Paul Revere Middle School

Charter | 6-8 | 2065 students

Posted June 15, 2012

my little sister has been going to this school since 6th grade and at first she was happy but now she tells me theirs some racists teachers, students and constant bullies. We've talked to teachers and counselors about our problem and they said they will handle and find a solution to this situation but yet the problem is still clearly out their. I find it weird coming from a lesser value middle school where their were fights every day and not even at that middle school their was segregation, or bullying or racism. I blame these white kids parents and the principle for not being proper leaders and role models

Posted June 9, 2012

My son isan honor student in the 6th grade and he has been bullied since hes been there. The administration offer no help and they are not stopping the bullies. I have had several conversations with the people at the school and they have done nothing to fix the situation. Instead they point the finger at my son and tell us that if he were different these things would not happen. Also, it seems that if you write a negative review they will remove it from this sight. Academically I love this school but they need to make it a better environment for the student. You can not resolve bullying by removing the person that is being bullied.

Posted June 3, 2012

This school is overcrowded,the classes are way to big.Bullies are everywhere on campus.Calls to the counseling office do not get returned.Getting a meeting with a teacher is like pulling teeth.My child did one year there.We changed schools for this school year.What a difference!We are much happier after leaving Revere.I will never send one of my kids there again.I am sure the teachers and administration are trying but there are to many kids in this school for them to do a proper job.

Posted March 10, 2012

This school is absolutely amazing. There is no other description for it. Anyway, I am a student at paul revere and i love it. I am in the sixth grade high honors class. The homework is reasonable and the projects are very fun. All i can say is that this school is amazing and i highly reccommend it.

Posted February 9, 2012

AMEN to this strictly monitored site. If your comment isn't "rainbows and lollipos," it will be deleted by Paul Revere. Heaven forbid that the school has a comment that is not positive. After all, Paul Revere is simply perfect. Yeah - just perfect!

Posted December 30, 2011

My son has been in the charter program at Paul Revere since 6th grade and will be graduating this year. Even though I have heard good and bad comments about the school, I am very pleased with it. My son's overall experience has been positive, only one issue with a teacher, that was resolved. Their academics, drama and music program is outstanding. My son is involved in the music program and the PEP program and he loves it. If I could change one thing about the school, it would be an easier way to be able to meet with the teachers and counselors. I know they have a very large work load (over 2,000 students) this makes it really hard to make appointments with them, but they do their best to respond to emails as quickly as possible. All I can say is with any school, stay involved, let those teachers and administration know who you are, email,call and go up to the school if you need too.

Posted December 29, 2011

We bypassed our neighborhood middle school to attend Paul Revere as we felt it had most of the programs and qualities in place that we were looking for. Our children have been very happy here and after so much pondering over middle schools, we have been pleased with our choice. The teachers have been excellent and the work has been interesting and challenging. The electives and the music program both are outstanding and the physical education program is top notch. Our children have also enjoyed the extras - such as lunch clubs, charity drives, PEP, and so much more. Many children from our out of area elementary school attend Paul Revere, but our children have also easily made new friends. There are lots of involved parents and administration responds very quickly when contacted. Very happy at Paul Revere!

Posted July 16, 2011

Our daughter just completed 6th Grade and had a good year. She started in the regular program and moved up to honors after about five weeks. She actually liked her math and science teacher much better in proficient than in honors. Her math and science teacher in honors was a terrible instructor, and assigned too much homework, much of it "busy" work. When I mentioned the excessive amount of homework, the teacher suggested our daughter should go back to proficient, despite her getting As and Bs in her classes. That seems to be the usual response to parent complaints about the amount of homework. (And some of the homework is really pointless and time consuming.) In terms of discipline problems and bullying, when another child threatened our daughter, the deans and counselors acted quickly to address the issue. This school does not tolerate bullying.

Posted July 14, 2011

14 teachers at this school were handed pink slips. Many of them were 6th grade teachers. In my opinion, Revere has an excellent 6th grade staff of educators. My son and daughter both had a wonderful and challenging 6th grade year. The teachers are top-notch! Sadly, many of them may not be in the classroom this September. Shame on LAUSD for making the cuts in the classroom and against the children!

Posted June 28, 2011

My son just finished 6th grade honors at Revere. He has had an amazingly positive experience both academically and socially. It's true that he had an incredible amount of homework, but he really thrived particularly with all the special projects. It was an effective way for him to learn. His teachers challenged and supported him. He also made great new friends who also cared about school and were also in the music program just like him. And, I really liked the fact the kids had P.E. everyday to stay fit. Overall, our son enjoyed his time and is looking forward to next year. I am impressed how well the staff manages 2100 kids coming from a variety of backgrounds. The teacher and administrative staff are extremely dedicated and hard-working. I supervised during the lunch hour from time to time, and can say that there is no tolerance for questionable behavior and anything that comes up is handled quickly and appropriately. Given the budget restraints, this school makes miracles happen everyday. The key to making this school work: make sure your kid goes to school everyday, does the work.... and gets into the music program!

