Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I love our neighborhood school. 7 years ago when we purchased our home I attended an open house. I was reluctant to send my first child toCheremoya at the time. Currently my youngest child is enrolled in 1st grade. Her teacher Ms Diaz is one of the most remarkable teachers I have ever met. Thanks to Justin who founded the Cheremoya Foundation and our wonderful Princible Mr Salva I our school is defiantly on its way to becoming a 10.

Our daughter started here in Kindergarten. We have remained impressed by the faculty, helpful and supportive community and the unwavering commitment of the school's Foundation to bring back the programs cut by LAUSD. My family proudly joined the effort to attend and support our local school. I don't deny that some parents will clash with teachers or even the principal. If this school lacks for anything, it is that the leadership role seems to be a springboard to other opportunities within the district, and so we see a new principal every few years. The teachers are top notch. Our daughter loves school and loves Cheremoya. We support the teachers and the Foundation, and are looking forward to welcoming the next new principal!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The greatest thing cheremoya has going for it *IS* the teachers. Most, with the exception of 2, have been at Cheremoya longterm and their classes are all top notch.

Amount of homework: Disagree

it's not specific to this school. the current standard for homework and what the teachers are actually able to cover in class, unfortunately leaves too much at the end of the day and goes home with the kids.

This is a wonderful school, with a wonderful hardworking foundation. The foundation goes out of its way to not only aesthetically improve the school, but it also helps to provide yoga instruction, a gardening program and other "extras" for the students. The parents who say the "non-white" families are not heard or feel welcome are the ones who do not help the school through donations of both time and money. The more involved you are in every area, including contributions, the more your voice is heard. Morning drop off for example. You want your voice heard? Show up - not in your pajamas and slippers - and help open car doors and say good morning to the wonderful children.

My son has gone here for a whole two weeks and we both hate this school already. His teacher is unbelievably disorganized and every time I've pointed out things she has neglected to send home she turns it around on my son. What she didn't realize is my son had pocket dialed me at one point and I heard him asking for a document he'd been missing for a week and she told him to go away and stop bothering her. He's a second grader who was asking for something she was marking him down on. I listened to him start crying and walk back to his desk. That afternoon she asked me to come in to talk with her and the entire time she berated my seven year old saying he doesn't listen, he's been hiding his spelling homework (even though he's earned 100% on every piece of homework he's had and he was asking for the spelling homework when he accidentally called me) and more. She had a disgusting attitude that no one should have to put up with, especially a young student. If she had no problem behaving this way in front of a parent, it scares me to think of how she treats her students by herself. This school has earned each and every bad review and it's pretty pathetic that someone in the administration gets online and tries to raise their stats with shameless self promotion. You want a better score? Then do better by your students. My son is on five waiting lists for other schools, hopefully we can get him out of here by next school year.

I won't be surprised by a five star experience at the end of the year but I'm giving four stars ONLY to be honest since we are new. I just really wanted to put a fresh review up on this site. I usually wouldn't rate on Great Schools because I think it's important for parents to think for themselves; however, I think Cheremoya deserves a new perspective to be voiced in a public forum. If you are interested in this school you should come see it. We are a new family to Cheremoya and I will say the changes being made are exciting. The Cheremoya Foundation has put care into restoring the building with historic integrity in mind and those projects are really looking great. The outdoor classroom project, Wildlands along with the garden are truly inspiring and well maintained which is important. There are diligent parent volunteers keeping everything alive. I also have to say I love my TK teacher's constructivist method of teaching. The other teachers that I've been exposed to are fantastic veteran teachers from both LAUSD and charter backgrounds. This school is coming into its own and I feel fortunate to have come at the right time. The school is naturally ethnically and socio-economically diverse due to its location. It seems none of the Kinder and first grade classes are heavy on any ethnic group. I know the newish Principal, Mr. Salva takes time to make sure the classes are balanced academically. At assembly it looks really diverse. Just as a side note, Principal Salva leaves the best vioce messages BTW. I like hearing about what's going on and reminded by phone along with email. There is still room for improvement because the school is on its way up. I remember when Franklin was at this point five years ago. With parent involvement from the different volunteer groups I think Cheremoya has what it takes to be uniquely outstanding.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Very much so, I believe the teachers my daughter has had always encourage all these.

I am an officer in a local HA, and I recently attended a school-wide assembly and tour to get a better sense of the school, so that I may report about it to my neighborhood. What struck me the most was the sense of family and organization that exists at every level. It reminded my of my days as a preschool parent, where each class worked together for their teachers and students, exchanged information, and created play-dates and friendships for both parents and students alike. The school is actually quite small -- only 305 students, and parents are encouraged to volunteer in the classroom, garden, arts, and a variety of other programs that run each week. My days as an elementary parent are behind me unfortunately -- but I couldn't be more encouraged for local families with young ones to attend their local school.

I find the 1 star review not be inaccurate. I am white, so is my daughter in Kindergarten. She is not in the class mentioned below. As far as I can see, the kindergarten classes have NOT been split according to race. I haven't seen the other Kinder class, but in my daughter's there are other white students along with hispanic and asian. I can't speak to the school's conflict resolution solutions (or lack thereof) because we haven't had a problem yet. I will say, this is my first experience with my child going to school, and it has been an adjustment. I've been to one Foundation meeting, and it was a little intimidating, but that's because I'm not used to its rhythm, and I am new to the school. From what I've seen so far I am happy with Cheremoya. I worry a little at the fast pace they're teaching kindergarteners, but I think I am just out of touch with what is "normal" for schools now.

Last modified Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.