Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This review is long overdue. My kids transferred from Renaissance Arts to ERHS at just the right time - the older one was able to join the first cohort of IB Diploma Programme students. Do not be deterred by the large class sizes and cinder-block campus. As a neurotic with OCD, I have learned more than is healthy about pedagogy, testing, progressive education, K-12 education and higher ed in the US and across PISA test nations, etc. ERHS excels in everything that truly matters: devoted faculty and staff, a supportive, nurturing environment (no bullying that I know of), programming for every type of student, and frequent communication and transparency with parents. ERHS is a community school with loads of school spirit, rich in tradition. Generations of families have gone here. Go see for yourself. Talk to Mrs. Keipp, a dynamo of a principal who not only teaches a class and keeps abreast of trends and technologies while managing budget and personnel issues - but parents her own kids at school (oldest daughter now at Stanford). Check out the secret garden. Go to the Jr/Sr powderpuff football game. ERHS's track record speaks for itself. 4-yr college-bound kids don't just go on to the UCs, as great as they are. Despite being staffed by a single college counselor, ERHS regularly sends a couple of kids to Harvard and Brown and is making inroads into liberal arts colleges like Wellesley and Smith (Book Award for each) and Middlebury and Kenyon. The IB Coordinator, to whom we are indebted, goes out of his way to counsel kids for college placement, write recommendations and nominate students for scholarships such as Posse. This year alone there were 4 Posse Scholarships. RenArts is a great program, but the administration is run like a cult of personality with no thought to succession planning or professional development (as far as I can tell). And that's fine for the favored few. But ERHS truly stands by all of its students. Unlike NoHo Highly Gifted Magnet, which can afford to cherry pick the very brightest, ERHS exemplifies diversity in every dimension. And unlike LACES, you don't need to strategize magnet points from birth to get in. At ERHS, the ideals of public education are put into practice every day. ERHS is a beacon of hope and possibility within a beleaguered LAUSD. We hit the jackpot when we transferred to ERHS.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I attend monthly meetings for parents. We get to see how faculty have been trained for the IB curriculum - I am impressed by how thorough and intensive the training and curriculum design are.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There seems to be some busy work (outlining textbooks) that don't seem to engage students creatively, but I don't know if that's the AP curriculum or the teacher's personal style.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are treated like adults with responsibilities. They have a great deal of autonomy in running student activities. Although there is no formal honor code that I know of, I have never heard of cheating or pressure to improve test scores.

What a gem of a school! Teachers and staff care and are very involved, despite the lack of funding challenges. We are so happy to have an exceptional education in a public LAUSD school. Our son is challenged and is encouraged to challenge himself in this intense IB curriculum.

im impressed with my kids learning. they easily adjust to the curriculum and environment . they easily learn English and meet new friends. I'm hopeful that they may continue to encourage and support new students especially from different country! More Power and looking forward for more years of healthy happy and trusting relationship with parents teachers and students!

The school has so many options that other schools don't. It's a highly gifted magnet school. It's an International Baccalaureate school. It has a variety of AP classes. The students take 4 classes a day on a block schedule. We have an extremely diverse student population. What else does one have to say? On the list of the most challenging schools in CA, we're 135 ahead of La Canada, South Pasadena, and San Marino (Washington Post). Also, since it's an IB school, students are more highly sought after by universities than the rest of the student population by an average of 22%. Don't let this rating system fool you. Out of 10 stars, we're a 10.

I'm in the 8th grade and I have made many friends in this very school I enjoy the teachers here c: I love the optional classes here But there may be bullies here and there if you dress in bands t-shirts or say bad things about people. The problem is that the only swim teacher (Mrs. Matsumura) makes me cover my clothing because she is to religious and is afraid of skulls, also has thought I was a satanist but I cleared that up other than that I'm perfectly fine with my school c:

Both my children recently graduated from ERHS and were accepted to colleges of their choice with excellent scholarships. They were groomed to be leaders and passed all of their 6to 8 AP courses. I love the school. They have tons of sports and clubs to join. I'm excited that my youngest will be starting ERHS in 7th next year.

This school is GREAT! My sister used to attend this school and had a 5.0 GPA in 11th-12th grade and a 4.0 in 8th-10th grade. She graduated and was accepted into many colleges with many scholarships. I now attend the school and am in 10th grade. I have been there since 7th grade and have had great experiences since. All the teachers are very helpful and actually care about each student equally. There are always fun events happening in the school. Since im in the Gifted MAGNET program I know that AP and Honors classes are great in academics. There are almost no bullies and everyone is welcome. Every day you learn so much from the revolving 4 classes out of 8 each day. I extremely recommend this school if you want your child to have great academic and fun experiences that will help them later on in life.

Last modified Eagle Rock High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.