Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted January 29, 2016
I have heard very good things about the teachers at this school. However, I am very concerned with the administration and the direction the school is headed.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted January 29, 2016
I am concerned about the direction this school is headed. I have seen it before.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Emerson Community Charter School 5

Posted December 02, 2015
I can't say enough good things about this school. The school offers so many great opportunities for the students. My only complaint is that it's not possible for my child to take advantage of them all. Our whole family went to see the musical production even though our daughter wasn't in it. The auditorium was packed. So nice to see all the kids come out to support their friends. And it was an amazing production. So much talent. I hear the students help build the sets and make the costumes. And I saw students running the light cues and sound board. They really learn how a theater operates. Also, the robotics students went on a field trip to the UCLA engineering labs two weeks ago. And the 8th grade history teacher had her students do a moot court with a real Superior Court Judge volunteering and parent lawyers helping the students prepare their arguments. I wish I could go back to middle school.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 02, 2015
Thanks to the Assistant Principal for always being available to my daughter when she's having a hard day. It's nice to know she has someone she feels comfortable going to.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted December 02, 2015
Some teachers are better than others and my kids have clicked with some and not others. But one of the great lessons of school is learning how to succeed even when you don't like the teacher or you don't think the teacher is the best. But there are teachers that my daughter didn't like that I still thought were great teachers. This year, 8th grade, my daugher loves all her teachers. So great.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 02, 2015
It really depends on the student and not the teacher. The accelerated math classes are tougher and will have more homework. But it comes down to how well your child was prepared for middle school. Some kids come in well-prepared. Others spend the first semester just learning how to manage their time.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted December 02, 2015
I think over the years, this has really improved. A few years ago, I would have said that the Sports Academy was the one place that really developed grit. But now I would say that about most of the academies, such as STEM and this year I would include the Leadership Academy.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted December 02, 2015
Yes. The school lays down clear rules and expects students to follow them. Kids are given a lot of responsibility and opportunities to build trust.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 02, 2015
I have had two students go through this school. Each one has found teachers that they feel close to and feel that their teachers cared deeply about them. This is so important during these teenage years.

1650 Selby Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90024
Last modified Emerson Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emerson Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 170 reviews. Top