Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter attends this school and is in the Dance program, and part of Dance company. I am so impressed with the progress and the overall Dance program itself. The shows are so professional looking and the Director of the Dance program Lindsey Farris, is amazing! My daughter is excelling academically as well. I would definitely recommend for Dance.

The school is not a real performing arts school. There true focus is the Marine Science Academy. The children are out of control. If you want your child to be with like minded children don't send them to this school. They do focus on the dance company. Every other subject related to the arts is not recognized. A child could have low grades and still be a member of dance company. Because there goucus is the revenue they get from dance company not your child's education.

My daughter is in the performing arts magnet and Im very proud of her work and accomplishments in the Company Dance Group. The girls are a family and they work extremely hard. I have to thank Coach Farris for being the glue that holds it all together she really loves her job and shes Fantastic! Academically speaking, if my daughter wasn't in one of the magnet programs, I would not send her to that school. I feel she receives an average to below average education and is not challenged at all. Fyi. My daughter came from Loyola Village Magnet in Westchester.

my son came here in mid 7th grade and found the marine science program which he is now thriving in 8th grade Honors!! I give a lot of credit to the marine science teachers who implement walking field trips to the beach, Ballona Wetlands, ocean safety day (fun!!) learning about oceanography, science/marine mammals while students are actively relating to one another. Also, I feel the Principal is ACTIVELY engaged with the students, I have seen them come up to her and hug her like a mother! This year I have walked into the school and found her readily available at the counter in the office. She informed me that Marina just recently received NEW computers!! This is a big plus!! Last year my son came into the school that had some academic issues, but this year was placed in all Honors classes as his teachers can see he is capable of the work as long as he is stimulated! Thanks to the teachers working with me, my son is now doing well socially, emotionally and academically! This year he will learn robotics (underwater!) and a marine science field trip to Catalina!! Came home ecstatic about his new teachers Mr. George, Mr. DeVault! So far, Marina has done a great job with my student!

My daughter attends the Performing Arts program and loves it. She LOVES her music class and is doing exceptionally well academically. The school is not perfect but what school is. As long as my daughter is happy and engaged and her grades are good I can't say anything bad.

Just like any other school it has problems but overall the school is great with the new principal you can already see the difference. The music teacher is good just not with middle school students!

My school is Marina Del Rey performing arts magnet. We love our school and the school community. My daughter has done some amazing things since she started school here.

My son went through all 3 years here and my daughter is now in 7th grade. We love it. It is a dynamic, diverse middle school which my kids feel (felt) an important part of. Some of the students are very serious performers but my kids chose the performing arts magnet because it made school fun. They learned how to be relied on as part of a group in performances. My son was surprised at how much he learned in dance. Coach Farris is an LAUSD treasure. The school needs more support as the energetic new principal and tireless lead teachers are doing more with less--as most public schools are--every year.

I really like this school for a few reasons. I have two children here, one in marine science, the other in performing arts. Teachers have been great about communicating. The dance performance night really showed how dedicated the children & teachers are. It was a fabulous! My daughter is always showing off something new she learned in dance class. My son has taken many field trips learning about Marine Science & community. The Current principal has made a difference already in the few months she s been there. As with any school children are children, and they will test the limits. Speaking from personal experience, the Dean is on his job, keep calling but they re on it this year - calling parents, getting involved, expelling bullies,& notifying us of almost everything. I love it. My children are bussed the school has been very supportive. Open your pockets school board! We almost lost great teachers w/ the cuts. Both of my kids love the school. Everywhere issues. It has nothing to do with life status or where you live but rather what is your value system and the direction in which ones moral compass points & what our kids are taught @ home by word & example. It takes a village!

This school get money for the children in the magnet program and most of the children in the magnet program are treated unfair by teachers and their Coordinator. They need these children to keep their numbers up in the school, but they really don't won't these children at MDR, that are being bused in. Some of the teachers have no classroom management skills but ready to speak about one male teacher when they class is just as much out control as his. Parents please do your research before putting your child here. My opinion it is worst for boys. Not a fair school for all children.

Last modified Marina Del Rey Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.