Loyola Village Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Los Angeles

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $595,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,840.

Posted March 1, 2008

This school is fantastic. The Principal Melinda Goodall is superb principal. The Principal puts a great deal in educating children and works hard to pullup those students who are falling behind. She is great leader and I am sure this school will get 10 API's soon. The Assistant Vice Principal Ms. Wang is also very strong. Principal and the Teachers are all well motivated and are oriented in higher learning then testing only.

Posted February 25, 2008

I am a African American parent and resident of Westchester. My son is currently a 3rd grader at Loyola Village Magnet. My experience is totally the opposite of feeling 'discriminatory'. There is plenty of diversity at Loyola Village. My son previously attended a private school and I am employed at a privated school. By far, I feel my son is getting the best education, nurturing and with exemplary role models from the faculty and staff of African American, Hispanics, Asians, etc., men and women. My son loves going to school each day. I am a 'participator' in my son's education and not 'spectator'. Whatever his teachers need, I do my best to assist them in getting, not just for the benefit of my son, but for all of his classmates. He also attends STAR after school, where the diversity continues to be found through 'Tony' the who happens to be Hispanic.

Posted April 18, 2007

I would like to say that the quality of education is fabulous at Loyola. I am on child number 5. I currently have one that graduated from college, two in college, and one in junior high and my last one is a second grader. I believe my children have had a wonderful foundation to start the road of education here at this school. Each of my children are different individuals all with different talents. I feel Loyola Village magnet and traditional school have met their needs. All of them had extracurricular activities, music, art, science and sports. I feel that there is always parent involvement, but we could always use more. The more we have the more we can do for our school and our children! In all my years here, I now feel we really have a principal who listens and follows through to make positive changes for us!

Posted April 10, 2007

My daughter is now a second grader at Loyola Village and has been attending there since kindergarten. I am extremely glad that I CHOSE to send her to this wonderful school. I have always found the administration, staff, and teachers to be helpful when necessary. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 4, 2006

My son attended Loyola Village from 1st to part of 3rd grade until I was forced to take him out in the first two months of the school year. At first I thought that this was a good school for him, but each passing year it became worse and worse. The teachers became more worried about behavior than actually teaching the kids.

Posted July 18, 2006

My one daughter was here from K-5. My other daughter is still attending. We love it! There is a high parent involvement. I myself volunteered at the school. Most teachers are skillful, caring and open to parent involvement. Staff is courteous and helpful. They're stage performances are great! They have good after school program.

Posted February 6, 2006

Very Discriminitve lack of good teachers and overall it gave a feel that my kids were being taken to a low security prison.

Posted January 20, 2006

Loyola Village came highly recommended to me when my son was entering school. In the beginning it met my every expectation. Now that my child is in the 5th grade, and changes have been made in both administrative and teaching staff. I've seen a drastic change in the school. It appears that the quality of students has deminished over the last year or two. I know of several parents who have removed their children from Loyola because of the quality of education has gone down.

Posted October 12, 2005

Great school, good teachers, good community involvement.

Posted August 29, 2005

This is our neighborhood school, and our son s experience here has been great. It s really two schools in one: a magnet and a neighborhood school on one campus, sharing administration, teacher training and resources. My involvement as a parent has been welcomed. Academics are strong. Teachers are caring and motivated, and they do try to challenge the high achievers as well as lower performers. An award-winning professional development program keeps teachers focused and attracts quality teachers. Although student behavior problems do sometimes interfere, the principal and VP engage these students and their parents vigorously and thoughtfully. The principal new as principal but a veteran teacher and VP at this school is establishing herself well in this role. She is approachable, responsive, and savvy at getting resources. She is attentive to the details that, over time, create an environment that encourages good behavior, enhances teaching, and allows kids to flourish.

