Posted August 12, 2014
This school is all about which program your child is in. Our son was part of the School for Environmental Studies, and it was AMAZING! We were so happy with the program. They receive some sort of grant and do not participate in the magnet program because they are better than a magnet! My son went on so many field trips and started loving school! The director is fantastic and is always there when you need him. The principal and assistant principals aren't so great but that didn't seem to affect the Environmental program our son was in. The director lives in the neighborhood and really cares about the kids.

John Marshall Senior High School 2

Posted January 07, 2014
Currently a student at enrolled in the SAS program at John Marshall High, and I am trying to transfer. The teachers are horrible; they make racist comments, have class favorites, and are extremely rude. On top of that, the teachers that I have don't teach, yet they have a very high unset standard. I've never disliked a school to this extent. All of my other friends are trying to look for other high schools to attend because they don't like the school as well. I hope there would be better teachers later on for the future students.

Posted September 20, 2013
I loved going here! The people are nice and the teachers are great, Mr.Benoit and Mrs.Hill are the best!

Posted March 14, 2013
I am a Marshall alum and I loved my time there. It was academically challenging and I was able to be involved in Theatre activities as well. But its not solely on the students or teachers to make a school great, parents HAVE to get involved. There was a new math when I went called IMP or IMG... my mother talked to the academic counselors and insisted I take regular math instead and I am so glad she did. It helped me out a lot more when I went to UCLA than taking that weird experimental math. And yes, even though this school may be rated a 5, I went to UCLA and graduated from there with honors! Marshall is great especially when everyone in the community is involved.

John Marshall Senior High School 1

Posted November 05, 2012
I am the parent of a new student -- a 9th grader. Many of his friends claim to have good experiences here and some parents also praise the school, but our experience has been otherwise. We have found low classroom instruction skills from 5 of his six teachers including low-level questioning, lack of course and daily lesson objectives, no efforts to differentiate instruction, and no classroom discussion. School wide, the leadership has not taken an active interest in improving classroom teaching. Communication with parents is weak compared to other nearby public schools.

Posted September 20, 2011
Marshall's test scores may fall below the scores of other schools such as Granada Hills Charter, or ECR, but definitley offers a great educational system. The campus is beautiful, and offers so much diversity! You see skin color of all kinds. HAD A HARVARD BOUND GRADUATE 2011 and 2006, and many years in between and before. Acadeca won NATIONALS 1995 and 1998 and got second in California state 2011. There's something for everyone. Counselors are all caring! One problem and only one it is very crowded especially since tracks were absolved 2011-2012. Other than that it is great! I am proud to be a barrister!

Posted August 08, 2011
John Marshall is a well-rounded school, with an emphasis in academics as well as athletics and performing arts. The Academic Decathlon did extremely well, as usual, and the Magnet and SAS program scored very well. Several of its sports teams ranked first in the Northern league, and continued on to compete further in city. The school's orchestra and a few bands got the chance to play at the Greek Theater, which was a positive experience for the students.

Posted January 05, 2011
John Marshall High School is an exceptional public school. The AP classes offer a curriculum that is challenging and engaging for students that are interested in learning and have a mindset to succeed. I am grateful that my child had the opportunity to attend this school. The diversity of the student population is a dying breed. No public school is 100% perfect, but this is the sole responsibility of the parents that do not hold their children accountable. Unfortunately, public schools are always blamed for student achievement, yet parents are not held liable for their lack of parenting skills. John Marshall High School should really have someone check addresses of students, I bet a large portion shouldn't even be at the school, especially the ones that go to disrupt learning for those that want a quality education!

Posted August 28, 2010
This year, Marshall went very well. Got Academic Decathlon first rank in LAUSD ,and Large school nation-wide, it's really pretty good to here that class of 2010 had enrolled in Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Tulane, UCs and etc. It's unforgettable. Everything's perfect...!!!

John Marshall Senior High School 0

Posted December 27, 2009
Im currently a junior at Marshall. Although the students in our school get is very low, it's not the faculty's fault. The students decided not to do their best. I, on the other hand, am having a great time in this school. I was able to experience many things by joining different clubs. Another reason why I love this school is because it's filled with students from different places - that's one way to learn about other cultures.

John Marshall Senior High School
3939 Tracy Street, Los Angeles, CA  90027
Last modified John Marshall Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Marshall Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 147 reviews. Top