Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Pros: Diverse students drawn from a diverse neighborhood. Many GATE students, both local community and transfers. Many excellent teachers. These teachers are clustered in k-3. Cons: Some very average and below average teachers as well. Like government workers, in the worst sense. Especially in the upper grades. Some of the teachers are absolutely excellent, most are good, and some are poor. If you are thinking of transferring here b/c its an SAS school, I would discourage it. There is a good chance you will miss the positives the school has to offer. 3 years with an average or poor teacher (which can happen) is probably not worth the disruption.

I had my children at a nearby Charter from Dahlia and it has been the best choice I made. It got to a point where the kids and the system at the charter school reminded me of the song " Another Brick on the Wall" at Dahlia they are now more social and can have fun while learning and have really excelled socially and academically. They are happier and always eager to learn. The teachers and the parents are very welcoming. The teachers and administration are also very supportive and communicate so well with staff, parents and the community.

Amount of homework: Agree

The school provides with the proper amount. At the previous school they where provided with excessive amount that would take any where from 4 to 6 hours that would equal to 16pages a day. The children get enough not to hate or dread school.

I can't argue with the fact that this school is a hidden gem and it's in my very own city! It's without a doubt a great school, with some awesome teachers and dedicated parents. However with that dedication, comes this sense of entitlement from the very active members of the PTA. Let's get real, you're not curing cancer, you are voting on what to sell at the bake sale. Needless to say they take their job very seriously. It's this type of attitude that 's a huge reason why I am not more directly involved. The cliques (formed by parents) that you encounter rival those of middle students who gossip daily debating on who they should allow to sit at their lunch table. For the record, I know I am not the only parent who feels this way. I fully support this school and faculty and with the exception of a few bad apples, I would have to say I am very happy with sending my daughter to Dahlia.

We have been parents at Dahlia for four years with one child in 3rd grade and another now in Kinder and our experience has been great. The new Principle and PTA work very hard to give the students the best experience possible. It's a very small community and we feel our children are safe at Dahlia and getting a well rounded education. As part of the LAUSD system it's not perfect but there are a lot of teachers, staff, and parents there working everyday to make it as strong as possible.

My son has attended k-6 at Dahlia. I've been pleased to have him with so many amazing teachers. He loves the school.

I went to this elementary school from 2002-2005 when I first moved from Mexico to the United States and couldn't have asked for a better transition. I really do wish I could have attended all through my elementary years but unfortunately only experienced 4-6th grades. Every teacher I had was absolutely amazing and helped guide me and prepare me for later success. There was a lot of fine arts which I think still persist; it was a great way to make kids excited about each day. I believe 2 of the 3 teachers I had are still in the school. We ended up moving away and my brother finished school elsewhere, it was a day and night difference: this school cares about who students will eventually grow up to be.

Parent involvement and influence seem to have reached an all time high. The parents involved have created funding for arts programs, field trips and general teacher/student assistance. Its good to be a part of such a pro-active parent school.

We are first year parents with our daughter in Kindergarten. The PTA and Principal are extremely pro-active and the classroom size/student body is manageable. We are VERY impressed thus far!

With the last of three children having graduated from Dahlia in June, it is bittersweet to be leaving our Dahlia home behind. We will truly miss the school, faculty and staff, and consider many of them good friends. My kids obtained a great education, and are prepared for the next phase that lies ahead. Dahlia families are very committed to this school and work very hard to provide the kids with opportunities in, and beyond the classroom. Congrats to the families that are entering this year, you will be surprised and amazed with this special and beloved place.

Last modified Dahlia Heights Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.