Clover Avenue Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $497,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted November 4, 2009

Great parent support and super teachers. They really care.

Posted November 3, 2009

Clover is a school where students, teachers and parents all contribute for students' successes, a simple fact that exists in only a very few schools

Posted November 3, 2009

Clover Ave is a great school. I've heard so much about it and finally now my son is in the pre-K program, I can certainly see why people say that Clover is great. The school has many activities for both the parents and the students. Also the parenting class available is certainly a great source for the parents.

Posted November 3, 2009

Clover Avenue Elementary School is everything that a great big family is - loving, guiding, caring, teaching, giving, firm and yet fair in rules, reaching out to help everyone, involving the community, and always remembering the preceding generations with fondness. It is a school where multiple generations of families can be found (for many of the school's alumnae return to the neighborhood so that their children can attend, and possibly even have a teacher in common, too!) Many of the teachers are active parts of the community, for instance, coaching many of the students' after school sports teams or encouraging their students to trick-or-treat at their homes. Parents are encouraged to be involved in all ways possible that they are comfortable and able to, and they are encouraged to ask questions to insure full understanding of what's going on with their children's education. Clover is great!

Posted November 2, 2009

I love Clover Avenue Elementary School because it is truly a nurturing environment. This is our 4th year and starting with the principal to the teachers to the parents and volunteers to be open, flexible, and creative. All who are part of our school want it to be great and it is, despite budget cuts and bureaucratic limitations.

Posted November 2, 2009

invested teachers, caring and involved parents, happy kids = great school! couldn't be more proud of Clover Ave Elementary.

Posted November 2, 2009

Clover is a school where the principal, teachers, staff, and the parents commit every ounce of energy and time into believing in the children. The booster club does all they can to earn extra money in ensuring that this school will and always be on top! As a parent, I believe in this school, and am delighted to have my children be a part of this school and the community!

Posted October 13, 2009

Our school has been in the top 10 for publice elementary schools in L.A. county. My kids love the school and don't want to go anywhere else. There is lots of parent pariticipation and very good teachers there. We are blessed to be able to have our kids attend.

Posted September 28, 2009

This school does a great job of of educating our children especially in the areas of arts, social studies, computers, and even the aerospace program. It's great to see our diverse community in attendance and in full support of our local public school.

Posted March 11, 2009

Great school with experienced teachers. We have two kids in this school and they are both loving it, which is the best we can ask for. The socio-economic profile of this school is a little lower than some other West LA schools but this is because UCLA's graduate housing is in the vicinity. The school has great intellectual capital.

Posted January 28, 2009

My daughter has been at Clover for the past 2 1/2 years, and we absolutely love the school. The teachers and staff are wonderful, and the parents are very nice and are extremely involved. As a UCLA aluma as well as a neighborhood Mom, I think the criticism of school is unfair and unwarranted. One must remember that this is a public school, and as much as we want to have smaller classes, it is simply dependent upon the budget it receives from LAUSD. Also, yes, the campus is old and can be cleaner, but with only one custodian for the entire school, what can we expect? We have a lot of parents who go above and beyond to help the school, but sadly, there are plenty who just sit back and criticize.

Posted November 26, 2008

I am a graduate of Clover from back in the day and my daughter just started kindergarden this year at Clover. I'm thrilled she's going there. I love that she's being exposed to international students in her classroom, just like I was when I went there. I remember having best friends from India, Africa, Asia and the Midwest and now she can have the same experience. The staff in the office and the classrooms are wonderful. There are so many opportunities to get involved and her teacher does an amazing job at staying in touch and keeping parents informed. I feel very welcome in my daugther's classroom. I know first-hand the strong education I received at Clover and I can see this happening for my daugther as well. The high test scores are great, but it's the students, teachers, staff and parents that make Clover the best school on the Westside!

