Los Angeles, CA

Posted September 15, 2015
I would like to invite the writer underneath this post to back to school night. We will be extensively going over the kindergarten curriculum and how we differentiate instruction for all learners. Have you actually talked to the teachers? Where are you getting "we do nothing" all day from? I am a kindergarten teacher at Gardner and spend countless unpaid hours working hard to develop a curriculum that meets the academic, social emotional, and developmental aspects of an appropriate kindergarten age student-as well as writing grants to obtain field trips and other materials to extend their learning. The kids spend the day learning math, writing, reading, learning science in the garden, going to music class, drama class, developing their fine motor skills, expanding their social emotional growth, etc. The start of the year might seem "slow". We do spend a little extra time going over rules, procedures, building a classroom community , etc. Studies show that having a classroom with consistent procedures and a sense of community have a great academic pay off. We also have to spend time assessing the children to understand the academic needs of each individual student. The kindergarten students tend to range academically. Some can read and some are just learning their letters. They all are ready for kindergarten and all will learn a ton this year. A child who is already "reading" their teacher might focus on fluency, reading comprehension strategies, spelling, developing their writing, etc. Other children might need more of an emphasis on phonemic awareness strategies. The kindergarten teachers collaborate at least twice a week developing lesson plans to meet the children's academic needs. For example- we all teach writing EVERY day. None of the children are writing perfectly now! They ALL have room to improve. We keep their writing samples in a folder and they get sent home at the end of the unit. A beginning of the year writing sample might not look like much-without some explanation of the story or phonics behind it. Examples of beginning of the year writing lessons are: teaching kids how to develop writing ideas, punctuation, what to do if you don't know how to spell a word, labeling, etc. All 3 classes have been teaching the same lessons. I am running out of room. Feel free to discuss any academic concerns with the 3 of us! Sarah N!

Gardner Street Elementary School 3

Posted September 13, 2015
My son just began Kindergarten program , and honestly I feel very upset. Even though it is a kindergarten, why 5 years old children basically do NOTHING!!! The teacher explains that some of the kids are not ready, but I personally think they need to gain this knowledge, I do not like my son and other better prepared children wait when all of them will be equally uneducated! I will see, if situation will not change, we will try to find another option for more serious education. Parent

Posted August 14, 2015
I'm a teacher and a parent at this school. I started working at Gardner last year while my daughter was attending a different LAUSD elementary school. When I saw the level of dedication that the principal, faculty, and staff have here, and all of the programs that make Gardner special, I just had to bring my daughter here, too. Our family is really happy with that decision. It's a wonderful school. Since I've been here I have received training in Writer's Workshop, Reader's Workshop, and Council in Schools (a wonderful community-building practice). As was not always the case at my previous school, these trainings are not just one-time things and then forgotten; we receive ongoing support. I love that the school offers students extras like organic gardening, art studio, Playworks PE, computer lab, music, and drama in addition to the regular academic curriculum. The students get a well-rounded education. Finally, the parents have been warm and helpful, and I look forward to meeting my new group of students and their parents this year!

Posted February 03, 2015
Our daughter started Kindergarten in the fall of 2014. We were nervous about sending her to an LAUSD school, but felt it was important to support the public school system and give our neighborhood school a chance. We couldn't be happier. Our daughter loves going to school every day. Not only is she learning math, reading and writing, but with the use of Council, she is being taught how to communicate in an open and effective way. The new principal has done wonders for the school. He's brought in phenomenal teachers and workshops for them. He's an amazing leader, he puts the important things first and he cares about the education that the kids in his school are getting. The school is constantly growing and changing for the better under his leadership. We have loved getting involved and it's been exciting to be a part of growing and improving our neighborhood school.

Posted January 19, 2015
Our little girl is currently in kindergarten and we can't be happier with her awesome teacher Miss Sarah, her super dedicated principal Michael Rosner and the school atmosphere in general. There is even a theatre class for kindergarteners and the academics are being taught in such fun wonderful way that my girl is happiest when she is there. In addition there are also so many activities and events for students, just check out their cool web page:

Posted December 01, 2014
We decided on going to Gardner over our local 'high rated' charter school and we are so happy that we did!!!! My daughter started kindergarten this year and she absolutely loves everything about this school. The new principal is great and I feel has made a huge difference in making this a top school. My daughter's teacher is Ms. Sarah and she is absolutely incredible: attentive, caring, sweet, intelligent and most of all, knows how to have the right balance of play and academics. I was incredibly nervous about my daughter entering LAUSD and whether she would thrive in this environment. She came from a small, private, play based, reggio pre-school and I was worried she wouldn't do well in a more academic school. But Gardner has created an excellent balance of social/emotional development, academics and creativity. I especially love their 'writers workshop,' and the after school STAR program. My daughter has truly blossomed since attending this school.

Posted November 11, 2014
I am personally offended by the comment written below! The principal at the school has implemented so many wonderful programs. These programs are Writing Workshop, Council ( this fosters social,emotional and community development), and purchasing leveled libraries for each classroom. The stakeholders at Gardner work hard to implement additional educational programs. They have funded a music program, a physical education program, computer lab, gardening class, and an art lab. The teachers and staff members are constantly working together. We share ideas, acitivities, and collaborate on our lesson plans. Most of the faculty puts countless of unpaid hours to develop the curriculum for their students and well being of the school. We do this with love, passion, and dedication. The parents and families at the school are amazing. My classroom parents are always there to volunteer in the classroom, help fix my computers, assist in art lab, volunteer in the PTA, the list goes on! Gardner is so lucky to have the best principal, best teachers, best staff, best parents, and the best students. Anyone would be lucky to be a part of this nurturing community!

Gardner Street Elementary School 1

Posted October 16, 2014
Horrible school!!!!! Rediculous policies!!!!! Constant lice outbreaks!!!! Not challenging enough curriculum!!!! Horrible teachers and rude staff!!! With new principle school became a disaster!!!!

Posted September 18, 2014
This school had changed in positive way with new principal Mr. Rosner, who is dynamic, attentive and full of new ideas for our kids. School coordinator Ms. Lali been great and available to assist with parents concerns, she is sooo wonderful that I can't even find words!!office people are pleasant -especially Mrs.Prado who's been there for many years. Just want to mention amazing teachers Mrs. Lissitsyna, Ms. Chung, Mr. Mark who very professional, patient, enthusiastic . It is just my opinion but I believe every teacher there is awesome, campus looks clean ( thank you Mr. Mario), garden is a little bright and peaceful place. I wish though they had more shades around field- so kids would have place to read, communicate without being exposed to direct sunlight during PE, recesses or before/after school. Overall it's a Wonderful school !

Posted September 07, 2014
Gardner Street Elementary is finally becoming the school it should have been. The campus is clean, grass is growing, the garden is flourishing, and most importantly, the teachers are teaching. The new principal has taken some heat for demanding high standards out of his staff, but the teachers that have remained and the new teachers hired are excited to be at the school, their classrooms are beautiful, and they are taking on Writer's Workshop which has already made a difference in my child's life! I can't believe the difference in writing since it started. Change has been hard for some parents, but our kids are the bottom line and THEY are the direct beneficiaries of our new principal that keeps there needs at the forefront of the schools new vision. I'm grateful to have a public school that I am proud of, can walk to, and where I know my child is in good hands.

Gardner Street Elementary School
7450 Hawthorn Ave., Los Angeles, CA  90046
Last modified Gardner Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gardner Street Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 80 reviews. Top