Posted July 3, 2005

My daughter attended this school when she was in the 2nd grade. I loved everything about it. The curriculum, the teachers~~the teacher she had at that time was wonderful! the before/after school program was awesome. They had so many things for the students to get involed in, from music, to art, sports just wonderful school activities. The level of parent involvement was wonderful. It was always a parent involved in the extra activities as well! I love this school.

Posted May 27, 2005

The quality of academic programs is very high quality, with a curriculum that provides a solid challenge to the students, and they respond to it positively. The school recently received an award in its participation in District Professional Development programs for teachers. This to me reflect the commitment of the faculty to its students and the parents. Availability of music (orchestra) sports/pe (Flexercise) and other extracurricular activities (field trips at Disney hall and fundraisers at ice skating rinks) are excellent. The parental presence on campus is welcomed, encouraged, and as a result is very strong. The benefits my child has received from attending this school will even be evident in her middle and high school years in school.

Posted May 12, 2005

My child is in the orchestra program and loves it.

Posted April 30, 2005

This school has taken a turn for the worse over the last year. As an involved parent over the last few years, I have personally seen a decline in the quality of leadership, faculty and student body at the school. The long time principal left a year ago and with him left many of the things that made this a good school in the past. Enrollment dropped significantly this school year and the open spaces were hastily filled without regard to the impact on the school overall. Morale among teachers and parents has declined and issues involving discipline and safety are becoming more and more common taking valuable teaching time away from the classrooms. While there are many dedicated educators and parents at the school working hard each and everyday for the children, it's frustrating to move forward while behavioral problems continue beyond the administration's ability to deal with them.

Posted April 7, 2005

I have three children at Loyola and their experiences have been great. Maybe like all elementary schools, the higher grades (4-5)posed the biggest challenge with behavior issues cropping up, but overall the diversity of the student body and academic focus has been good. There's a good balance of art and other academics, especially now that science is getting more attention. My wife and I participate in PTA activities, her in particular, sometimes too much, but it's for the children, all of them. Although my children do well on standardized tests, I'm concerned about the robotic process it adds to teaching; we're humans, faultfull and great! Lastly, as an African American, I don't like the grinding process of open enrollment. ALL SCHOOLS SHOULD BE MAGNETS, GATES, AND GREAT!

Posted December 18, 2004

This school is outstanding. I have gotten a sense of dedication and devotion to the students that attend there. The school has a multi-cultural setting which I believe has enriched my daughter's educational experience. Leadership: second to none. Faculty: prepared, organized, committed, doing their best to make the individual needs of the students a priority. The staff is friendly and professional. Problems that may arise are dealt with promptly with professionalism and compassion. If more high schools were run with the leadership this elementary school has, we would see the high school dropout rate plummet.

Posted August 17, 2004

My daughter (1st grader) is in the magnet program at Loyola Village and I can honestly say that they really do care about the students. They do not tolerate bad behavior, respect and courtesy is top priority in addition to academics. Keep up the excellent work Loyola Village.

Posted July 31, 2004

Good parent involvement and support for teachers. Campus has grass area, handball courts, basketball, baseball. API improving over the years. Magnet and traditional schools on campus. The principal is new, having begun late in the school year, but has been a teacher, magnet coordinator, and asst. principal at the school for many years.

Posted June 29, 2004

Great School. My daughter just graduated from Loyola Village two weeks ago. She attended for three years and each teacher that she had was excellent. Her education was well rounded and the teachers expected more from the students than the minimum LAUSD requirements. The principal left at the beginning of 2004 and the I didn't get a chance to really see the new principal in action. Nevertheless, I highly recommend Loyola Village Elementary School to all parents in the area.

Posted June 19, 2004

The first-grade teacher for my older child was great: caring, kind, effective and patient--one of the best teachers I have seen. (I wasn't sure about the kindergarten teachers.) There are many parents dedicated to making the school a good one.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students54%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 379 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Melinda Goodall
Fax number
  • (310) 216-9529

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8821 Villanova Avenue