Grand View Boulevard Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 514 students

LAUSD's First & Only 90:10 Spanish Immersion Program since 1990

School Official Point of View

Posted February 2, 2014

Welcome to Grand View! Our Spanish Immersion Program, the first and only 90:10 model in LAUSD, is stronger than ever in its 24th year. Our superb English Learning Academy is reaching new goals in stride with our dedication to rigorous academics. Thanks to our incredibly committed, dynamic teachers, test scores continue to rise at unprecedented levels (API +126 in five years), placing us in the top 5% of schools for growth. We are thrilled this year to integrate students with special needs as part of our extended curriculum in P.S. ARTS, District Arts, Adapted Physical Education and our excellent Garden School Foundation Seed to Table program. Every student has access to a wide range of enrichment choices, plus free before and after-school care with clubs and homework assistance. Meanwhile, parents get involved with workshops at our state-of-the-art Parent Center, or with the PTA, which enthusiastically betters our school and hosts a fun array of educational and cultural events. We are proud to be the home of such a vibrant and collaborative community. Come see for yourself why so many families choose Grand View over any other. Go Dragons! Principal Ortiz

Posted June 6, 2013

The Grand View Dual Language Program is the only 90/10 role model in LAUSD. My son was resistant to speak Spanish but after 6 months in the program, he was speaking Spanish to me and his grandparents. Now at the end of Kindergarten I see him and his classmates playing on the school yard and they are speaking in Spanish. The teachers are very passionate and the programs the students have (dia de los muertos & dia del nino) are great. The children are not only learning Spanish but the Latino culture as well. What would I say to a new parent? Come into the classroom and see for yourself the amazing things the kids are doing.

Posted June 6, 2013

I love this school and feel so happy to have found it. it's the oldest dual language school in la unified. the teachers are professional, dedicated and warm. the place has heart!

Posted May 19, 2013

My son is in 2nd grade Dual Language (has been in the program since Pre-K) and my daughter will be entering Pre-K Dual Language in the fall. I have been a teacher at GV for 15 years and have seen the Dual Language absolutely flourish. The teachers are dedicated and the parental involvement is relentlessly passionate. My son has become a fluent reader and writer in Spanish and English and more importantly has made life-long friends with children from diverse cultures. It is a school that should be on your MUST TOUR LIST!

Posted May 15, 2013

My neighbors thought we were crazy to permit out of our neighborhood "highly desired" school to attend Grand View. Our neighborhood school is exceptional...but we really wanted our kids to learn a second language and that was not possible there. The 90/10 immersion model is highly touted as the best way for non-native speakers to master the language and that's what we found at Grand View. Our child had no exposure to spanish prior to entering and has done beautifully! Understanding, speaking, reading, writing...and with such confidence! We are so impressed with our experience at this school We plan to send our younger ones there as well! Don't let the test scores keep you from checking out this program. Take a tour and see the kids/teachers in action!

Posted May 15, 2013

We enrolled our kindergartener after being wait-listed at the "other district language" schools, admittedly, not our first choice. It should have been. I can't believe more parents aren't pitching up tents to make sure they get in. They will be soon. It's the only 90/10 DL program in all of LAUSD, which I've researched, is the best way for a non-native speaker to master the 2nd language, and actually excel at it. It's been around for over 20 years, the teachers, the principal, the parents are GREAT!! We recently had hundreds of volunteers over several weekends, beautifying the school - painting, planting, murals, cleaning, fixing, etc. It still needs more work BUT the very passionate and active parents and teachers will get us there. Concerned about API scores? Don't be short-sited. Our Kindergartener is thriving and now even corrects my Spanish. The DL teachers put on a Spring Festival where the kids dance and sing in Spanish. There's art and music 1 x per week vs. 1 x per month like the other schools. The parents are working to make GV the school of 1st choice for Spanish Immersion. Dr. Deasy, LAUSD Superintendent will be visiting to support us in these efforts.

Posted April 25, 2013

My daughter is at the end of her Kinder year in the Dual Language Spanish Program. We have had a great first year and highly recommend this 90/10 model vs. 50/50 model to any family considering this a dual language program. The teachers are great and the principal is involved. We have a Beautification Day coming up quick and it is sure to transform the looks of the campus. We will be back next year and are going to be very involved in making it an even better place to learn and grow. Come check us out!

Posted March 4, 2013

Look, it's an underfunded LAUSD city school. It's not pretty, it's not full of bells & whistles. ALL our public schools need more. But guess what? My kids LOVE Grand View. They love their teachers and their friends and there's a real sense of community. The principal, Mr Ortiz, really cares about this school. The teachers are really committed and I know that those in the dual language program are all highly educated with master's degrees or certificates in bilingual education. We decided to permit into the school for one reason: Spanish language. The beauty of it is, since the school has a very high Latino population where Spanish is the language in the home, my kids are playing with their friends on the playground IN SPANISH. It is a true immersion situation. You will not find this anywhere else in West LA. We are very pleased with our choice, and we're on the way to giving our kids the bilingual education we both wish we'd had.

