Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son is in bilingual kindergarten at Mayberry and we have had an excellent experience. I hope this review helps other parents who are considering Mayberry. We chose Mayberry because we wanted a bilingual immersion program, because it is our neighborhood school, and because we value the opportunity to be members of a socially, economically, and ethnically diverse community. Most importantly, our son loves it! Mayberry has an excellent curriculum and the faculty is second to none. The teachers are true veterans, many with over 15 years of experience. Our son's teacher, Ms. Morales, is incredible. The care she shows her students and the strength of her instruction make us confident that our son has everything he needs to be successful. Ms. Niessen, the new principal, is working hard to ensure that Mayberry becomes an exceptional school. A new PTA has formed to ensure the success of all students. New awards programs have been put in place to recognize academic achievement and attendance. We are raising money to increase the number of enrichment activities available, including arts, cultural festivals, STEM curriculum, and more. As someone who considered Mayberry's Great Schools score before we enrolled, I want to address the low score. I believe the score is most heavily influenced by test scores which are lower at Mayberry for a couple reasons. The socio-economic level of its students is lower than some other nearby schools. In my opinion, standardized tests are biased against these students. As some say, "you don't need a standardized test to know that poor kids do poorly on standardized tests." Also, Mayberry serves a large number of special education students with mild, moderate, and severe disabilities. All students in public schools are tested with the same test, regardless of special education designation. These students' understandably lower scores affect the average score of the school. Going to school with special education students has been a great learning experience for our son. He has deaf friends and friends with physical disabilities. He knows that we all have different abilities, and that these children are his equals. And now he wants to learn sign language! We hope that more families from the neighborhood will choose Mayberry and that Mayberry will continue to be the bright, inclusive, and diverse school that it is. Go Magicians!

Amount of homework: Agree

My son is in kindergarten and has nightly homework. It's not very much, probably around 15 minutes. I don't love the fact that he has homework in kindergarten, but it doesn't negatively affect us. If anything, his learning is solidified by extra writing and math practice, and practicing identifying sight words.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The administration, faculty, and support staff are very vigilant with their monitoring of student behavior and interactions. We have had no issues with bullying.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

See my review: re: Special Education at Mayberry.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

We are very fortunate to have an energetic and committed principal Ms. Niessen.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I love the expectations at Mayberry: Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectful.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I am a strong believer that teaching is a profession, and that to be an excellent teacher you need ample experience. One of the major factors that drew our family to the school was the committed and experienced faculty. Most of the teachers have at least 15 years of experience and are actively engaged in ongoing professional development to stay fresh on current pedagogy. Also, the teachers make themselves very available to parents in person, and over email. We are very impressed by the teaching staff.

Mayberry has been a great experience for my son and our family. They have a solid balance of creativity, structure, flexibility and consistency. The staff is informative, engaging and on top of it. We're in the Dual Language program (Español/English) and I cannot express how much this has helped our son focus, thrive, develop his skills personally and socially. How enthused the staff is about this program is a testament to the synergy that seems to happen there with the kids. Lastly, I really appreciate the diversity at Mayberry a great mix of children from all points of the globe. Truly a magical and worldly place to start for any kid. After all, they Are the Mayberry Magicians!

My daughter was enrolled in the Dual Language kinder class at Mayberry Street School last year. She spent 3 hours learning English and three more hours in the Spanish class. The two dual language teachers worked very well together and made learning fun. My daughter is now able to talk and read in Spanish and English and we couldn't be happier for her! She loves going to Mayberry and can't wait to start first grade. Having a child in dual language requires more parent involvement, but the rewards of having a child speak two languages is worth it!

My daughter currently attends Pre-K with Ms Garcia. She told me just the other day that she loves going to school. I find that my daughter has learned so much in class and she always has something new to tell me. Another plus is how my husband and I are able to communicate with Ms Garcia when ever we drop off or pick up our daughter (communication is not limited to scheduled visits). We constantly get updates on her learning progress and worksheets to review on upcoming learning activities so we as parents can help. A school like Mayberry and a teacher like Ms Garcia are just the thing a kid needs to develop healthy learning and communications skills. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone who asks.

Last modified Mayberry Street Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.