Posted June 11, 2014
Member of the community and Parent!! It is funny how as I am reading the other posts from others, I'm putting 2 & 2 together. I mentioned to the Principle (E. F.) that some parents had mentioned to me that those who were in the dual language program were treated a little better than those who were not. Of course she disagreed with that, I mean I did not expect her to say of course. As I can see, most of the positive posting, come from those who are in the dual language program......funny. I can understand with one of the parent who posted about grades. I agree. In the beginning, my son did get higher grades than he should have, the teacher , who they got rid of, insisted on giving him a higher grade, the principle objected! In the end they got rid of the teacher and replaced with a sub, who ended up giving my son the lower grade, just like the principle wanted! I do not dislike the principle, but I DO NOT trust her! I will be watching closely.

Posted February 21, 2014
As a member of the community and an educator in LAUSD, I am proud to say that my daughter attends this hidden treasure of a school! The parental involvement is wonderful! The principal is always fighting for resources to make the school better and the teachers are always pushing the students toward excellence! I love the diversity that the Mandarin Program has brought to the school and the PTA has added the fun element! I am overall pleased with the education my daughter has received from CTE!

Posted November 07, 2013
Office staff - Martha & Myra are complete angels. They are always smiling, eager to help, patient & understanding. We were a high needs family in the beginning & we benefited from their work ethic & kindness. Principal Fujiu - I was first impressed with her when she outline the healthy food guidelines - no junk food at school :). I have found her to be totally accessible - I have never had to set an appt or jump through hoops to get in front of her - she is totally available to the parents. She stands outside the gate at the beginning & end of the school day and greets each student by first name. Wow, just wow. I can not say enough amazing things about my son's teacher Mrs. Hsaio - we came into the Mandarin program about 6 weeks late, she really worked with my son to feel at home & get adjusted quickly. She keeps parents informed w regular classroom e-newsletters, she is readily available after school to chat & responds to emails quickly w great insight. Mrs. Hsaio is that perfect blend of nurture & structure. I have observed her in the classroom, she is engaging, funny & strict - her room functions like a well oiled machine. City Terrace is a hidden gem - we love it!

Posted October 17, 2013
This school has wonderful teachers and a great community of parents! My daughter is in the Mandarin program, which is exceptional. I am an educator myself with high standards. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to send my kids to this school!

Posted September 26, 2013
Principal is good and fair. The teachers so far are good, although they could use a little more focus on communicating with parents and on assessing the skills of the children. The Mandarin program is very fine. Overall I see this school as a good school, not excellent, with potential for excellence.

Posted October 06, 2012
This is a tough school community! Our children are part of the dual language program. The program is great but I like it because it has brought diversity into the school. I wish my oldest children would have had the program when they were there. I was a little skeptical when the previous principal brought the program in but he did not stay. I think he was a great cheerleader but could not have sustained the program. The new principal is always fighting to get new teachers (for the whole school) and she brought in a nicer office staff. The school is also doing better on their test scores.

Posted September 12, 2012
The School has everything you would want - dedicated teachers, great curriculum, and awesome cultural events thanks to the PTA. The Mandarin program is one of the best. People come from all over the city to enroll their kids in it. Kids range from Brilliant, to challenged and special needs which is why it will never rate a 10. But kids go to school to learn, not to be sifted through arbitrary testing. The only thing that concerns me is the principal. I get the feeling she doesn t care much for parental involvement. I could be misreading it. Also, I was told that at last year s graduation several kids were prohibited from making their prepared commencement speeches due to an incident that did not involve them. That sort of blanket punitive action would be wrong and puts a damper on what would otherwise be a joyous occasion. I certainly hope it s not true. Otherwise, I rate the school highly in accomplishments and effort.

City Terrace Elementary School 2

Posted March 18, 2012
My daughter has attended this school since Pre-K and she is currently in second grade. The first two years is school she was doing great but after the new administrator took over the school and my daughter's grades have decreased. I agree with one of the previous review. When i started noticing the change in my daughter's grades I spoke with her teacher and her teachers would tell me the same thing, that my daughter deserved a better grade but that the principal would no t allow them to give her the grades. I have always been very involved with the teachers to always improve my daughters education. But my disappointment was greater when the principal opted to discuss my daughters need to tutoring with my sister-in-law, so that she would allow my niece to tutor my daughter. Before she even spoke to me and asked for my opinion. I mean who does that right? The principal has very poor ethics and puts more focus on the Dual Manderin- English program than anything else.

City Terrace Elementary School 3

Posted September 27, 2011
My cousins attended this school from the 2nd to the 5th grade. My aunt said they learned a lot and are doing well in middle school. She said the teachers there were excellent. But, one of my cousin needed extra help, with his English. When my aunt asked for help they were very slow in helping my cousin. My cousin needs help with English. My aunt went to the principal for help, the principal assured my aunt the help. After a couple of months, nothing happen. So she asked again. The principal told her that she would help. Nothing happened. It was not until the last weeks of school did my cousin finally get the help. My poor aunt. Good teachers at City Terrace because my cousins are doing well in middle school. The principal there is very slow to give help when parents ask for help for their children.

City Terrace Elementary School 1

Posted September 17, 2011
This school leaves a lot to be disired for children with special needs. My child went to this school for all 5 grade levels and did poorly failing all his classes. Only two teachers were strict but with a genuine concern for my son's education and with the help of one of their recomendations he is now in the best middle school. He is weekly graded with a B average now. My son was bullied in school and they did nothing about it. Instead sided with his agressors for being more out spoken. When my son started defending himself against his bullys he was considered the problem child because of his special needs. I requested an IP for My son and did not receive one till his last year in school.

City Terrace Elementary School
4350 City Terrace Drive, Los Angeles, CA  90063
Last modified City Terrace Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
City Terrace Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top