Posted December 04, 2013
This school would be way better of they had a different principal. She is great but their is a gut-wrenching feeling of mine that she is hiding money. Honestly all the money student council and POD has earned has gone to waste. They care more about the visualization of the school. They do not care about the happiness of the students. I went their and the principal has her favorites and least favorites. One bad mistake puts you on the bad list for life. She makes decisions based on her opinion. She is not opened to any other ideas. She is a horrible principal. They blame parents and call some bad parents.

Posted December 01, 2013
This is our first year at Dorris Place. So far, so good! The Fall Festival was a tremendous success.

Posted September 20, 2013
WELL HOPE THESE SCHOOL HAS REALLY IMPROVE BUT YEARS BACK MY SON WENT TO DORRIS I HAD SO MUCH PROBLEM WITH STAFF AND OFFICE THEY NEVER GOT TOGETHER THEY WOUL NEVER GIVE THE TRU ON THE FINANCIAL HOPE THESE PRINCIPAL DO BETTER AND CAN TELL PARENT WERE THE MONEY IS GOING AND SHE WILL NOT IGNORE ALL THE QUESTION PARENT HAVE. SO IT TAKE YEAR FOR A SYSTEM LIKE THAT TO CHANGE AND WE ALL NEED CHANGE TO BE MORE CLEAR AND HONEST TO THE KID SPECIALY

Posted September 10, 2013
Dorris Place Elementary School is such a precious school. The teachers and principal nourish each child. The principal knows each childs name. I dont think I ever met such an approachable principal. My son has gone to this school for three years and he loves it they give him the attention he needs.

Posted July 19, 2012
Dorris Place Elem. is the best kept secret in LAUSD. Amazing! The building looks like it belongs on a Harvard University campus, is immaculate, the teachers are incredible and the coordinator, assistant principal and principal are phenomenal. They know the name and aptitude of every single student and they are fierce advocates of each child. The principal is completely approachable and outgoing, keeps her office door open, and happily makes time to answer questions and give tours to prospective students and parents. We have the SRLDP preK program! The API scores are some of highest in the region, the students are taught to be "responsible, respectful, and ready to learn." With only 306 students, classes are not over crowded and the atmosphere is peaceful and nurturing. With field trips like orchestral concerts, whale watching, museums, Pacific Aquarium and new playground equipment, a computer lab, and a newly decorated library that looks even cuter than the Barnes and Noble kids' section, this school is an absolute gem! And it's FREE! Also, Partners of Dorris (POD), the most devoted parent group, formed a 501(c)3 to fund enrichment programs. At Dorris Place, we are all family.

Posted March 11, 2012
We decided on Dorris when the SRLDP was eliminated from our home school. We then found out there were openings at Dorris Place. It was an instant fit. Now my son is in kindergarten, with Mrs. Jones. She s a wonderful teacher and is excellent with the children. We are quite pleased. The principal is accessible and easy to talk to and we love the entire staff there.

Posted October 13, 2011
Both of my daughters started Dorris Place this year and we love it! We live in downtown and couldn't find a good school with great scores and some ethnic diversity. We had even been considering private school until I found this one on greatschools and visited during open enrollment. This school is stunning and in a beautiful neighborhood tucked in Elysian Valley known as frogtown. The principal Susan Schmidt is doing an incredible job! Test scores have jumped over the last few years. It has a great non-profit called POD (Partners Of Dorris) ran primarily by the parents that just started up this year that helps raise money for the school to cover so many recent budget cuts. Also there is a gifted program for your advanced learners so no children are bored! This school has parents and staff who love their school and their kids. It is a diamond! I am very impressed. We are staying!

Posted March 25, 2010
Everyone at this school, from the Administration, teachers, and children are all AWESOME. My son loves his new school!

Posted October 13, 2009
My Son is in the First Grade and he also attended Kindergarten here as well. The attention each student is phenomenal. The afternoon programs keep students engaged after hours, and parent involvement is encouraged. I love this school for my child.

Posted September 15, 2009

Dorris Place Elementary School
2225 Dorris Place, Los Angeles, CA  90031
Last modified Dorris Place Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dorris Place Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top