Bad
Good

Irving is an okay school. My daughter is happy to attend classes here. What is annoying about this school is the excessive phone calls we parents get about upcoming meetings. I understand the importance of being informed, but I shouldn't get the same automated call three times. It's usually around 4pm, 7pm, and in the morning. In addition, Irving also sends these calls out during the weekend. I was really bothered to get a call during Easter! The principal needs to get this situation under control.

Irving Magnet middle school is an accomplished and outstanding school because of it's staff. When I say staff, I'm by far referring to the principle, or councilors. The principle is not fit to be in control of the school, but Irving has an amazing coordinator, Mr. Brock, who has helped Mr. Roskam look like he knows what he's doing. It's the security in the morning who looks out for the students when parents are driving in a rush to drop their children off. It's, the after school programs and security that enlighten the children to get involved in sports, music, and spiritual therapy. For those reasons, I have allowed my child to attend this school. Besides the principle not meeting expectations you would expect from any school, no matter the location, they have a math consultant that visits all the math classes with a ego bigger than any A list celebrity. I think Irving is a good school, but if Mr. Brock was the principle, and the math teacher who roams around the campus and brags about letters he's received from MIT instead of uplifting the students confidence, Irving would be a great school.

Washington Irving Middle School has become a MAGNET!! Many of the staff members have been replaced with a SUPER STELLAR Team of Teachers. Principal Roskam has made many great changes - painting the exterior and building a school community. I am really excited to see this school grow!

My child is in 8th grade at 'Irving', her 3rd year of attendance. I am very pleased with the academic support and social accountability provided by all staff. It is my belief that the exemplary leadership of the school principal, along with her dedicated and experienced profession staff, will bring Irving back to it's 'glory days' and become one of the top rated middle school of our state and country!

I for one, can say that this very school has taught me the leadership, citizenship, and scholarship characteristics I need to succeed in the future. I just culminated a couple days ago on June 19, 2009 from Irving Middle School with the following recognitions: 2 years of honors, 1 year of high honors, 3 years of citizenship, 3 years of perfect attendence, National Junior Honors Society, 8th grade council, and Student Body Treasurer. If a can do it, then any other Irving Bear can do it and so they did. There is at least fifty eight graders in NJHS, three hundred students with perfect attendence each semester, hundreds of honor students with a GPA of 3.0, and hundreds more with a GPA of 3.5. Class of 2009 especially. '09 ALL TJE WAY! WOO HOO!!

this is a great school! i am proud to say my child attends washington irving middle school. the drill team is a joy to see!

I believe there is room for improvement in the GATE prgm. Knowing that the school is in PI status has always concerned me but the teachers in the GATE prgm.,3 out of the 4 ,have really impressed me. My child has excelled . The Principal is very approachable along with the AP in charge of the 6th grade. Attendance office needs to remember that parents are not children and should not be treated as such. In addition the student workers should not be the ones verifing emergency card information -CONFIDENTIALITY?

I was skeptical on sending my daughter to this school. But I was proven wrong. Irving has a excellent after school program that give the student different options. I have not had any bad experiences with teachers. although I must say the deans or securities staff are rude. she has improved tremendously in her academic achievements with the help of her teachers. - thank you

What I like abut our school is the parent leaders they try to help parents,students and teachers I will like to see many parents more involve and our school Im a parent who many times need help and aways find parents in the center realy to help.and support with conferences and other needs. becuse of this Irving needs to support and give credit to this wondeful ladies who work for us

This is my daughter's first year at Irving and she loves it. She hasn't had any problems with any of the other students. And, she really enjoys her classes, especially the ones with Mr. Perez. I had planned on putting her in a private school, but she got on the honor roll, so I am keeping her at Irving.

Last modified Washington Irving Middle School Math, Music And Engineering Magnet is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.