Loyola Village Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 473 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 24, 2010

An awesome reading and library program led by a an artist and illustrator of children's books!. The kids love it and her...as do the parents, teachers and EVERYONE.

Posted April 24, 2010

We are a wonderful neighborhood school as well as a fine and performing arts magnet. Music and arts are emphasized school-wide and high academic achievement is strongly promoted. With a dedicated principal and hard-working teachers my three children are flourishing at this school. I live just down the street and am so happy to be able to walk my children to school every day.

Posted April 24, 2010

they hired a professional children's book illustrator for a librarian! This school is overflowing with creativity and warmth.

Posted April 24, 2010

I am a neighborhood parent who has all three of my children in this school. While no school is perfect, Loyola Village has consistantly exceeded my expectations. The principal is caring, accessible and works overtime to do everything she can for the school. The teachers my children have had are all excellent and the librarian is fantastic. My children are all doing very well academically as well as being exposed to art and music on a very regular basis. I am a very involved parent and as a consequence we have met families who will be life-long friends. Personally, I couldn't ask for more. Come visit & see for yourself.

Posted April 24, 2010

Every child has a gift. Schools with strong arts programs offer creative, artistic children a place that is nurturing and exciting, promoting self-esteem and confidence, critical elements of healthy growth and development. Loyola Village School is just such a place. A wonderful school!

Posted April 24, 2010

The kids of Loyola Village are smart, fun and brimming with ideas. This must come from the fantastic environment the school creates.

Posted April 18, 2010

The Principal, teachers, and staff really care about the welfare of the children that attend this school and make it a broad learning experience for all.

Posted October 6, 2009

I am sad to read all the negative comments from these so called adults in this day and age. I pay extremly high homeowners taxes which help fund your precious neighborhood school. This is my daughters first year at Loyola and I was pleased until I read these ridiculous posts. How can you all be so silly as to let a few bad apples spoil your perceptions as there are bad apples in every ethnic group including yours. My daughter should and will benefit from the taxes my husband and I pay. I took my child out of private school and searched for a good public school for this very reason. My child deserves a good education same as yours and if it means sending her out of the neighbor she lives in to find a better school thats what we will do. Get over it we aren't going anywhere.

Posted October 2, 2009

I ditto the last comment. This school certainly is not diverse and last commentor is right about the parent's actions. They should no longer allow the permits and maybe they can get more of the neighborhood kids back into the school.

Posted September 28, 2009

Although Loyola Village Elementary School has good teachers; the diversity there is not balanced at all. Which elementary school are the children living in the neighborhood going? It's a bit sad that we do not feel comfortable going to our home schools. What can we do to make it more balanced?

Posted September 25, 2009

My son attended kindergarten at Loyola Villege last year and is in first grade this year. I agree with the july 4th post however I don't consider much ethnic diversity here--it's pretty much all african american with a few white and even fewer asian. the socioeconomic background is clear by the way some of these parents act. one mother at STAR just parks in the middle of the parking lot to pick her 2 kids up, while her 3 others are in the car and blocks everyone in! some other mother attacked someone with a tire iron outside the school last year. they should stop accepting these kids on permits and maybe the school would have a more wholesome population of kids.

Posted September 16, 2009

Dito the last two comments my daughter has been in the magnet program since 1st grade, now in 3 rd grade. It doesn t matter where the other kids live and actually kids have to live in LA to get in the magnet program no Inglewood or Inglewood adjacent as the 7/4 reviewer indicated. I can not begin to say how pleased I have been with everything Loyola Village teachers and staff has done for my daughter s education. She is above average in reading and math and can spell words I cant sometime (as a college graduate). I find it hard to believe that any child wouldn't excel as the teacher are very diligent in making sure students are completing homework and projects on time & identifying learning issues. My daughter just said to me this morn how much she loves her school and her teacher now Mr. Blunt. LOVE LOYOLA VILLAGE!!!!

Posted June 22, 2009

My child thrived and did exceptionally well within the kindergarten program. I believe the diversity of the children and the overall commitment by the staff and volunteers truly make Loyola Village and exceptional place. While I personally couldn't contribute as much as I wanted, I found the 2 kindergarten teachers, Ms. Shearon and Ms. Norris, to be excellent educators. While some children come more prepared than other they were always available for feedback. These two women are doing an exceptional job. Principal Melinda Goodall is an is an EXCELLENT example of positive leadership and displays all the signs of commitment to what she is doing at the principal. She and truly makes the school stand out among the others in the area. Additionally, I enjoyed the end of school year production of the Wiz; I found the production to be simply charming. My child will be returning for 1st grade.

Posted October 2, 2008

This is my daughters first year at Loyola and I really love the school so far. The line of communication with my daughter s teacher is great! The staffs, the principal, the PTA are so wonderful and they are dedicated to the children.

Posted May 28, 2008

Great schoo!!! Generally meeting all state wide goals and getting better!!! Kudos to Principal and Staff! You're doing a great job...Later for the haters!

Posted May 5, 2008

I LOVE this school. I have 2 children attending the Magnet program and its WONDERFUL. The entire staff is professional and knowledgable. The school is jam-packed with diversity and being a Africian American/Hispanic parent I can see the different cultures in the school. I think that is what children need. the 'Real World' has diversity, so why shouldn't their school...and that is what Loyola Village brings to the table. The principle is VERY on the ball and is frequently seen interacting with the children. As another parent stated, I am also a participator in my children's education and not a spectator. I am active in the PTA and Booster clubs and when they need help I am there...while working a full time job. so I can first hand say that this is an awesome school and am glad that my children can both be a part of it.

Posted April 21, 2008

I have no idea what this person could possibly referring to. Principal Goodall seems on the ball to me. The school is clean, the students respectful. My kindergartener is doing very well. Many K parents have kids in the higher grades, and they are very happy here as well. Test scores are going up for every racial subgroup. That is public information. Look it up. Again, what the person below wrote is, well, nonsense.

Posted April 1, 2008

Absolute disaster. Principal is clueless to her staff's behavior, lack of discipline, and complete disregard for a safe learning environment. Any parent rating this school above a one star is doing so in a wild effort to preserve their property values.

Posted March 1, 2008

This school is fantastic. The Principal Melinda Goodall is superb principal. The Principal puts a great deal in educating children and works hard to pullup those students who are falling behind. She is great leader and I am sure this school will get 10 API's soon. The Assistant Vice Principal Ms. Wang is also very strong. Principal and the Teachers are all well motivated and are oriented in higher learning then testing only.

Posted February 25, 2008

I am a African American parent and resident of Westchester. My son is currently a 3rd grader at Loyola Village Magnet. My experience is totally the opposite of feeling 'discriminatory'. There is plenty of diversity at Loyola Village. My son previously attended a private school and I am employed at a privated school. By far, I feel my son is getting the best education, nurturing and with exemplary role models from the faculty and staff of African American, Hispanics, Asians, etc., men and women. My son loves going to school each day. I am a 'participator' in my son's education and not 'spectator'. Whatever his teachers need, I do my best to assist them in getting, not just for the benefit of my son, but for all of his classmates. He also attends STAR after school, where the diversity continues to be found through 'Tony' the who happens to be Hispanic.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students54%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 55%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 379 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Melinda Goodall
Fax number
  • (310) 216-9529

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8821 Villanova Avenue