Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Mar Vista Elementary School 1

Posted March 21, 2016
The principal and faculty need to be transparent about their admissions procedures, especially regarding kindergarten admissions. I encourage prospective kindergarten parents to ask how students are selected, especially following the testing for SAS. Which children are selected, why, what criteria are used, etc. If they are going to expect parents to camp out for a few days to have a chance to attend Mar Vista, then they can answer a few simple questions, and at least let parents be present in the room when they give their SAS tests to 4 and 5 year-old children.

Posted August 27, 2015
I have been at this school for 7 years now. A daughter who successfully culminated 5th grade and is now a 6th grader and a son who is in 4th grade. We have had a wonderful experience, for the kids and us as parents too! The teachers have all been excellent and have taught, inspired and readied our kids for the next stage of their academic lives. They have shared their interests and passions with our kids and exposed them to a world of experiential learning. The enrichment teachers (Art, Music, Science and PE) have truly enriched our kids school experience and made them well rounded. I respect the school leadership and know that decisions made are well thought out. When parents get involved at the school, they help create a great community too.

Posted August 09, 2015
I feel like I am winning the lottery every time I walk my son to school in the morning.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 09, 2015
We've had 8 out of 8 excellent teachers so far. When I hear a parent complain about a teacher, I can also find another parent/child who loves the same teacher; my impression is that sometimes it is the parent's ego that is not being stroked by the teacher and that's what creates the difficulties. That being said, there are probably one or two teachers at the school who are not optimal in terms of energy or relating to some students, but we've not had experienced this as of yet.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 09, 2015
Varies by teacher and grade. 4th grade teacher gave too much, but was open to cutting back when my son got overwhelmed. 5th grade was less than I expected. K-2 is very little, maybe 15 minutes a night reinforcing concepts learned that day.

Mar Vista Elementary School 3

Posted January 26, 2015
Used to be a great school few years ago. Under the new principal though things are going downhill. She seems to care more about superfluous rules and obedince and keeps adding more and more regulations and restrictions. She can often be seen rattling around the yard in her high heels with a walkie-talkie synchronizing the yard closure and door locking. Shouldn't a principle worry about more important things and not micromanage like this? There are still great teachers in there (even though some left under the new regime). However there are "lemons" too. We lost a year of our child's life with a teacher that couldn't care less and would quit mid-lesson with "well I can't explain this". Then give the kids tons of homework and leave to the parents to figure it out when the streessed kid can't understand the homework assignment. Your best strategy is to schmooze with teachers and parents and volunteer and be seen and try to influence the choice of teacher for the next year. Otherwise you're rolling the dice

Mar Vista Elementary School 3

Posted September 17, 2014
It use to be good school. Now it still is ONLY if you are lucky to get good teacher, and there are not a lot of them. Principal is very intolerant, rigid and hard to work with. School in my opinion does not have a good future under her leadership.

Posted April 03, 2014
This is one of the best public elementary schools on the west side of LA. The teachers and principal are really great. The culture of the school is diverse, kind and proactive with many helpful and supportive family volunteers. Class sizes in upper grades could be reduced more which would make it perfect.

Posted January 07, 2014
Mar Vista Elementary. We love this school. My son is in 3rd grade and his teacher is so nice to him.

Posted October 20, 2013
I am in fifth grade at this school. It is a great school! It has a great chorus and lots of fun sports like the new Mar Vista soccer team. There is a great art program and lots of field trips for the students. And, the BIG BOO. The big boo is like a little carnival we have at are school. It has a haunted house, fun games, and food to eat! Evan though I have only gone to this school for 4 and a half years ( this is my fifth) I have had a great time at this school and I am sure you or anyone else will too!

3330 Granville Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90066-2052
Last modified Mar Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.