Posted June 26, 2011

I consider this school to be a well run state penal institution. BUT considering that there are 2300 kids, I think they do a very good job. If your child falls into the middle of the bell curve then you are in good hands. That is, if he/she is self motivated or closely watched over by a parent then they will do well. The teachers care and are for the most part very good. If, your child is NOT a good student, or motivated, or has any learning issues, then you will have a difficult time here. There is an extreme overload of busy work home work, over which the teachers have no control. It is state mandated with very little thought other than high scores for the school which related to funding, however much needed. Bathrooms are filthy, and the place is run down for a lack of maintenance funding. Remember that these are traditionally difficult transition years for children, somewhere in the 12-14 years old zone, so it can't be any easy job managing an crowded school like this one. As far as alternatives go, I can't say that I've found the private schools to be better, and for 10-30 thousand dollars a year, from experience, I'd say your money is for the most part wasted. Good luck!

Posted June 21, 2011

My son, now finishing his second year has had an excellent time at the school. On balance, some truly outstanding teachers ( two duds in 2 years...) but he has grown both academically and emotionally. A recent review by a another parent read like private school shill, hitting all the fear mongering marks one could imagine... I rated the school a 5t, though it's probably a 4.5... still room for improvement in some areas... tho parental involvement is huge here... not sure what the parent who posted before me is referencing re: not being allowed to see what's going on... contrary to that it's easy to get involved, and/or meet with teachers... or email them.... large class sizes not really a problem unless the child has a hard time focusing

Posted May 18, 2011

As a student at Paul Revere, a large amount of the reviews I have read have made Paul Revere out to be a school with drug dealers, endless bullies, horrible teachers, and no regard for students' safety... That is the exact opposite of what I have seen. In my homeroom, we have gone over our planners' section on bullying, drugs, violence, etc., so please do not say the administration doesn't educate the students on those subjects. I encounter at least 150 students a day in classes, and none of them have been bullies or appear to be selling or using drugs. My teachers are incredible-- they go to the far ends of the Earth to enhance our courses and make sure we understand what they are teaching. They have NO tolerance whatsoever for talking during class or suspicious behavior, and will pull you aside if you seem depressed, angry, etc. Though my class is high honors, my teachers also teach regulars, which is about 70% of the same stuff (we just go into more detail and have more work.) My friends tell me that their teachers are phenomenal and that they have never been bullied at Paul Revere or offered drugs...

Posted April 20, 2011

Yes, bullying is a problem; however, the solution is not punishing an identified perpetrator. The solution is taking a hard look at school culture. Children are impressionable and there are effective programs that address creating a culture of respect and caring. These programs require a head-on commitment from school leaders (not occasional rallies), time investment and change in classroom management by teachers, effective use of homeroom to do more than take roll and make announcements and parents who want to help build character for all members of the school community. This won't be implemented if the emphasis is on punishment. We have to model caring and compassion. The comments about racial (and class) bias are correct. At Paul Revere, in a Darwinian environment where each parent is out for their own child and class time is spent talking about the last trip to Europe, this will be a challenge, but we can do it!

Posted March 8, 2011

Unfortunately I have to agree with the parent who posted on November 11, 2010 in regards to the bullying situation. I'm totally in favor of excellent academics, exceptional, caring teachers, what parent wouldn't?--don't really care too much about a farm being on campus, a farm....really now?? But, in this day and age, safety and protection is #1 on my list! I agree 100% that PR has a SERIOUS problem with BULLIES that is not sufficiently addressed. How can you address bully problems with a "no suspension rule". If a student does something to harm another student, whether it's physically or verbally, that student should be disciplined accordingly. A "no suspension" policy to me means that if the suspended student is not in school for the day/those days, then the school doesn't get the $$$. for the day! Total BS!!! Question for PR, Principal, Deans: Which is more important to you? MONEY FOR YOUR SCHOOL, OR A CHILDS SAFETY. Parents, I pose the same question to you for you and yours????

Posted November 11, 2010

Great school when it comes to course work. However, I have to say there is some racial bias at the school. If your child is of color they assume they are in the wrong most of the time. There also seems to be a bullying problem that seems to be overlooked by the staff.

Posted October 26, 2010

The community truly comes together to support ideas and execute them!

Posted August 30, 2010

I d like to share our family s experience with regard to regular and honors track. Our daughter started sixth grade in a regular track class. We felt that a mistake had been made in her placement and met with her teachers who reassured us by saying that they also taught honors classes. Our daughter was given supplementary homework which was similar to that given to honors classes. She was recommended for honors track for seventh grade and did well, scoring at the advanced level in the CST evaluations. Although our daughter s sixth grade class did have several students with discipline problems, it did not prevent a successful academic year. It would be a mistake to write-off regular track. The teachers are competent and caring. Unrelated comment: The bands and orchestras of the music department are amazingly good.

Posted August 17, 2010

Im am a student at Paul Revere some people say that there a drug problem well there a drug problem in every school and it not the school fault it the kids fault there try as hard as possible to get rid of that and it located in a very nice area and i feel safe at this school.

Posted August 16, 2010

Paul Revere has very nice teachers and an amazing principal that cares for all the students at Paul Revere.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

667 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

672 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

646 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

462 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

316 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

670 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

683 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Parent education - high school graduate91%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)91%
Parent education - college graduate100%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate97%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

All Students79%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)66%
Parent education - college graduate87%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to state70%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students36%

Students with no reported disability98%
Fluent-English proficient and English only98%
Gifted and talented99%
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)91%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2031 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents18613%
Students181187%
Employees3425%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)