Posted February 14, 2013

This school is a gem of a school. It offers a dual languagebprogram with incredibly astute teachers and a competent dedicated staff. You must tour this campus and see how their 90/10 program nurtures both cultural learning and language aptitude.

Posted July 10, 2012

This is a fabulous school. The staff and principal are great. They seem to work really hard to make this a truly great school. One of the things I like about this school is the level of parental involvement. There is always some kind of parent workshop or family event sponsored by the school. My child is in the English and I could not be happier with the teachers he has had. I also know that they have a very successful Dual Language Program in Spanish. I would recommend this school to any one.

Posted February 18, 2011

My wife, Heather, just added the "HUGE advocate" post below. In doing so, she inadvertently deleted the post we had submitted when our son was in Pre-K last year. Because our original post is still true & relevant, I m including it here: "Grand View's Dual Language Program really is a diamond in the rough! We couldn't believe our good fortune when we found such a sought after program right down the street from us. It's an excellent program with highly trained and dedicated faculty whose passion for the program really make it shine! The parents are also very involved and extremely passionate about the program. It's very much like a being part of a big beautiful family at Grand View. We encourage anyone looking for quality education to stop by and get to know us." Update: Our son is in Kindergarten now and is already speaking, reading and writing in Spanish! He's also teaching his grandmother, aunt and neighbors some basic Spanish. He even corrects our pronunciation of certain words in Spanish. Unfortunately we waited until college to learn a second language. We are so glad he doesn't have too! This is a unique opportunity not to be missed.

Posted February 13, 2011

My child is in the Spanish dual immersion program. There are great, engaging and caring people in the program with lots of parent invovlement and there are people who care and a show a true concern for the students. I don't live in the immediate school zone, but I easily permited in and find it welcoming. The teachers have a passion for teaching in the dual immersion program. There are many social and special events in evening that creat a great community. A great parent center too.

Posted February 13, 2011

My son is currently attending the Pre-k class here and has the best teachers. I am so happy and my son genuinely loves his class and his teachers. I highly recommend this program to anyone interested it takes some time and volunteering on your part but it is well,well worth it. Thank you Grand View.

Posted May 12, 2010

Grand View Elementary is a great school. We had two of our kids attend the school and both were identified as Gifted Students. They continue to excel in their studies. This is possible due to the dedicated teachers Grand View has. We are proud parents and volunteers for the school. Please take a moment of your time to check us out. We have a Parent Resource Center for more information and an informative Community Representative.

Posted May 11, 2010

because two of my daughter goes to that school . The teachers are really great and they do a wonderful job on let us know on how our kids are doing in school, And my son will start pre k by September at grand view so please check us out our kids deserved it>

Posted May 11, 2010

I Love Grand view because my kids goes to that school they have great teachers and staff so please check the school out. Thank you for your support

Posted May 10, 2010

One word, wonderful. I have three children attending grand view for its wonderful Spanish immersion program. The program has great teachers who are caring, educated and willing to make your work to their potential. You will not be disappointing. Please check us out.

Posted May 7, 2010

This is one of the best schools around. The teachers and staff really care about the students and help them reach their full potential. They are very supportive and provide with the kids with a vast variety of enrichment programs.

Posted May 7, 2010

Grand View is a true community school. The teachers who live in the area bring their own children to Grand View. To me, this is a very strong endorsement of the school.

Posted May 6, 2010

I have been a Grand View parent for the past nine years and both of my kids have received an excellent education through the SEI (English Classes) program. Both have scored highly in their state tests and both have been identified as gifted students. This wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for the great and dedicated SEI teachers @ Grand View Elementary.

Posted May 6, 2010

I love our Dual Language Program and our dedicated teachers! We have a wonderful community of parents and teachers, who work hard to make our school the best it can be; ever evolving and growing. Both my kids are in the DL program and are testing above average. It is amazing to see my children reading, writing, and speaking in two languages! I feel very blessed to live close enough to attend Grand View and have the option of this program. In other parts of the country, families are on long wait lists to get into programs like this! We also have a wonderful school garden, arts programs, and free before and after-school care.

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students58%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Hindi, Farsi
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • LASUD API 800+ Honor School (+29 from 2012) (2013)

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
  • 90:10 Spanish Immersion Model
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club
  • Gardening
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 235 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

School start time
  • 8:15
School end time
  • 2:40
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Alfredo Ortiz, Principal
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • usona@aol.com
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Extra learning resources offered
  • Reading intervention
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Foreign language club: Spanish
  • Game club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Science club
  • Student council/government
  • Young Authors Program

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom