Thomas Starr King Middle School Film And Media Magnet

Public | 6-8 | 1517 students

Posted June 18, 2014

Gifted Arts and Tech Magnet is an amazing program and unbelievable as it sounds, every single teacher is amazing, dedicated, approachable, engaging. The Admin is great, the counselor is terrific. It's a feel good, happy place from the top down to the kids, a really great environment.

Posted June 16, 2014

The Environmental Studies Magnet is the best! I just graduated and I miss everyone already! The ESM teachers are all great and I recommend it to everyone. I have learned so much - I am so happy my parents sent me to this program. The kids are nice, there is no bullying in the ESM, and the teachers are all warm and caring. I wish I didn't have to leave.

Posted May 28, 2014

i hate this school its the worst whenever u have a problem they just make it worst

Posted May 10, 2014

The Environmental Studies Magnet here is wonderful! My daughter will be graduating in June, after three years in the ESM and I couldn't be happier with my choice. The teachers are amazing.

Posted December 21, 2013

I am an 8th grade student attending this school right now. I love it so much here and it's going to be hard for me to say good by. The teachers and staff expect so much from us here and they really push us to do our best. This is the place to send your child.you won't regret it.

Posted December 15, 2013

Wow, the switch to all-magnet really took the school to a whole new level. My son is in 6th grade, at the GAT magnet, and he loves it. Project-based learning, a nice, open campus that is being cleaned up bit by bit. The teachers are excellent, and the curriculum challenging. I am amazed at how many of the magnet kids are coming from Franklin, Ivanhoe, Wonderland, and the Los Feliz arts charter schools. I think King got a bad rap 10-15 years ago and it just stuck.

Posted September 26, 2013

I have 2 kids at this school and it has the best organization in place that I have seen. I get informed of every detail that's going on at the school. Campus is clean and students and staff are very courteous. Teachers take every child's needs individually to offer the appropriate help. THere's plenty of supervision, including parent volunteers. My questions are answered and addressed right away. My kids love it and so do I. One thing i wish could get improved is the parking access to parents for events at the school.

Posted September 12, 2013

I have an 8th grader & a 6th grader in the gifted/arts/tech magnet and am reminded every day what a great school this is. Starting at the helm with the administration, you have a group of people who are extremely approachable, sharp, warm and reasonable. They have a camaraderie that clearly extends to the amazing teachers - they all seem to genuinely like each other and have pride and a team passion, if you will, towards the school and teaching. This in turn extends to the students, who soak up these good vibes in their dynamic classroom settings. The kids are all challenged and not only "taught to the test" as we've been hearing, but inspired every day, pushed and encouraged to think critically, to consider other perspectives, and strive to achieve their best, all while utilizing tools at the forefront of technology and the arts. Socially, the kids feel cared for and supported by the adults, and any discord between students is handled seriously and with the same familial warmth. It's a middle school experience that is unheard of! To top it off, check out our API scores from year to year, now at an impressive 843. Pay attention, you will hear much more about this great place.

Posted September 11, 2013

King Middle School has changed a lot over the passed 6 years. It has become a better enviroment for the students and more strict staff. I like the fact that things are more together here and I feel comfortable having my child attend here. The Magnet Program is fantastic and I have no complaints once so ever !

Posted August 23, 2013

My daughter and our family are thrilled to be a part of making this a true "neighborhood school" that we can be proud of. My daughter had a fantastic academic experience in her first year of the arts/tech gifted magnet program with some fantastic teachers. She was challenged in way that she never has been before. We are all excited about the fact that this is now a 100% magnet school so that EVERYONE in the community has options like never before. There is a strong parental base of involvement, excitement you can feel and forward motion only.

Posted August 22, 2013

I'm so proud to be a parent here at King and even prouder that my daughter goes here. Because of quality teachers, great staff, hardworking, involved parents and above all, a great group of young scholars, this school has made leaps and bounds of progress and we've only just begun. The movement, started a few years ago, has mushroomed into King's evolving into the "middle school to be reckoned with", and I'm so excited to be on board to witness and assist this transformation. It does indeed take a village and the King community of parents, teachers, staff and enthusiastic student body...along with the enormous support from our surrounding community, will soon be seen as the premiere middle school in the district. We Love King!

Posted July 26, 2013

This school has been said that it's bad, a horrible evniorment but in reality this is a great school. The magnets are wonderful! They are filled with wonderful teachers. Although I had a rough start at first I got to know the school and Iust say it is wonderful. This school also offers great afterschool activities!

Posted February 6, 2013

I am a parent to two student who are attending the new environmental magnet program and I am very pleased how they have attributed the environment in their studies. They have helped a lot and is one of the first school to ban Styrofoam lunch trays. I have a well communication with the teachers through their Edmodo website and Jupiter Grades. I receive emails constantly regarding notices through friends of king (http://friendsofking.org/). I receive their grades through texts and if there is any changes in their grades and what homework or assignments they have missed. Parents are very involved in this school and also volunteer their time to the school. For example we help out with fund raisers, activities, field trips, and volunteering our time during nutrition and lunch. The teachers are excellent with communication which is why I fell in love with the school. The size was overwhelming for me at first and the fact that I didn't get good reviews from previous parents but I am very happy I made the right choice for my boys who are in 6th and 8th grade.

Posted November 3, 2012

I am a 7th grade student in the Gifted Arts and Technology Magnet. The teachers at this school are great and they have lots of electives and clubs at lunch. They also have an Environmental Studies Magnet and a film magnet coming next year. Some parents might be scared because of the size and worried their kid won't get personal attention when they need it but the teachers and staff really care about the kids and put a stop to problems like bullying quickly. My only problem with this school (a big problem) is the lack of supervision during break times. There are supervisors, but with 1500 kids and a huge campus they really don't have enough. I don't see serious fights or drug use but kids swear a lot and shove each other around. All in all it is a great school and kids and parents who might end up at this school should not be turned off by its size.

Posted November 10, 2011

This school is fantastic. The improvements the teachers and principal have made to ensure the quality experience for every student have been very effective. Whenever there has been a problem, the school has made every effort to correct the situation and maintain contact with the parent in order to ensure that the problem has been resolved. The magnet and LACER program have offered my children opportunities that will lead to healthier minds and ambitious goals. Great job King Middle School!

Posted September 22, 2011

This school is awesome. My child is in the magnet program and is being challanged in every class. She comes home everyday excited to be around a group of friendly children. To add, the office staff is parent friendly. We look forward to 7th and 8th grade.

Posted January 27, 2010

i think that this school was okay, well not really alot of bad influences i think that moving schools was the best thing the happened. Then again the teachers there are GREAT! But still i wouldnt recommend anyone to go to this school unless they know what they are doing ?

Posted November 28, 2009

I have been in the magnet program for tow years, and all I can say is that these have been the best years of my life! I have 10 favorite teachers there, but I think that it is a little overcrowded. All I can say is that I will never forget Mr Abee, Mr Piumarta, Ms Turcios, Mr Purdy, and all the other teachers that I have met in this school. My parents had a hard time deciding which Middle school I should go to, and I shall never regret the choice that my parents made: sending me to Thomas Starr King Middle School. King MS, YOU ROCK!

Posted November 2, 2009

This school is very responsible and has a very beautiful garden! they are environmentally awesome!

Posted October 8, 2009

King is a really great school and the teachers are pretty good. The Magnet Program is really good and there is also a geometry class. Since I'm in Magnet, I think that the teachers actually try hard to help the kids learn more about the subject and make it fun too. There is also student council or leadership in King which helps kids learn to take charge and help around the schools. But sometimes I think that the Magnet kids get more things than the regular kids at school such as the electives which isn't fair... Overall, King is actually great!

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

530 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

583 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

561 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)64%
Parent education - college graduate66%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate79%
Parent education - declined to state64%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%
Femalesn/a
Males0%
Asiann/a
Hispanic or Latino0%
White (not Hispanic)n/a
Economically disadvantaged0%
Students with disability0%
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English onlyn/a
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a
Parent education - declined to staten/a

Geometry

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Magnet Model of Excellence (2010)
  • Magnet Model of Excellence (2009)

Special education / special needs

• Other health impairments
  • Significant developmental delay
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 1835 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents41038%
Students141194%
Employees1412%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mark Naulls
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper