Clover Avenue Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $497,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted April 27, 2014

We couldn't be happier at Clover. Not only is it a brilliant school academically, it has such a diverse, rich student and parent body that it informs our kids about the greater global world. This should be a model school for the US - diversity in background, economics and languages and yet it is one of the top scoring schools in LA and a Blue Ribbon School. Our kids receive an education that is so much more than simply academics. Clover isn't a fancy looking school, but the commitment to a fine teaching staff and educational excellence is inspiring. And in the end isn't that what education should be about?

Posted April 19, 2014

Great school,staff and teachers are awesome. Principal has a good leadership. I am proud to send my kids in this school.

Posted April 17, 2014

We love Clover and have only had great experiences with all of my daughter's teachers, including Miss Mak. She is a wonderfully caring person who is happy to talk to parents if you see or she sees that there is a need. Maybe the previous reviewer is referring to drop-off or pick-up time. Yes, at drop-off and pick-up, it is true that it is hard to talk to any teacher, maybe because the bell is ringing and they need to start class, or they may need to run to a meeting. But they are more than willing to make an appointment with you and talk at a different time. I don't feel this is an issue of only having time to talk if there is funding. Miss Mak is very friendly, and I can't say enough great things about her.

Posted December 20, 2013

Other staff might be good but Miss Mac of kinder garden is useless. She can help and have time if there is matter of funding otherwise she has never time to explain anything to parents...i had bad experience with her.

Posted October 16, 2013

We are so lucky to have such a little gem at Clover Avenue. It has a small town feeling where families grow together in our little community. The staff is incredible, the students grow everyday intellectually and the parent body supports it in every way! Clover Avenue, hands down, has the best teachers and staff. From TK all the way up to 5th grade, our teachers support their students 100% in all aspects of their learning ability. The teachers here are the reason our kids succeed in their grade levels. The diverse student body is what makes this school so special. There are so many different languages spoken on our campus from the many different backgrounds our students come from. Together we are one big family - Clover family. The support the parents give to the school is one of a kind. They give with their time, effort and as much enthusiasm as they possibly can. We are so very grateful that our children are able to have the experience of attending this top-notch "National Blue Ribbon" school! Thank you Clover for everything you do everyday!

Posted October 15, 2013

Clover Avenue is a great elementary school. No doubt it is one of the top rated LAUSD schools for many reasons including the devoted teachers and dedicated parents that work hard to help fund dance, PE, computer and other programs. My child who is now in 1st grade loves school and is learning so much. We are so glad our child goes to Clover.

Posted October 7, 2013

Clover Avenue Elementary deserves a "5 Star" rating due to its committed faculty and principal. My twin boys in 2nd grade are receiving excellent instruction in the basics and beyond. While it is not funded by the school district, concerned parents have created a "run club" for physical fitness, orchestra instrument lessons are available, and the after school program is well-run and very accessible. Clover Avenue is one of the few Calif schools to win the prestigious NEA Blue Ribbon Award (I believe the only school in LAUSD) in 2012 and 2011.

Posted October 6, 2013

This is one of the very good elementary in LAUSD dispite its short on funding. We don't have money, but we have devoted teachers and parents work really hard for the children. Sure there are lots of fundraising activities, but we don't ask $1000-1200 per student like other similar schools on the donation so really need to be creative to get money for the school. Clover is not perfect, but we're trying our best with limited resources. The diversity of students races is another specialty of Clover. Overall I'm glad that I choose Clover for my kid.

Posted August 22, 2013

We are new family for this school, and my daughter enjoy this school very much. Thanks for the wonderful school.

Posted August 12, 2013

This is an amazing school with so many opportunities for young minds to grow. All the teachers are so kind and open and very willing to help every single child. My daughter is starting 3rd grade tomorrow and cannot wait to go to school. It is true that school asks for donations, but that is b/c their budget is cut every year and if parents don't help who will. It is for our children's sake. I love the school and I make sure I am involved and helping in any way I can. Anyhow, I do think that the administration staff could use improvement is both their skills and behaviors. The principal is great but her office staff is the first impression that the school makes so some training wouldn't hurt (at least they could smile).

Posted June 27, 2013

Clover is an amazing school hidden in the Westside Village community of West Los Angeles. It is an absolutely charming school with amazing teachers. My children transferred mid-year from another 10 out of 10 great school rated LAUSD school and our children had to catch up to Clover's curriculum. After a month they were well on their way to be on track. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the education this public school offers. My 5th grader was just accepted to a private school and, when tested, scored 2 grade levels higher than his actual grade. If all LAUSD schools were like Clover Avenue School the children of Los Angeles would all be given a great start toward successful futures.

