Los Angeles, CA
Students enrolled: 1,800

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 08, 2015
I feel the faculty and administration are doing their best to instill important values in its' student body. I wish there was a stronger student volunteer component that would involve students with the needs of the community.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted June 08, 2015
The school has an administration that cares about its students and works hard to foster a good rapport with the student body. They hold students accountable and don't seem to overreact when it comes to punishment. Their communication with parents is solid. I trust the administration and teachers.

Posted June 08, 2015
My son will be entering 8th grade at King in fall 2015 via the school's Environmental Science Magnet. His first two years have been a great experience. All of his teachers have been enthusiastic, involved and caring educators. Communication between students, parents and teachers after school hours has been stellar. The faculty and staff are responsive and sensitive to whatever's going on. The Jupiter Grades system helps enable families to keep on top of homework, grades and general communication. Friends of King also has been a great organization for communication, fund raising, organizing parent volunteers and generally rallying the troops to help support the school. Bottom line: I'm a fan.

Posted June 05, 2015
I am a parent who volunteer at Thomas Starr King middle school, and my experience there was amazing. From top administration to teachers, and staff members all of them giving us support, and seeing dedication, honor, excellent education which caused kids to become great achievers. Also the partnership with community, parents, teachers, and these great kids. I could not be more grateful, and the fact that they helped my child grow as a young teen with great habits and knowledge to become more outgoing and acquire that successful attitude, is priceless!! Thank you to all and each one of the people who makes King #1. I recommend to everyone to become part of King's family. Thank you for your time to read and hope your experience will be as wonderful as mine. Cecilia Calderon.

Thomas Starr King Middle School 2

Posted November 23, 2014
My sons are in the 7th grade GAT magnet school. I am not satisfied with this place. Thought it's a gifted arts and tech schools, the teachers are really trained in dealing with with gifted students and there is a lack of any real technology aspect unless pasting pictures into reports is considered technology. Additionally, due to lack of funding, there is no computer given to the students. They can use the library computers, etc. , but not a one to one program as was in place at my kids' elementary school. It's an acceptable neighborhood school, but the fantastic magnet school we had hoped it would be. Too bad for us. Hopefully some of the hard core changes will be made in the future and students will receive an exemplary education. Definately not the case now. Reading through the reviews, I notice a couple of negaticve reviews in the past which are not there....wonder why they have been deleted. I thought a couple were spot on.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 10, 2014
I grew up in the area and I remember when this school had a bad reputation. What a difference the past few years have made! 1. An API jump from the 600's to the mid 800's and rising in the span of a few short years is amazing. 2. The transition to an ALL magnet school (Film, Environmental, and Gifted) has really helped this school blossom. 3. Increased parent involvement with a very active group called the Friends of King. 4. Great teachers who really care about the students (my son is in the environmental studies program). 5. A pretty campus with a lovely vegetable garden smack in the middle of campus. 6.Excellent field trips 7. Great afterschool programs and extracurricular activities. We are so lucky to live in a neighborhood in which all three public schools (elementary, middle, and high school) are excellent!
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 10, 2014
There is so much to love about King. I love the trees and garden; I love that the 6th graders are on the hill, a bit separate from the bigger kids; All the teachers are intelligent and invested. A lot of the learning is project-based, clever and stimulating, and multi-disciplinary, too, where the different subjects & teachers feed into one big assignment. This is all GREAT -- in groups, individually...creative engagement that requires imagination and care. Love it! My only issue -- and it is a big one -- is the demolition of the accelerated math track. King has opted to no longer offer Algebra in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. For kids in the GAT who could swing the advanced subject matter, the fact that the accelerated math path has been erased (in alleged compliance with the Common Core) is infuriating. Maybe with enough parent protest, they will reinstate what they formerly offered. On balance, I think TSK is an excellent, understanding middle school. I'm just disappointed by the loss of a true (not just "taught faster") accelerated math program, where mathematically-inclined kids who are ready for more challenge are being told to slow down, and 'wait.'

Posted November 03, 2014
This is our son's first year in the Environmental Studies Magnet program. He absolutely loves attending Thomas Starr King Middle School. As a parent, we are so grateful to have extremely dedicated teachers that really care about the students academic success. Our family is very happy to be a part of this school community. Thank you to everyone who works so hard to give our children the very best education.

Posted October 22, 2014
Our son is in the Arts and Tech Magnet in the 8th grade. He has been there all three years of middle school, and it has been a wonderful experience for him. The teachers, for the most part, are fantastic. Devoted, inspiring and setting the bar high for these kids. I feel our son has developed a real love of learning and being challenged to think outside the box. And we feel King has prepared him nicely for high school. We would highly recommend King to any family looking for a challenging education.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 20, 2014
My kids have had a lovely experience in the GAT magnet. Their teachers have ranged from pretty good to outstanding, with many in the "outstanding" category. The one blot was the 7th grade social studies teacher who is an odd character to say the least, but my kids did learn the content (and so did I along with them). BTW my kids LOVED the "militant" 7th grade English teacher referenced below and blossomed in her class. I think this program prepares kids well for academically challenging high school programs. A great option for a neighborhood middle school.

4201 Fountain Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90029
Last modified Thomas Starr King Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thomas Starr King Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top