Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted January 25, 2016
My son has gone here for a whole two weeks and we both hate this school already. His teacher is unbelievably disorganized and every time I've pointed out things she has neglected to send home she turns it around on my son. What she didn't realize is my son had pocket dialed me at one point and I heard him asking for a document he'd been missing for a week and she told him to go away and stop bothering her. He's a second grader who was asking for something she was marking him down on. I listened to him start crying and walk back to his desk. That afternoon she asked me to come in to talk with her and the entire time she berated my seven year old saying he doesn't listen, he's been hiding his spelling homework (even though he's earned 100% on every piece of homework he's had and he was asking for the spelling homework when he accidentally called me) and more. She had a disgusting attitude that no one should have to put up with, especially a young student. If she had no problem behaving this way in front of a parent, it scares me to think of how she treats her students by herself. This school has earned each and every bad review and it's pretty pathetic that someone in the administration gets online and tries to raise their stats with shameless self promotion. You want a better score? Then do better by your students. My son is on five waiting lists for other schools, hopefully we can get him out of here by next school year.

Posted September 12, 2015
I won't be surprised by a five star experience at the end of the year but I'm giving four stars ONLY to be honest since we are new. I just really wanted to put a fresh review up on this site. I usually wouldn't rate on Great Schools because I think it's important for parents to think for themselves; however, I think Cheremoya deserves a new perspective to be voiced in a public forum. If you are interested in this school you should come see it. We are a new family to Cheremoya and I will say the changes being made are exciting. The Cheremoya Foundation has put care into restoring the building with historic integrity in mind and those projects are really looking great. The outdoor classroom project, Wildlands along with the garden are truly inspiring and well maintained which is important. There are diligent parent volunteers keeping everything alive. I also have to say I love my TK teacher's constructivist method of teaching. The other teachers that I've been exposed to are fantastic veteran teachers from both LAUSD and charter backgrounds. This school is coming into its own and I feel fortunate to have come at the right time. The school is naturally ethnically and socio-economically diverse due to its location. It seems none of the Kinder and first grade classes are heavy on any ethnic group. I know the newish Principal, Mr. Salva takes time to make sure the classes are balanced academically. At assembly it looks really diverse. Just as a side note, Principal Salva leaves the best vioce messages BTW. I like hearing about what's going on and reminded by phone along with email. There is still room for improvement because the school is on its way up. I remember when Franklin was at this point five years ago. With parent involvement from the different volunteer groups I think Cheremoya has what it takes to be uniquely outstanding.

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 01, 2015
Very much so, I believe the teachers my daughter has had always encourage all these.

Posted November 04, 2014
I am an officer in a local HA, and I recently attended a school-wide assembly and tour to get a better sense of the school, so that I may report about it to my neighborhood. What struck me the most was the sense of family and organization that exists at every level. It reminded my of my days as a preschool parent, where each class worked together for their teachers and students, exchanged information, and created play-dates and friendships for both parents and students alike. The school is actually quite small -- only 305 students, and parents are encouraged to volunteer in the classroom, garden, arts, and a variety of other programs that run each week. My days as an elementary parent are behind me unfortunately -- but I couldn't be more encouraged for local families with young ones to attend their local school.

Posted October 18, 2014
I find the 1 star review not be inaccurate. I am white, so is my daughter in Kindergarten. She is not in the class mentioned below. As far as I can see, the kindergarten classes have NOT been split according to race. I haven't seen the other Kinder class, but in my daughter's there are other white students along with hispanic and asian. I can't speak to the school's conflict resolution solutions (or lack thereof) because we haven't had a problem yet. I will say, this is my first experience with my child going to school, and it has been an adjustment. I've been to one Foundation meeting, and it was a little intimidating, but that's because I'm not used to its rhythm, and I am new to the school. From what I've seen so far I am happy with Cheremoya. I worry a little at the fast pace they're teaching kindergarteners, but I think I am just out of touch with what is "normal" for schools now.

Posted October 01, 2014
To the anonymous parents that wish to level libelous statements in this forum about this school, it's faculty, administration and volunteers both well-off and otherwise: Who is the real bully here? Do you have a grievance you can back with evidence? There are numerous sources to air that grievance officially. Bullies seem to relish tearing down the efforts of good people who care about building up our institutions - people who volunteer time, sweat, and yes MONEY to get things done. Anonymous, paranoid rants in a public forum do nothing to help your cause or to correct your perceived injustice - but you have succeeded in angering at least one parent who feels your allegations are completely unjust and without merit - while defaming an entire community and shaming yourself in the process.

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted September 07, 2014
If your are not white and don't have money to bring to the Cheremoya foundation then you do not meet the criteria to be on the principal' favorites list. Yes if you are white with money your voice will be heard and you concerns will be taken care seriously ,if not then "NO" "Sorry but.." Is the answer you will be hearing for any issue you have.we parents of non white origins don't feel welcomed in this school ( especially the non wealthy one of us) . The white kids whose parents are members of the foundation are separated in a one KG class with a 1st grade "Asian" teacher. One class with only white kids, their room is the only one that is newly painted and with computers , and all families come from the foundation as a coincidence. I am so moving from this school. Nothing is taking seriously bullying, teachers performance, kids performance none of that!! What is really important is the foundation . If you are poor and prefer to volunteer in your kid class your application will never be processed.

Posted June 25, 2014
Hi... We do not yet send our child to Cheremoya (she's not old enough) but we are very open to the idea. And we hope that other parents send their children as well.. If we all do it then it can be great. Take the plunge! What we dont really like is that many of the "reviews" here are not reviews.. but more like press releases... posted by those who are in charge of grass roots organizations to support the school. It comes off as self serving. And when talking about the school, try to use more realistic adjectives.... words like "INCREDIBLE" and "AMAZING" just seem overinflated... you're selling too hard. it's a decent school that's getting better and one day will be really good. Undersell it... that way people will be pleasantly surprised. Oversell it and people cant help but be disappointed.

Posted April 29, 2014
Cheremoya Ave. Elementary School is one of the greatest schools in the area. I have personally recommended friends and family to take the kids to this school. One of the most important is the teaching staff that are the great in its place they know how to teach well to bring a none English speaker to become a gifted and top of the class student with all if his/her academics in a short time. Office staff member are also very nice and helpful with any questions. Above all they have the greatest Principle. Both my kids have attended to this school from preschool to 6th grade.

Posted April 17, 2014
Cheremoya is on Spring Break but the campus is buzzing. The 1970's bungalows have been removed and the Cheremoya Wildlands will soon be built in this space. The Wildlands will complement and expand upon our current garden program - it will even have a tricycle path for our pre-school and kinders!!! Our Kinder play area will also be expanded to accommodate our growing local enrollment. Cheremoya Elementary is the complete package - great kids, families, teachers, Principal, enrichment programs and an after school program(s). On top of all of this Cheremoya Elementary has just been recognized as a California Distinguished School acknowledging it's academic achievement and community/parental involvement.

Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School
6017 Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90028
Last modified Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cheremoya Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top