Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are great at what they do and visibly enjoy doing it. Personalities vary across the faculty, but everyone has his or her strong suit.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is well thought through and never comes across as busy work. If it's too much, there's room to negotiate it with the teacher.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Teachers help develop social-emotional intelligence in addition to the three R's. My daughter is learning about how to resolve conflict without adult intervention and to apologize with compassion. Love it!

My daughter has benefitted over the years from excellent teacher. They not only know their stuff, but they are also really good people. They care about their students and are invested in their learning. I have learned so much as a parent by following their example.

This is a gem of a school in an adorable neighborhood. I had no idea such a sweet area existed in LA. We love the walk to school where we pass our friends and neighbors in this lovely community. The principal is dedicated to making our children enjoy learning and her vision for a more progressive school is encouraging. We've been lucky to have some great teachers that really get our kids and make them excited about school. The parent participation and involvement is beyond and everything that LAUSD took away (art, science, PE, library, music) is paid for by the dedicated Mar Vista families. We adore this school for our family!

This is an excellent school! My daughter is now in fourth grade and her experience has been a dream. Supportive teachers, an incredibly intelligent, hardworking and visionary of a school principal. It's rumored she works extremely late most nights. All nestled in a community that feels very much out of the fifties. Veteran parents are warm and welcoming to all new parents. Parents come together with staff and raise money ever year to be able to have a top notch school. Parents and staff throw several parties(tea parties, Bollywood, evening above la, family camping, gift wrapping, silent auction etc..). This helps raise money for the computer lab, librarian, art teacher and the music teacher. I have loved every minute my daughter has been in this school.

This is my 8th year at Mar Vista (split between 3 kids). Every year has been great. My family has found a wonderful community of educators and friends. My oldest had a great academic and social foundation and is now successful in middle school. We love that we see our classmates, teachers and friends at the park or at Trader Joe's. The principal is always striving to look for innovative ways to improve our children's education.

I couldn't agree more with the comment from March 2016. The staff at Mar Vista has become elitist, and they think they can get away with anything. Having pre kindergarten children take a secret test while parents have no clue what's happening is ridiculous. Any respected early childhood educator would tell you this is absurd. The administration hides behind their phones and won't answer basic questions. Where there is smoke there is fire, and lausd needs to investigate. There's a reason why Mar Vista has openings for K, 2nd and 3rd this school year.

The principal and faculty need to be transparent about their admissions procedures, especially regarding kindergarten admissions. I encourage prospective kindergarten parents to ask how students are selected, especially following the testing for SAS. Which children are selected, why, what criteria are used, etc. If they are going to expect parents to camp out for a few days to have a chance to attend Mar Vista, then they can answer a few simple questions, and at least let parents be present in the room when they give their SAS tests to 4 and 5 year-old children.

I have been at this school for 7 years now. A daughter who successfully culminated 5th grade and is now a 6th grader and a son who is in 4th grade. We have had a wonderful experience, for the kids and us as parents too! The teachers have all been excellent and have taught, inspired and readied our kids for the next stage of their academic lives. They have shared their interests and passions with our kids and exposed them to a world of experiential learning. The enrichment teachers (Art, Music, Science and PE) have truly enriched our kids school experience and made them well rounded. I respect the school leadership and know that decisions made are well thought out. When parents get involved at the school, they help create a great community too.

Last modified Mar Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.