership with the Hollywood YMCA to get the kids access to a pool. We DO HAVE art, PE, music, advanced studies, a garden, lots of afterschool programs, amazing teachers, a strong principal and supportive staff and parents that care.

Posted April 12, 2014
Congratulations to Cheremoya Elementary! We are pleased to announce that Cheremoya has received the very prestigious award and recognition as a California Distinguished School by the California Department of Education.

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School
6017 Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90028
Last modified Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top