Posted May 24, 2013

Clover Avenue Elementary is an excellent school. My child had a great experience in kindergarten and in first grade. My child is now in second grade and he has learned to be a better person and student. His teacher, Ms. Bonilla, is a true inspiration to every parent that meets her. Her knowledge, her commitment, her love, and her appreciation for each individual child has made my family more involved and more comfortable in the school community. A couple of weeks ago, the school had their open house and my child's room exhibited so much learning and creativity. The constant communication from the school, both from the office and teacher, has made me feel part of the community. I'm sad that this wonderful school year is almost over. I look forward to my child continuing at Clover. Thank you Clover!

Posted January 18, 2013

My son has attended this school for 1st & 2nd grade. I love this school!!! My son has thrived here and his teachers have been great. They are caring, very competent teachers. We moved here from the east coast and honestly are so grateful to have found Clover! The teachers, principal and parent involvement is amazing and shows the dedication to the children. If you are looking for an elementary school in this area. You will not go wrong with this school, I am sure you will love it. We are very sad that we are moving again and have to leave this AMAZING school! Its going to be hard to top this!

Posted October 26, 2012

Clover Avenue is one of the best public schools. Given public schools have bad rep these days, I am glad that Clover isn't one of them. My daughter who's in 1st grade loves it. As parents, we love it too. We don't mind being asked to donate money, time etc...It's like paying our taxes, if we see our taxes working for us--why complain. Plus it is not mandatory. We buy our kids toys etc that are not as important as education so why complain on a few dollar here and there. And it's not all money..if we love our children, donate time--help out. I admire the how hard the teachers work to make sure our kids get the best education a public school can give...I can go on an on about this... But if you do not want to give or donate, just don't but do not ruin the reputation of this great school with your negative comment. We love Clove-period.

Posted October 22, 2012

If you are considering sending your child to Clover Avenue School, please don't be put off by the bitter posting of one parent about solicitations for donations. You will NOT find a more diverse, nurturing, academically rigorous school ANYWHERE on the westside of Los Angeles like this one. If you are lucky enough to be a student or parent of a student at Clover Avenue School, you are asked to give. Yes, Clover asks for monetary donations (and they are reasonable compared to the rest of the Westside schools! ) BUT Clover also asks for donations of time, energy, ideas and other kinds of resources. The school and the booster club are sensitive to the fact that not everyone can afford to give financially. There are lots of ways to give, for example, we collect recycling to help fund this wonderful school. If you're a giver in life and not just a taker, if you've a broad mind and broad horizons and believe in the education of EVERY child, not just your own, to make the world a better place, they you're the kind of parent that Clover kids, parents, teachers and our excellent principal will embrace.

Posted October 19, 2012

I feel compelled to review this school based on the most recent review re. solicitations. My daughter is a 1st grader at Clover & is thriving in this wonderful environment. Not only does this school have high API scores and an extraordinary diverse student make-up, but it was just awarded the National Blue Ribbon for academic excellence! All this while operating on the STATE given funds of approx. $60K/year. That's right! That is all the state sees fit to give this amazing school. The school asks for donations, holds fundraisers and does recycling drives to make up for funds we don't get to pay for computer lab, art enrichment, teacher aids, PE, field trips, school supplies that go beyond pencils and basic paper and numerous other things that $60k doesn't cover. The reason this school excels on every level is due to those extra dollars, and extra involvement that these fundraisers and programs help bring. I get a real feeling of community being at this school and can't imagine my child going anywhere else. If you think about it, the money I donate or help raise via fundraisers, is only a small amount compared to what I would have to pay for a private school education.

Posted October 18, 2012

stop solicitation. this is a public school, the school kept sending donation requests every week, sometimes twice a week in various ways. they ask you to buy gift cards, donate cash, donate recycled bottles, buy books, buy raffle tickets, you name it. and also anticipate to get recorded phone calls at least twice a week to remind you to donate.

Posted July 30, 2012

Clover is nurturing, academically challenging, and a delightful school. I have nothing but positive things to say about Clover. This school is top notch-thanks to the parents, students, principal, and the very dedicated teachers. My daughter had the most enriching experience of her life this past year. She LOVES school because of her 3rd grade teacher. That teacher is the gem of Clover. Room 17 will always be near and dear to our hearts as to many other students and parents.

Posted September 25, 2011

Your heading for the science achievement was very negative and misleading! Clover Avenue is a great school with excellent test scores, a high rate of satisfaction, and a fabulous community of students, parents, staff, and caring and committed teachers.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 23, 2011

Clover Avenue Elementary School is awesome in every way. As a parent in Los Angeles, I could not be happier with my child education.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students87%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 545 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents25948%
Students25896%
Employees2854%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11020 Clover Avenue