Los Angeles, CA

Posted October 24, 2013
Great teachers who communicate well with the parents care about their students. I like the after school activities and the use of the internet as a way for parent to keep in touch with the teachers.

Posted September 28, 2013
Our family recently moved to the area and our kids started Cowan this year. The school year started a bit rocky, but the incredible urgency, professionalism and most importantly compassion Mr. D, the teachers and fellow parents put forth made it a smooth transition! We are so thankful for the staff and community here, and wish everyone the opportunity to experience what makes this school so "special!"

Posted September 27, 2013
In the time that I have been teaching at Cowan, I have enjoyed my students and the their parents tremendously. My students are interested in learning, challenging themselves and me, as well. Parent involvement is a welcome source of support and activism for the school community. The school has a varied and rich tradition which the students, staff, and community enjoy. A blossoming spirit of collaboration and focus has brought students and teachers together to make positive changes at Cowan. I'm excited about the direction and future of our school.

Posted September 27, 2013
There have been a lot of wonderful changes implemented at Cowan. The students and parents are wonderful to work with and extremely helpful. I'm am so thrilled to be working here and happy to feel such a strong support from the community. Bravo to all for your efforts and commitment to our children's learning.

Posted September 27, 2013
i have two Grandkids at Cowan ES. I love the Teachers and the team spirit!

Posted September 27, 2013
Cowan elementary is an excellent school. Great teachers, excellent staff, and a wonderful Principal. The magnet program is awesome. The school even has "valet". The school has a great "PTO" this year 2013. The "dad's club is awesome.

Posted September 27, 2013
I love Cowan Avenue Elementary School. We have had our children enrolled here since 2007, and I can't imagine going anywhere else. As with any school, you have ups and downs, and it is during the down times you see what the parents and administration are really made of. When others fled Cowan to attend newly built neighborhood schools, the parents that stayed proved that team work and mutual respect is what makes a school great. Not only was the 6th grade Magnet class one of the top scoring Academic Performing in Math classes in the state, but the reason those students excelled was thanks to the depth of teachers from K-5th that aided those students to success. Add to that the amazing parent involvement, and you have students that have found a second home here at Cowan. I have read the criticisms listed here, and no school is perfect. It is how everyone rallies together to exploit each other's strengths that makes Cowan awesome. I love the students. Cowan has impressive character.

Cowan Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted April 11, 2013
My family used to attend this school. We stayed for the first semester only. Too much parent involvement can be damaging to a school and the lack of diversity in teacher staff doesn't make it better. The principal is ok. He cares about the students, but he seems to care more about the donations that comes in when it comes to teacher support. As much as I would like to, I just can't recommend Cowan. My family ended up at Kentwood. My son has had a few challenges academically, but that's because the teacher wasn't teaching everything in the curriculum, but tested him on the material anyway. That's a BIG no-no in my book. He also wasn't applying himself as much as he could have (another no-no). All in all, both situations have since been rectified and the teacher moved at the end of his 4th grade school year (she taught him in 3rd). This year he is thriving! His 5th grade teacher is a bubbly, intelligent, burst of creativity and happiness. My entire family is now at Kentwood, and we couldn't be happier!

Cowan Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted October 15, 2012
I am disgusted with what is happening at Cowan. Simply disgusted! There is just so much wrong with the school that it is too much to express in this small space. I urge anyone considering Cowan to go talk to the parents at the school and not to rely on the positive comments on this site. Choosing Cowan will be the biggest regret of your life.

Posted August 29, 2012
I have been happy with the quality of the teachers. The Principal is probably not the most effective administrator, but he has some really good qualities. There have been issues throughout the years. A bunch of silly egos. Parents and administration. I never felt they were worth leaving the school.

Cowan Avenue Elementary School
7615 Cowan Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90045
(310) 645-1973
Last modified Cowan Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cowan Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 117 reviews. Top