Bad
Good

I think this school is great. My son has learned so much and the staff is so very helpful with speech therapy and counseling. he has come out of his shell and i thank the office staff and teachers he has had. LABEST is not that great... but I love hillcrest, i think it was agreat move to put my son in this school.

Hillcrest has made great strides in improving student achievement over the last 2 years. The principal who came on board 2 years ago has really helped turn the school around. Not only is the school providing the students with much needed intervention, but the school has a full time music teacher and is part of the Arts Cadre, meaning the school receives visual arts, drama, and dance. There is after school care for grades K-5 through the LAs Best program. The one part that is lacking is parent involvement, which the school is working on. The campus is not only a community school, but also a music magnet, with a fabulous instrumental and vocal music teacher. Go Hillcrest!!!

Charters are not the answer. And neither are people who have never worked in a school. Charter scores on average the same as public and have to keep being bailed out by big corporations. Why can't these corporations bail out public education, a basic right of every citizen? The teachers of Hillcrest wrote a plan. And in proper English.

This school is a tragedy! LAUSD please charter it out! Please! Yes, there's a new principal there and although she may be a great person, she has no backbone and has already been caught up in the turmoil that's contributed to the school's sad state of affairs. I sincerely regret enrolling my child at this school - even for the year that she attended.

I reluctantly admitted my 3rd grade daughter to Hillcrest, after West Angeles Christian Academy closed its doors. I was hoping that maybe she could survive there at least one school year, while I applied for a magnet school. She was VERY excited to start school, but on her first day when she returned home, her attitude towards school changed dramatically. When asked how her first day went, her response was, 'Mommy all the kids call each other the 'N-word' and they curse at each other and say other words we're not supposed to use.' Now I understand that the teachers cannot regulate everything, but that was just too much for me to bear. After that experience, along with a couple of others, I switched her to a charter school a week later. And I don't regret it!

Hillcrest is a great school. The 1st grade teachers work hard with the students and are clearly invested in their success. They care about their students' progress. Also, the Math, Literacy Coaches and school counselors seem to give 110%. The administration is friendly and approachable and have good control. The principal. MS. Smith is no-nonsense while still maintaining a good relationship with students and staff.

My daughter started at Hillcrest DR. 2 years ago. She is in the 3rd grade now. My son who is now in the 9th grade, attended Hillcrest DR from kindergarten to 5th grade. Both of my children were pleased to be at Hillcrest DR. I, as a parent am pleased to have my daughter attend the same school as her brother, once did. Mrs. Smith, the Principal, is doing a great job, along with her team members. It take team members working together, on the same page , make positive things happen. It's not always the area of the school, it is the teachers, who make a school worth attending. Not all teachers, I can say that for.

Hillcrest elementary is starting to pick up steam, the leadership is looking a little better now, the grounds are clean and in order, school security makes sure kids are where they susposed to be. The music magnet teacher is awesome, have recieved many recognition awards from the city. Parents need to be more involved with the school.Dicipline needs to be focused on more by the parent than the teachers, I saw that some of the teachers were wasting valuable classroom time on discipline than education. Overall my kids loved their teachers, and the school. Go Hillcrest Go. 10/30/2007

I am disappointed with the leadership at this school. My child has attended this school for the past three years. I am removing my child from this school, because this school year the school has become a school where the children run the school and leadership and learning is missing. My child will not return to this school.

Last modified Hillcrest Drive Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.