Bad
Good

My children attend City Terrace Elementary School and I do my best to be an involved parent. I have attended several parent workshops at the school such as Book Club, Nutrition, Computer Safety and Earthquake preparedness class. The principal has participated in the workshops and has made me feel welcome and informed. I have also come to Family Fridays where I have gone into my child's classroom and have read with them. My kids loved it. My children love the teachers and are very happy to be at City Terrace School. I feel my children are safe and receive an excellent education.

Cons: Too much teacher rotation. The inconsistency makes it hard on the kids. Some of the punitive mindset is trickling down into the classroom where the focus gets diverted from actual teaching and instead creates an atmosphere of distrust - good kid vs bad kid. The principal is always at odds with Parent Involvement - especially when it comes to the PTA - unless there is a dignitary present, then she pretends to love them - control issues. Pros: Many! Most teachers recognize their job is to encourage and teach. They are great! Yes, the mandarin program is #1. Kids excel and thrive. Diversity.

Member of the community and Parent!! It is funny how as I am reading the other posts from others, I'm putting 2 & 2 together. I mentioned to the Principle (E. F.) that some parents had mentioned to me that those who were in the dual language program were treated a little better than those who were not. Of course she disagreed with that, I mean I did not expect her to say of course. As I can see, most of the positive posting, come from those who are in the dual language program......funny. I can understand with one of the parent who posted about grades. I agree. In the beginning, my son did get higher grades than he should have, the teacher , who they got rid of, insisted on giving him a higher grade, the principle objected! In the end they got rid of the teacher and replaced with a sub, who ended up giving my son the lower grade, just like the principle wanted! I do not dislike the principle, but I DO NOT trust her! I will be watching closely.

As a member of the community and an educator in LAUSD, I am proud to say that my daughter attends this hidden treasure of a school! The parental involvement is wonderful! The principal is always fighting for resources to make the school better and the teachers are always pushing the students toward excellence! I love the diversity that the Mandarin Program has brought to the school and the PTA has added the fun element! I am overall pleased with the education my daughter has received from CTE!

Office staff - Martha & Myra are complete angels. They are always smiling, eager to help, patient & understanding. We were a high needs family in the beginning & we benefited from their work ethic & kindness. Principal Fujiu - I was first impressed with her when she outline the healthy food guidelines - no junk food at school :). I have found her to be totally accessible - I have never had to set an appt or jump through hoops to get in front of her - she is totally available to the parents. She stands outside the gate at the beginning & end of the school day and greets each student by first name. Wow, just wow. I can not say enough amazing things about my son's teacher Mrs. Hsaio - we came into the Mandarin program about 6 weeks late, she really worked with my son to feel at home & get adjusted quickly. She keeps parents informed w regular classroom e-newsletters, she is readily available after school to chat & responds to emails quickly w great insight. Mrs. Hsaio is that perfect blend of nurture & structure. I have observed her in the classroom, she is engaging, funny & strict - her room functions like a well oiled machine. City Terrace is a hidden gem - we love it!

This school has wonderful teachers and a great community of parents! My daughter is in the Mandarin program, which is exceptional. I am an educator myself with high standards. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to send my kids to this school!

Principal is good and fair. The teachers so far are good, although they could use a little more focus on communicating with parents and on assessing the skills of the children. The Mandarin program is very fine. Overall I see this school as a good school, not excellent, with potential for excellence.

This is a tough school community! Our children are part of the dual language program. The program is great but I like it because it has brought diversity into the school. I wish my oldest children would have had the program when they were there. I was a little skeptical when the previous principal brought the program in but he did not stay. I think he was a great cheerleader but could not have sustained the program. The new principal is always fighting to get new teachers (for the whole school) and she brought in a nicer office staff. The school is also doing better on their test scores.

The School has everything you would want - dedicated teachers, great curriculum, and awesome cultural events thanks to the PTA. The Mandarin program is one of the best. People come from all over the city to enroll their kids in it. Kids range from Brilliant, to challenged and special needs which is why it will never rate a 10. But kids go to school to learn, not to be sifted through arbitrary testing. The only thing that concerns me is the principal. I get the feeling she doesn t care much for parental involvement. I could be misreading it. Also, I was told that at last year s graduation several kids were prohibited from making their prepared commencement speeches due to an incident that did not involve them. That sort of blanket punitive action would be wrong and puts a damper on what would otherwise be a joyous occasion. I certainly hope it s not true. Otherwise, I rate the school highly in accomplishments and effort.

My daughter has attended this school since Pre-K and she is currently in second grade. The first two years is school she was doing great but after the new administrator took over the school and my daughter's grades have decreased. I agree with one of the previous review. When i started noticing the change in my daughter's grades I spoke with her teacher and her teachers would tell me the same thing, that my daughter deserved a better grade but that the principal would no t allow them to give her the grades. I have always been very involved with the teachers to always improve my daughters education. But my disappointment was greater when the principal opted to discuss my daughters need to tutoring with my sister-in-law, so that she would allow my niece to tutor my daughter. Before she even spoke to me and asked for my opinion. I mean who does that right? The principal has very poor ethics and puts more focus on the Dual Manderin- English program than anything else.

Last modified City Terrace Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.