El Sereno Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1358 students

El Sereno Middle School & Magnet Center is an International Baccalaureate School

Posted July 7, 2014

I went to this school and I can say it was pretty cool, most teachers were very friendly and nice, example; Mr. Stemnock, Ms. O'Sullivan, Ms. Yee, Tellez, etc. The campus is spacious and offers places to go to. Security does pretty well too. I attended here from 6th to 8th and I'm glad I went there. I got to meet some cool teachers and students as well. Hope anyone else who goes there has a great time!

Posted April 24, 2014

My School is Awesome!! El Sereno Middle School has been turned upside down & inside out!! Our new principal has turned things around here, We are an International Baccalaureate School! The students have IB profiles & units that help them think outside the box, college ready, career ready, life ready. We have a garden, kids enjoy planting, weeding, mulching, learning in an environment that enrichs their learning skills.. Thanks to Enrich LA, Tomas O' Grady & Dr. Gipson our principal for bringing this oppurtunity to our school, our community, our students. Come check out the scholar way murial. 6th graders have an option to enroll into the USC NAI program. My other daughter is a 1st grader, so I am hoping the program is still here when she enrolls in 4 years here at ESMS. Come & See what El Sereno Middle School has to offer. It is different, it feels different. This public school offers so much that other private schools charge lots of money for. Forget all you have heard from the past, this is now, and these kids are our future & here they can grow to be difference makers in this world, our community & in their families!!

Posted April 17, 2014

Wow! I attended ESMS too.. Never in my wildest dreams I thought I would have kids and have them attend ESMS also. I have three kids and two of them graduated from here too. Now wishing for my youngest to do so too.. ESMS is a good school and it has has all the tools that student need to achieve their education.. I tell my kids the same words my mo Mold told my brothers and sisters when we attended school here! This school might have a bad reputation but it's not what the school makes for the student? It's what the student takes from the school! I could proudly say my kids have gotten the principals award and the 4.0 GPA award!! I am proud to say "I am a proud parent of ESMS.

Posted August 26, 2013

I am now a junior attending Azusa Pacific University, but I still make it a priority to come back and visit the teachers and staff whenever I have the chance. Everyone who works here is dedicated, passionate, and they strive to ensure student success. I was involved in both the Environmental Science Academy Program, which included some of the most academically influential instructors I have had the pleasure of working under, and the AVID program, which ensured that I was actively involved in paving a path toward success at the university level. I consider each and every staff member of El Sereno Middle School to be a family member and I have no idea as to where I would be academically if it were not for the staff and instructors who constantly poured their hearts and souls into molding me into the high achiever that I have become over the past ten years.

Posted August 19, 2013

School just started, and I couldn't be a happier parent. My 7th grader loves her classes and teachers. The school has a really positive vibe :) this school has made a special place for everyone. You can go to two magnets, an environmental science academy, dual language academy, or even start with USC now and get a scholarship for your kids future. ESMS is a special place!!!!!!!!

Posted August 15, 2013

Woo hoo, our school is an International Baccalaureate School with both Mandarin and Spanish dual language programs. My teachers are awesome and we have a real arts program that wins more trophies than any other middle school- our drumline rocks. I'm getting ready to change the world and my teachers are getting me ready :)

Posted June 4, 2013

My school is very good. There are less fights and more activities June 4, 2013

Posted June 27, 2012

i am a student i did not like teachers and i didnt care about school but wen i became intrested in music i became a trombone player in the 6th grade as a beginner i was nat good but my teacher mr.legaspi helped me and i was inspired and never gave up i am now in advansed band and currently in the drumline we have won 1st place for th 5th time in a row . i am hoping to be able to be in the all city band whitch marches the rose parade . i am going to march the 4 of the july parade this year i am learning low rider and many other music . look if you kids or parents want a good middle school for your kids i recommened el sereno its the one school i felt like home but the worry if you dont want your son to be in a band but they like mariachi or playing the drums the music deparment will be the place you will like and we also have some really good piono players if you wanna see the drumline practice or here the tipe of music we play please go to you tube and put el sereno drumline or pep band or even mariachi. we even have a jazz band for you people who like the nice good soft music there is even diffrent activities that we have in this schoole lik S.R.L.A . -written by a student :)

