Los Angeles, CA

Posted June 09, 2015
My child has just completed Kindergarten here. The Kindergarten teacher, Ms. Thompson does an excellent job at preparing her young scholars for first grade success and I could not have been happier with her performance. While STAR isn't returning next year, another after school enrichment program is taking its place. Additionally, orchestra, Spanish, as well as a few other enrichment activities such as but not limited to academic and geography "decathlons" are returning as well. Cowan is strengthening its relationship / partnership with LMU and beginning next fall, 5th and 6th grade students will be introduced to the process of middle school prep and college expectations coupled with field trips to college campuses. I love the intimacy of the Gifted Magnet program and that Cowan isn't an over crowded school. There are exciting changes taking place at Cowan that I look forward to seeing developing and moreover be a part of. Though the parent below complained of a certain "type" of parent here, please know that are many "good families" at Cowan who are dedicating themselves to bringing about positive experiences for our children.

Cowan Avenue Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 09, 2015
Currently, yes. But this is a question that I will tackle on a year-year basis.

Cowan Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted May 28, 2015
I will just state the facts: STAR musical and PTO musical are both on 5/28/2015. STAR will not be returning to Cowan 2015-2016 The principal has been at Cowan for 16 years (way too long) 15 years ago enrollment was over 500 students next year I hope enrollment is at 150 ( I blame this on the principal too) My grand-daughter is graduating in June and my other grand-daughter is in a lower grade. The parents at this school are hood rats. And instead of the principal managing parents, he is the ring leader for all of the mess and problems. I have volunteered but have had enough and my other grand-daughter will not be returning next year. Please do not send your child to this prison-like environment. It is not safe and bullying is encouraged.

Posted October 24, 2013
Great teachers who communicate well with the parents care about their students. I like the after school activities and the use of the internet as a way for parent to keep in touch with the teachers.

Posted September 28, 2013
Our family recently moved to the area and our kids started Cowan this year. The school year started a bit rocky, but the incredible urgency, professionalism and most importantly compassion Mr. D, the teachers and fellow parents put forth made it a smooth transition! We are so thankful for the staff and community here, and wish everyone the opportunity to experience what makes this school so "special!"

Posted September 27, 2013
In the time that I have been teaching at Cowan, I have enjoyed my students and the their parents tremendously. My students are interested in learning, challenging themselves and me, as well. Parent involvement is a welcome source of support and activism for the school community. The school has a varied and rich tradition which the students, staff, and community enjoy. A blossoming spirit of collaboration and focus has brought students and teachers together to make positive changes at Cowan. I'm excited about the direction and future of our school.

Posted September 27, 2013
There have been a lot of wonderful changes implemented at Cowan. The students and parents are wonderful to work with and extremely helpful. I'm am so thrilled to be working here and happy to feel such a strong support from the community. Bravo to all for your efforts and commitment to our children's learning.

Posted September 27, 2013
i have two Grandkids at Cowan ES. I love the Teachers and the team spirit!

Posted September 27, 2013
Cowan elementary is an excellent school. Great teachers, excellent staff, and a wonderful Principal. The magnet program is awesome. The school even has "valet". The school has a great "PTO" this year 2013. The "dad's club is awesome.

Posted September 27, 2013
I love Cowan Avenue Elementary School. We have had our children enrolled here since 2007, and I can't imagine going anywhere else. As with any school, you have ups and downs, and it is during the down times you see what the parents and administration are really made of. When others fled Cowan to attend newly built neighborhood schools, the parents that stayed proved that team work and mutual respect is what makes a school great. Not only was the 6th grade Magnet class one of the top scoring Academic Performing in Math classes in the state, but the reason those students excelled was thanks to the depth of teachers from K-5th that aided those students to success. Add to that the amazing parent involvement, and you have students that have found a second home here at Cowan. I have read the criticisms listed here, and no school is perfect. It is how everyone rallies together to exploit each other's strengths that makes Cowan awesome. I love the students. Cowan has impressive character.

Cowan Avenue Elementary School
7615 Cowan Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90045
(310) 645-1973
Last modified Cowan Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cowan Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 123 reviews. Top