Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted March 18, 2016
CMCS is the best. The teachers are amazing, the principal is fully engaged, the staff is super friendly and positive. The environment is conducive to learning. It is so peaceful and tranquil - an ideal place for an eager student. The only downfall is the after school program. It is expensive and lacks substance. Other than that, you would be hard pressed to find a rival school. My child loves going to school, and never complains. Sometimes he does not want to get picked up. During school breaks, he can't wait to go back.

Posted November 09, 2015
My family loves this school. We've been at CMCS for four years and we've loved every minute. The students are exposed to so many things and they become friends with a very diverse group of kids which is why we first chose this school. It's far from our house, but nothing could compare to the oasis on top of the hill we call Community.

Posted November 09, 2015
It's unfortunate that a parent would leave this review. I understand it is important to share your perspective, but only if it is accurate. As a volunteer, I happen to know this situation and know that the student presented concerns that the teacher tried managing in several ways...none of which were mean or punitive. It's too bad that frustration would be vented in this way, especially when the school seemed to try and work through the problem. Not every school is for every family but my daughter has had an AMAZING start. I, too, was so excited to win the lottery! She had a bit of trouble adjusting, but I think many kindergarten students would. The teacher was patient and gave me great suggestions which worked like a charm. I find this school to be very loving and responsive when I asked for help. The school goes above and beyond in so many ways, teaching the children what the need to be successful academically and socially. The other parents are great and I still feel like I've won the lottery! I just hope one review doesn't tarnish this OUTSTANDING program.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 09, 2015
Thank you for working so hard to help my daughter learn to read. She really loves school and talks about all the great things going on all of the time.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 09, 2015
The school develops honesty, integrity, and fairness in its students in class and in assemblies. The principal talks to the students about a lot of topics and gives the children a focus for the week that the children talk about in class. It's great to see a school so focus on teaching social skills.

Community Magnet Charter Elementary School 2

Posted November 04, 2015
We were so excited to win the lottery for a coveted spot at CMCS for our Kinder child! Our child had completed multiple years of preschool and was eager to begin a more rigorous style of learning. Let me start by saying, our problem with CMCS is not the curriculum. Yes, it is ROTE - Yes, it IS writing your name 50 times a night - we knew that.....That's not the issue. We had a more serious thing happen. For the first time ever, our child didn't want to go to school. Our child woke up multiple times at night.....crying, begging not to go to school the next day. Our child turned into a different person that hated school.....And that's when we learned that our child was made the first "example" of their punitive style of punishment. Not only was this punishment never fully explained, we also learned that it was only happening in our classroom to start. Our teacher wanted to show everyone who was BOSS. So, on the 2nd day, our 5 year old child was shamed into putting their head down on their desk in a room full of new people. And why? To be made an "example" of. There are also red, yellow and green behavioral cards and they are changed throughout the day depending on if your child has to go to the bathroom or talks out of turn? It's all very confusing and never fully explained in the month we attended the school. Other things we saw that we didn't like included: Children not being able to participate in RECESS or ENRICHMENTS because they didn't finish their work? The school basically ends at noon and there is no afternoon program. And the kids are forced to lie down on a dirty rug with nothing placed under their heads - even if you supply a empty pillowcase. We approached the principal with concerns but were sent straight back to the teacher. We decided that this might have made the situation worse for our child so we left. But, I do want to urge prospective parents that some of the Kinder teachers are WAY PAST THEIR PRIME when it comes to patience, understanding and enthusiasm. And isn't Kindergarten supposed to be fun? Well, the CMCS Kinder program is more of a BOOT CAMP - There is NO SOCIAL EMOTIONAL approach so if that's in your must haves - it's not happening in this pretty location either. That said, we hear the school is great if you can sweat it past the Kinder year. But you've been warned!

Posted November 10, 2014
We love this school and feel so lucky that all 3 of our girls have attended!

Community Magnet Charter Elementary School 4

Posted August 29, 2014
My child is in his second year at Community, and we couldn't be happier with all that he has learned/is learning! CMCS is an ethnically and socioeconomically diverse community, which is hard to find in LA, but the school is small enough to be protected and nurturing. The principal, teachers, and staff are truly caring, wonderful individuals and we've made good friends here, as has our child. Our child is incredibly happy. One downside is that the aftercare is not robust as it is at other schools - it is supervised babysitting, there is no STAR program. As well, students come from all over the city, so playdates can be challenging. But given all of the pluses here, those are small things.

Posted March 19, 2014
This school is just WONDERFUL! This is our first year here, and we feel so blessed. Thanks CMCS for such a good job. We love the campus, the teachers and the education is exceptional.

Posted November 18, 2013
My first son graduated and went to Walter Reed IHP. He is highly gifted and new school teacher said he has been well prepared by his elementary school. He said CMCS (Community Magnet Charter School) is best school ever. All the kid whom I have met are very proud of their school. I love this school. I love all the teachers I have ever met. My second son is still in the school and he is doing good, too. CMCS is best school in LAUSD.

11301 Bellagio Road, Los Angeles, CA  90049-1705
Last modified Community Magnet Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.