Los Angeles, CA

Posted January 15, 2015
Emerson is our neighborhood school. We were initially reluctant to send our daughter there as she did not score high enough on the CSTs to be considered for the SAS (honors) classes, and to be frank she is in the minority, being a white children in the regular classes. However, she has thrived and we have been very happy. The teachers have been good, and there are a wide variety of options for electives due to the academy structure. For her, the diversity of the students has been refreshing and fun, and any concerns we had have been replaced by true satisfaction and a relief that we do not have to commute any distance! She has enjoyed the FREE after school program offered by Team Primetime, through which she has enjoyed Mock Trial, Spanish classes, art (taught by UCLA students) and homework help. My only dissatisfaction has been in the lack of any band or orchestra, which I hear is being developed for the near future. This school is clearly on its way to being the great neighborhood school it can be.

Posted December 25, 2014
I have mixed feelings about Emerson, and I suspect my experience there is reflective of other Westside public schools. The bottom line is, if you have the time and resources to be proactive, get involved and advocate for your child, then s/he will be fine and receive a solid education. I do have concerns about parents with less privilege, including those who are native Spanish speakers. In some cases, they and their children are on their own. I also think the school's assignments (particularly in history) could better reflect the multicultural student body. Mr. Watson is not a spectacular principal but he is an improvement over the one prior.

Posted December 17, 2014
Unfortunately, we will never know the complete truth of who knew what at Foshay Learning Center in 2008. I don t think it is fair to hold this principal responsible.

Posted December 16, 2014
Our daughter entered Emerson in the 7th grade and is genuinely happy there. The teachers are communicative and make themselves available when we want to discuss a grade or learning issue. The size of the school, while much larger than her elementary school, is not overwhelming and is a great transition before entering high school. Principal Watson and Assistant Principal Muckenthaler are a great team. He sets the vision for the school, works with parents and stays in touch while Ms Muckenthaler is at on the yard with the students every day solving issues, talking with them and knowing them all by name.

Posted December 15, 2014
This is our son's first year at Emerson and we couldn't be happier. Choosing and worrying about which middle school to send our son to was stressful, to say the least. We feel fortunate to have been accepted into the SAS program at Emerson and our son is thriving. The principal is personable, accessible, and genuinely cares about his students' success. The size of the student body is a perfect transition from elementary school and the Academy structure adds a different element for the kids that keeps them interested and excited to learn.

Posted December 15, 2014
Emerson is a great neighborhood school. My oldest graduated two years ago, and my youngest graduates this year. Both were involved in programs that you won t find at most LAUSD middle schools. The Sports Academy, where my oldest spent a day at UCLA with a student athlete to better understand what it takes to succeed. The MESA program where he participated in several science fairs and took a full-day trip to the UCLA Brain Institute. The 6th grade trip to Yosemite, where both kids learned what it means to be part of a group working toward a common goal. Both wrote 20,000 word novels as part of NaNoWriMo. My youngest performed Shakespeare and understood the meaning of the words he was saying. He is on the Speech & Debate team, which has given him an increased sense of self-worth. The trip to Astro Camp he'll be taking later this year where he'll get hands-on science experience. I could go on and on, but I think Emerson should be a serious contender for your middle school student. I wish families that have had little to no experience with the school would take the time to learn what the school is really about rather than listening to unfounded rumors.

Posted December 14, 2014
I couldn't be happier with Emerson. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else! It's the best kept secret in town! My older daughter graduated 2 years ago, and my middle son is a 7th grader. My 5th grader will be going there next year. The quality of the education is excellent, and the academies afford students a very unique experience. The teachers are just wonderful, as is the principal. ...And the kids are really happy there - nice group of kids!

Posted December 14, 2014
A parent a few reviews down commented negatively about our test scores and our principal. I, personally, think that test scores are NOT the best or only measure of a school. As for our principal, he is extremely innovative and I stand by him 100%. Please take the time to read many of the other reviews of this school that relay personal stories of student success. This school is a special place! Middle school is all about preparing for the rigors of High School and also about supporting these kids as they go through so many developmental and emotional and emotional changes. Emerson provides great academics and a supportive environment. There is no bullying, rather a great sense of community. My child feels safe and we feel great about having her there!

Posted December 14, 2014
We are having a wonderful experience at Emerson. My son is in the SAS program and is being challenged and learning a lot. All the teachers are responsive to any questions or needs we have. It is a warm and welcoming environment. The principal and teachers know all the kids, there is no bullying, a true community at the school. The parent organization is extremely involved and helping to make positive changes and support the faculty and students.

Posted December 14, 2014
My daughter is a 7th grader at Emerson and she is thriving. I feel extremely fortunate that I found Emerson and chose to enroll my daughter. After spending our elementary school years in the Palisades, I wanted a smaller middle school for my daughter and Emerson turned out to be the perfect fit. I chose Emerson after touring, listening to the students, its diversity, the parent association, and the Principal. Test scores are not the determining factor on how great a school can be and whether or not a child will thrive. My daughter has had some great teachers at Emerson who care about their students and their success. The academies are outstanding and the school community is amazing. Transitioning to middle school is not easy but we made the transition and my daughter is learning, she is a good student, and most importantly she is happy.

Emerson Community Charter School
1650 Selby Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90024
Last modified Emerson Community Charter School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emerson Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 116 reviews. Top