Posted September 3, 2011

This school has improved allot.It use to be one of the worst schools in LAUSD but has hugely improved.I just graduated this year 2010-2011.And well my experience here wasn't that great.I went to the deans allot and i got bullied.But hey i did meet some cool people.The only good counselor in this school was Ms.Seranno but she got a pink slip and so did the whole music department.There were some good teachers like Mr.Bautista,Ms.Corona,Ms.Pena,Mr.Huey,Mrs.Schooler,Ms.Wu......I sometimes felt sorry for them because i felt they deserved a better school than this dump....But i did have some nice memories here.....

Posted March 6, 2011

This school is simple, bad grades, bad teachers. Good grades, good teachers. Bad community, bad everything, pretty much.

Posted September 13, 2009

Awesome school! Im a 7th grader. (NEW TO THIS SCHOOL) And I was so nervous to come here. But before the day it began my mom and me went to take a tour of the school. And the next day it was like I was there forever. I love it. TO any new students in the future dont be scared even of switching classes, making friends, or having more than one teacher. Its awesome better than Elem.! I was told this school was bad so many times but thats a lie! I totally recommend this school other than Emery park i used to go to a private school but this school is way better and even more better with the help it is getting from the mayor! You'll love it this school is awesome! Even P.E is awesome,and im a girl. So thats about it but youll love it! Trust me!

Posted May 31, 2009

El Sereno is an okay skool. If ur looking for a good school, I recommend the El Sereno Magnet.

Posted April 27, 2009

Nice :) This School is Awesome; Im a student and i think its great. i barley moved here i was going to a private school and the very first day the teachers were very welcoming and the students were very nice and open. as of when i went to a private school the teavhers didnt even talk to me :(

Posted April 21, 2009

This is a wonderful and great school for all kids. its very open to the community, and very inspiring. i learned alot from here and im a succesful buisness man

Posted March 18, 2009

the books are good they are gving new book nesxt year and teh school is goood everyone that says that el sereno middle school is bad school should check because i go there and its good i learned way more than in private schools

Posted January 15, 2009

The administration of this school is out of touch with what is really going on. Their only concerns are with the CST and enrollment. They are too week to enforce even the dress code effective and the new notebook program is regarded as a joke. Teachers are unsupported by the administration or the district and classroom matterials, such as textbooks and desks are terrible.

Posted December 13, 2008

They have a wonderful magnet program which presents wonderful opportunities to their students. The teachers are nice,friendly, and understanding.

Posted December 2, 2008

Its a pretty nice school with an awesome magnet program. Been in the magnet for my 3 years. I've made many great memories with the magnet. Its a close-knit community. The school has a decent number of afterschool activies and has an above average security. A decent number of electives, just not enough for the magents. The dress code isn't all that bad but I'll be glad to be done with it after this year. The staff and teachers are pretty friendly and try their best to help. My only complains was how they changed the magnet program to 3 classes instead of the orginal 2 and the fact that after the pe teacher left they spread us. The campas is pretty clean. I'll be sad to leave this school.

Posted November 28, 2008

El Sereno MS is a big and organized campus. The security staff are fair and most teachers are considerate of their students. It's an awesome school!

Posted October 12, 2008

This school is the best school ever. Their teachers are very nice and their Magnet Program really helps the students raise their grade levels. They have pretty good safety rules. But I don't really like their dress code. They get you really prepared for the CST's and high school.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

481 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

299 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

528 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

571 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

530 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students50%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)48%
Parent education - college graduate66%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate62%
Parent education - declined to state34%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students12%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
German
Hebrew
Japanese
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • QEIA Promising Practice (2014)
  • LAUSD Model of Excellence (2012)
  • International Baccalaureate Authorization (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Healthy Start Collaborative (2014)
  • Enrich LA (2013)
  • Global Youth Awareness (2014)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Special olympics

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
  • DualLanguage Programs
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 1297 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Frances Gipson, PhD
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (323) 223-9024

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Dual Language
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Outdoor / Farm-based

• Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • ASL- American Sign Language
  • Flag girls
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Recycling club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Farmdale ES
El Sereno ES
City Terrace ES

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Wilson HS