No rating

Temple Israel Of Hollywood Day School

Private | K-6 | 206 students

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $650,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted June 9, 2014

Where to begin about Temple Israel of Hollywood - the teachers of course. It all begins with the teachers. My two sons have been there now a total of 9 years (my oldest K-5, my youngest K-2), in that time we've had 12 different teachers, each more amazing than the next. Academically both boys, though wildly different in temperament, have thrived. But more than that, Temple Israel's teachers create a family environment so full of love and respect, school feels more like a home to them than just a school. I remember the tricks I used to pull to get out of school and either my kids are not nearly as clever as I was or they simply love the place - I almost never hear "I don't want to go to school today." Throw in a top notch administration and a super-involved and cool parent community and you have the makings of greatness. My oldest is headed to Larchmont Charter next year, he'll miss Temple Israel so much, but one thing I know for sure - he'll arrive at his new school confident. educated, and loved. Thank you Temple Israel of Hollywood Day School!

Posted April 13, 2014

I was very unhappy with this school so I pulled both of my kids out!

Posted April 7, 2014

An amazing school -- warm, nurturing and academically challenging! They really get to know your child. My daughter went all the way through 6th grade and transitioned easily to a rigorous 7-12 private school.

Posted April 6, 2014

I've been a parent at the Day School for seven years I'm so impressed with the academic strategy---how the programs grow and adapt based on student needs and developing technologies. They blend spiritual, emotional & academic development very well. We are very happy there with the community, administration and faculty. As for the community, the more you put I to it theore you receive We invest a lot of our hearts and minds there and feel we are rewarded in droves.

Posted April 4, 2014

An amazing school and community! The kids never want to leave- that sums it up!

Posted April 4, 2014

Our academics are rigorous and our students are joyful. Our approach to learning is holistic and developmentally appropriate; it is anchored in Jewish values and ethics, and build upon a culture of living Jewishly as our rich foundation. Our graduates are highly prepared for and accepted to LA's top private middle schools, public magnets, and charter schools. Middle schools love our graduates because they report, "Temple Israel kids know who they are and what they need to be successful."
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 9, 2011

Had great hopes for this temple/school but found the principal to care only about money, not about parents involvement at all. As I was unable to contribute as much money as other of my child's classmates, I was shunned and the teachers became less friendly. They are interested in reputation, not people.

Posted May 13, 2010

I have never seen a school so beautifully educate the whole child: mind, and spirit. The graduates are such well spoken, kind and menschy human beings, who make good choices and share the value of giving back to the community. I can not wait for my child to start there in the fall!

Posted April 1, 2010

I toured a lot of private schools in the area. TIOH isn't the prettiest, or the best at selling itself, but the kids who come out of there were the most well spoken, kindest, most enthusiastic bunch of all of them. I highly recommend you check out the place. Especially in a town like LA, where kids grow up too fast, TIOH is a great start to raising a smart mensch-y kid. And the new principal, Rachel Lewin is incredible.

Posted December 3, 2009

The new principal is incredible! She's made the school a bit more rigorous academically but hasn't lost one bit of the warm community feeling. I've never seen more confident, happy, interested children in any school. Whether or not you're Jewish (we're a mixed faith family), you can't go wrong with the amazing academics and character building that this school does.

Posted May 19, 2009

Great school, great community! All teachers are warm and nurturing. The prinicpal is phenomenal. Any problems are handled right away and efficaciously. It has been a joy to be part of this school.

Posted February 27, 2009

The best thing we did was to pull our kids out of Temple Israel's day school. The school has lost it's focus and unfortunately, their main objective seems to be Hebrew & judiac studies. My children are now thriving in a much more traditional, structured, & academic inviroment. Three things that Temple Israel is lacking in my opinion.

Posted February 11, 2009

Great school with dedicated staff that welcomes all kids and creates learning opportunities to each child. Couldn't ask for more for my kids

Posted January 15, 2008

Our daughter is in 1st grade at TIOH and we've seen an amazing young girl developing. We believe that the Principal's vision is translated to the teachers and students! An amazing place!

Posted January 11, 2007

Our son has attended Temple Israel for three yrs. The principal is amazing! The teachers warm, caring, nurturing. Class size this yr., is 16 kids, three teachers. We highly, highly recommend this school! An amazing community!

Posted October 28, 2006

This is a fabulous school. We've been at TIOH for four years now and I can't say enough about the quality of the teachers and the education our children are recieving. While I was a little nervous about sending our kids to a parochial school (I'm not Jewish), I have been thrilled with the experience and the richness that part of their education provides. In addition to getting a fabulous education (and TIOH kids get into -- and thrive at -- the best secondary schools in LA), they are also getting a lovely moral and ethical education, particularly in learning the importance of making the world a better place, however you can.

Posted August 24, 2006

Our daughter has attended TIOH for 7 years. The school has cultivated her natural ability to learn and excel beyond the standards of other schools both private and public in our area. Through pull-out programs and concerned teachers who adapt lessons to continually challenged her, our child rises or exceeds all expectations giving her the ability to prosper at any middle school of our choice. The parent group is active and help to bring special enrichment programs to campus giving the children opportunities that wouldn't exist at public schools. The principal's dedication to each child's individual needs creates an environment where all can prosper and thrive, even when abilities differ. Over the years, I have seen the kids blossom, finding their young selves, as each is presented with choices in the arts, sports as well as academic programming. This was not our first choice but ecstatic we stayed.

Posted March 29, 2006

Our son has been at TIOH for 3 years now (pre-pre, pre, and now pre-K). We are extremely happy with the his experience. While a Hollywood community for sure, the 'grounded' nature of the parents is a real plus. We are thrilled with his friends and the community that he has created. My only complaint would be the playground facility and grounds in general, but as a creature of habit, what you don't have you don't really miss. The teachers are warm & intimate and clearly building a cultural identity I know he will have throughout his life. He is interested in learning. Finally, and most importantly I do believe they have understood inately how to help foster who he is and to support him in that evolution. I reccomend!

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Hannah Bennett
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Jewish

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Special ed
  • Special eduction
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7300 Hollywood Boulevard