Kenter Canyon Elementary School 1

Posted May 23, 2014
5 ! !

Posted May 17, 2014
Kenter Charter Parents! Could you answer my question please if your child got into the school via lottery. Do you like the school? Do you feel your child is a part of the community or not?

Posted May 02, 2014
Excellent education; most of the students are very bright, engaged, and talented; terrific principal; majority of teachers range from good to amazing; compared to other public elementary schools with similar numbers of students, campus is large with a good amount of grass & play space.

Posted March 31, 2014
i am not sure what kenter canyon the person who gave such a negative review a few posts down. i am a parent of a kindergartener and we do celebrate bdays and holidays. they celebrated halloween, all the winter holidays, valentines, pres day, MLK day and just now saint patty's day. our class, room 3 did day 100 too. i get 2 emails a week from our class parents as well as a friday newsletter and the friday folder that fills me in on all the happenings, which are many. i have had ample chances to meet other parents and families.. there is a lot going on there. i am not sure what class you are in, but my experience has been totally different. we love kenter and cant wait till my other son is old enought start there.

Posted December 13, 2013
There is no such thing as a perfect school where everything goes right all of the time. That said, Kenter Canyon is an excellent school with a very caring and competent staff. The scathing comment below does not take into account the quality of staff and education present 95% of the time. There are many changes that parents and staff would like to see, however it is important to recognize that Kenter still operates within and is bound in many cases by the larger bureaucracy of LAUSD. I am not privy to how the aides or anyone else gets paid, but Mr. Lewis does an exemplary job as do most of the other aides who all deserve more money and recognition than the currently get.

Posted December 12, 2013
I am an involved parent at Kenter for the last 6 years. Kenter has been a wonderful experience for my family by providing both a solid foundation in core elementary education and a wide variety of enrichment classes. Most important, we feel that Kenter is a wonderful community of local families who care about their school, the students and the overall community. I am posting this review in response to the review posted yesterday. To clarify a few points made, all classroom aides currently get paid the same rate which is set by LAUSD. If someone is earning more money it is because they are rendering additional services to PSG (the parent group) or the Kenter administration or they perform differentiated services. In addition all enrichment personnel decisions are made after a thorough process involving parents and the Kenter administration. PSG's board minutes, financials and budget are available for review by all parents. I encourage anyone who has questions to get more involved and to come to the periodic PSG general meetings (which are publicized to parents through emails) and all these personnel issues can be addressed and discussed in an open and appropriate forum.

Kenter Canyon Elementary School 2

Posted October 14, 2013
Kenter Canyon is disorganized and lacking in heart and community. We started Kindergarten this year and we had such high hopes! We feel let down and disheartened. The children aren't allowed ANY celebrations in the classrooms! Not even for birthdays. No Halloween or Holidays either. They are expected to sit still and be quiet all day-- there is no fun at all! Our child had made a lot of friends but the parents don't reach out to further friendships and there is a lack of connection with the all the parents. The school needs to have more opportunities for parents to bond and celebrate their children during the school day through class events. I have found that most of the parents don't even know what is taking place in the class. Also, the art "enrichment" is lacking in creativity and is completely uninspired. I am utterly disappointed in this school.

Kenter Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted August 25, 2013
Do I love this school? No, but I do like it and am happy my kids are at the school. There are enrichments and opportunities- made possible with parent involvement and our $- that you won't find at other public schools. The principle does honestly care about the students- a very good trait. And he's also good at listening to your concerns, making you feel better, then nothing actually changes. There are a few teachers that are TERRIBLE and bless him, he wants to get rid of them. Unfortunately, lausd makes it impossible. The fundraising is pretty hardcore, but you get what you pay for and for the most part we all pitch in. The kindergarten program kinda sucks- harsh entry to public school from private preschool. One teacher loathes being there and it shows. The talent show makes zero accommodation for little ones. If you pay for after school enrichment, you have to hand walk them to the class, making extra trips to school. The upper grades are better, god willing you get good teachers. Each year, nice improvements on things like communication and upkeep of the school grounds. Overall I'm happy, just not in "love", after all it's still lausd and bound by their insane policies...

Kenter Canyon Elementary School 1

Posted April 02, 2013
I am a fellow parent and friend to one of the young families that started at Kenter this year in one of the kindergarten classes, and was so horrified by the series of events that took place, I felt compelled to write to let other parents know of how issues of bullying are resolved at this school, and in particular, in this kindergarten class. Our friend's child, whom we have seen grow up and thrive in preschool and other social environments was physically and mentally bullied by another boy in class and his "gang" all year while the teacher and subsequently the principal chose to only believe the claims of the bullying child while ignoring the needs of the child that was being hit, pushed to the ground, and harrassed for ethnically different food. It is our responsibility as parents and teachers to protect our children and nurture a non-threatening environment as much as possible. The parents of the bully chose not to believe that their kid could possibly behave in such a way, even when they witnessed it with their own eyes. Shame on them. And shame on this school for failing to care to perform their most fundamental duties. This is kindergarten, for pete's sake. Heartbreaking.

Kenter Canyon Elementary School 3

Posted March 27, 2012
Kenter Cyn., is a good school, but not the BEST. This school has gone downhill since the major budget cuts. The school is hainging on a thread. However, my daughter is getting a well-rounded education, but I am not happy with the class size, and the constant shift of staff changes. The parent support is good, but not the best. YES, this school raises money outside of LAUSD through parent support. NO, the parents can't keep up financially with the state cut-backs. There is no librarian!!

Kenter Canyon Elementary School
645 North Kenter Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90049
Last modified Kenter Canyon Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kenter Canyon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top