Posted November 20, 2008

I am a parent of a 3rd and 5th grader at Clover as well as a Teacher's Assistant. I didn't start working at the school until last year and I am so happy to be part of the Clover 'family'. The Clover Staff, Booster Club, and parents are such amazing people. Not only is it a fantastic school academically, the teachers I work with are so dedicated, bright and fun to be around. My son will be graduating this year and I know he will look back with memories of Clover.

Posted November 20, 2008

This is my third year as the Librarian at Clover, and I must say, I absolutely love working here. The community created by the staff, parents, and students is one of the warmest I have experienced. As a member of the staff, I know first hand how much time teachers and administrators spend outside of school talking, planning, and brainstorming ideas about how to improve the quality of education and experience children have here. I have found the staff here to be deeply invested in the success of all students, and working in that kind of environment is exciting and inspirational. The parent community is very supportive, and teachers are always happy to listen to and work with parents on school improvement through fundraising events, lesson planning, school beautification, and goal setting. It is truly a privledge to work here. Clover is simply fabulous!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 19, 2008

I love Clover, I have a 3rd and a 1st grader attending the school and I am very happy with their education. I can't wait for my little one to be ready to go to Clover. The teachers are wonderful, the parents are very involved, the campus is continuosly being worked on to be more beautiful (by parents), I love its diversity, and it has a loving staff, who knows and cares for my kids. I can't imagine my kids going anywhere else.

Posted November 14, 2008

I have two kids at Clover for the past four years and am very pleased with the quality of their education, the teachers, the school's diversity and the parental involvement. We have high enrollment because of the school's outstanding reputation and scores. We have some amazing new teachers that are great additions to the Clover team! There is much to do regarding parental involvement from fundraising to beautification days where kids and parents all chip in to help wash, plant, pick up trash and more. This is a community school.

Posted November 13, 2008

We love Clover and are very thankful for having found such a great public school. The teachers make learning fun and interesting and really care about the students.

Posted October 6, 2008

Clover is a major disappoint. First, it is dirty and in a state of disarray. If this is a good school I cannot even begin to imagine what a bad school looks like. The idea that they subject young children to this type of environment is appalling. Second, the leadership is to be questioned. Communication with the parent community is spotty. The adminstration is smug and nasty. We understand that there are certain realities of public schools BUT this attitude is unforgivable. Finally, they seem to be oblivious to the needs of children. This year there were too many kindergarteners...but instead of addressing the situation as quickly as possible they waited until 4 weeks in and then moved kids the day before a holiday. Frankly if I ran my business this way, I would not have a business.

Posted September 13, 2008

We love Clover. But, I am disappointed to read a parent write 'UCLA Students prevent a 'neighborhood' culture from forming on the school campus...I encourage my kid to only build relationships with the neighborhood kids.' As a UCLA parent, I feel that this comment perpetuates to an 'us vs. them' attitude. One thing that 'neighborhood' parents should consider is that many UCLA parents do indeed stay within the Clover boundaries once they complete their UCLA education. I understand the concern of having a bestfriend move away, however, based on my experience traveling to other countries and living throughout the US, it is so enriching to create close friendships even if we are together a short time. We must also consider that even 'neighborhood' parents move for work, school or family reasons. I hope that other Clover parents will encourage their children to make friends with any Clover child.

Posted May 21, 2008

We too love Clover, Molly and Sharon, and it is the best of the Westside schools, but it does have its downsides. I think the UCLA Students prevent a 'neighborhood' culture from forming on the school campus. There is an 'us' and 'them' attitude. As a neighborhood parent I encourage my kid to only build relationships with the neighborhood kids as the UCLA kids will be moving soon and I don't want to have to deal with the heartbreak of best friends moving year after year. I agree with all the criticisms of the gifted kids programs. They are bored. I have been told that my kid will be GATE next year, but they are not broken out into different classrooms, only different work groups during the day. My kid is bored with the homework, thereby making homework time a nightmare.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students87%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 545 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents25948%
Students25896%
Employees2854%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11020 Clover Avenue