Manual Arts Senior High School 1

Posted June 03, 2013
My son attended Manual for 2 years, and that was enough. The school is not terrible, but there is an attitude among the teachers that since this is a ghetto school they should be able to do whatever they want. There is no leadership from the administration and teachers run their classes however they see fit. Mr. Channel, who is mentioned elsewhere here, has a rule that if a student is absent even one day, with or without an excuse, they fail the course. My son was sick one day (with a doctors note!) and failed the class, even though he had all A's. Channel also designates certain pretty girls to be his "helper teachers", and these students get special privileges. Other teachers do much the same, favoring some students, enforcing bizarre rules, etc. We went as far as the school board to protest this, but the attitude seems to be "well , those teachers work in a tough school so we let them alone". At least we didn't have to worry about "teaching to the test". Nobody in this school seems worried about how their students do, long term or short term. I come from a family of educators and I have never experienced a school like this.

Manual Arts Senior High School 4

Posted October 07, 2012
Although I am not 100% on board with the structural changes taking place at Manual Arts, I have met the principal at a community function and he seems to be making a serious commitment to this school which I applaud.

Manual Arts Senior High School 3

Posted June 28, 2011
i am currently a freshman at mahs nd its is a good school the staff isnt topnotch but if you do fond a good teacher it will help you. i am in NAI (USC Neighborhood Academic Initiative) and i feel it is really helping me get through all dillemas at school because it helps me to achieve higher.

Manual Arts Senior High School 1

Posted March 22, 2011
Thank G-d I never went to Manual Arts Senior High School. I would hate to be associated with them. Irma Suarez Montes de Oca class of 1986

Posted March 06, 2010
This school just needs to work on it's students more and more discipline for the students.

Posted January 07, 2010
Well, I'm a current sophmore/junior at Manual Arts High School. The reason that I am in between is because I'm trying to graduate early, not because I hate Manual Arts, but because I know I will enjoy college more. Anyways, thanks to the staff, especially Mr. Keith, my dream of going to NYU seems really possible. The staff in general is horrible and relucant to help but when you find a good teacher, man what a teacher. If you want your kid to go to Manual Arts, put him/her in these programs, first of all A track, Magnet Program, and AOF (Academy of Finance).

Posted October 26, 2009
I attended Manual arts high school for four years of my life from 2005-2009 and they were the greatest years ever! My first two years i did feel cheated from my education, but after my first two years i entered a track with the magnet program and the academy of finance!!! the best programs in the whole school, but out of all of this i believe that the Academic Decathlon team is what truly got me ready for college! you studied college level reading and writing Mr. Channel is one of the best teachers in the whole school and does not kid around he is a serious professor. As for the Academy of Finance the same can be said you take accounting with Mr. Andereck. Not the best school but it is an awesome choice for experience!!!

Manual Arts Senior High School 3

Posted February 15, 2009
this school is decent. Its my second year here and my experience have been great. The best advice would be to joing the magnet program or come into manual throught the NAI program,( an excellent program).Manual's academy of finance is amazing as well. If you want to learn about chemistry and biology i would suggest you take Mr. Channel's class; he makes his class college-level. He also coaches the academic decathlon team which so far is doing alright. Overall you decide whether your experience here is at a desirable level.

Manual Arts Senior High School 2

Posted August 07, 2008
I attended Manual Arts from 2003 till 2007. I did end up going to a college, a UC, but once I got to college and saw my competition, I knew right away that I was in trouble. There are some good programs within the school, like Academy of Finance, Magnet Program, AP courses, and a couple more programs. The problem with the school is the lack of effort that many teachers have when it comes to teaching. Out of the four years that I was there I had only three classes that challenged me, they weren't rigorous, but they did make me work for what I earned. All I have to say this is an decent choice for a school, but there are better schools students can attend. The staff didn't really respect us, they treated us all like children, even making the average student feel dumber than they actually were.

Manual Arts Senior High School 5

Posted July 08, 2008

Manual Arts Senior High School
4131 South Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90037
Last modified Manual Arts Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Manual Arts Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.