Paul Revere Middle School

Charter | 6-8 | 2065 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 24, 2009

I am a student at PR and in sixth grade. My teachers, Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Carnine, are the best ever and love to teach. They have a great sense of humor. My PE class with Ms. Omori is fantastic, except for running miles weekly, but everyone has to do that. I am also in the music program, which is great. But I must say, the facilities could be a lot cleaner and the plants better taken care of. I haven't seen many fights. I also wish people would be suspended more often for their wrongdoings. There are bad people at PR, and good people. PR is giving out the wrong message; do bad things and you get the attention, get straight A's and you are ignored. To me, it all depends on which teachers you get that determines if you'll like the year or not.

Posted December 19, 2008

As a parent of a 6th Grader I could not be happier with Paul Revere...the teachers she has are Mr. Hernandez and Mr. Carnine....Love them...and so does she. The way they have thier PE set up is excellent and the music department is great, too. I have experienced nothing but caring and loving people. Also, My daughter loves the school! She is learning so much. I thank God for a Public and Charter school like PR in my area. Darlene Herbstman, Mom

Posted December 18, 2008

I am a public school advocate, but am disgusted and frustrated with PR! While there are some excellent teachers (Mr. Honda, Mr. Schwartz, Ms. Chen as examples), my experience to date is that there are too many teachers and Administrators who simply don't care, can't relate to kids, and/or are simply killing time until they can retire (think Stepford). Note: My child sees fights weekly and claims that only a small percentage of the kids get caught. Calls I've made into the school remain unanswered. I am disgusted.

Posted October 21, 2008

I love the diversity of the school. The curriculum and teachers are challenging. It also is a safe atmosphere.

Posted October 15, 2008

For a LAUSD middle school Paul Revere is a very good choice. The students are engaged and responsive. There does not appear to be a pervasive bully problem as with most LAUSD schools. There is a sense of pride that I have seen my son develop since being at Paul Revere. The first year he was not sure he liked the school but by the second he was very please to be there. He especially likes the honors math and science classes. Also a nice treat is Mr. Honda's farm. My son loves to visit the animals and take care of them. For a very large middle school Paul Revere has a lot going for it. Another plus is it is a very diverse school with many great kids getting along. I wish more LAUSD schools were like this one.

Posted October 14, 2008

My son has really developed into a brilliant student at this school. He loves going everday and the teachers are the best. He plays music for an hour each day and is very very happy. I just wish it went on to high school. The math and science classes are world class.

Posted October 10, 2008

This is a terrible school. Many teachers belittle the students in class and are unresponsive to messages to meet to discuss issues. The counselors are even worse. Bad counselors are promoted to administration and replaced with inept, uncaring, bored people. Unbelievable that we as parents have to put our children in their care day in and day out.

Posted September 7, 2008

This school is awesome, you make lots of friends and everyone is so nice. There are many pep programs that are very fun. Also everyone at school is so smart.

Posted September 4, 2008

Recently toured the school and was extremely impressed, especially with the SAS and ASAS classes. The 6th graders were challenged , and seemed very happy in the classrooms we saw. Word is the new principal is top notch. It's a large school, but the kids didn't seem to feel at odds with that at all.

Posted June 23, 2008

Very nice middle school with full of edu. It has alot of fun activites and are middle school kids would love it!

Posted June 9, 2008

This is the best school for all children. This school has the best teachers and staff out of all the schools. The teachers- most of them- help you out when you neeed it and they are people you would look up to. I'm actually going to graduate in a week and the 8th grade activities are great and always fun. Overall, this is the best school to go to for middle school. I spent my best three years of my life here, and they were great ones, too.

Posted April 9, 2008

We'll for me as a Paul Revere student I feel as if that Paul Revere is a great middle school and is more than your average middle school. They make the 6th graders year easier by putting their classes closer together and only having to switch classes 3 times a day. At times Paul Revere is vivid but what middle school isn't. They have smart, fun teachers there. They give the 8th graders (like me) so much pleasurable memories like my favorite the DisneyLand Trip and 8th Grade Picnic. But as a conclusion Paul Revere Middle School is a great place for your child so check it out. (also for children in the 7th grade I recommend for honor english class only Mr. David Baca's 7th grade hornors english class.) Go Class of '08..!!!

Posted February 23, 2008

After reading some of the earlier comments posted here, I wasn't sure if Paul Revere would work for my family. I am pleased to report this is a great school. The teachers, without exception, have been amazing. Our counselor is fantastic - he helped my son, who stumbled first semeser, get on track. My daughter loves it here and now my son is enjoying school. The most difficult lesson to learn is that the kids are responsible for themselves - no class interruptions for homework, lunch, backpacks left at home, if you miss class, you have to get assignments on your own - big difference from elementary school but great preparation for high school/college. What would make the school 5 star is more classes/clubs where these students can put their newly learned self reliance to work. Otherwise, a great place.

Posted January 31, 2008

I started off at Revere in 2005. At first it was a harder transition since I came from an Elementary School of 250 people and homework was a once every couple of nights verses Revere were homework is every night and the teachers don't hold your hand and kids aren't always so nice. As the years pass by i've had so much fun here. Take note that I may not be doing what im supposed to do in class but I've found that your teachers care about you and your education. It isn't just a job for most of them its an enjoyment. Fav. Teachers: ------------------------- Ms. Zuckerbraun - 6th Mrs. Meyerstein - 7th Ms. Uchida - 7th Dr. Fish - 8th Ms. Combus - 8th Mr. Bates

Posted November 1, 2007

My son just started the 6th grade in September, and I am very impressed with Revere so far. The teachers and the 6th grade counselor are high quality, and the administration has generally been friendly and helpful.

Posted August 22, 2007

Paul Revere is a great school that has wonderful teachers that help kids out in their time of need. Some of the teachers do not fufill all my child's needs, but I am very happy with the way the school is run.

Posted August 8, 2007

We are sad because the best teacher in the Eighth grade is leaving this year before our child can be in her class. Some teachers are wonderful, some a complete waste of time. The science program needs strengthening. The principal could more leadership, but many of the problems are due to LAUSD's woes. The school is HUGE and impersonal. Kids get lost in space literally and figuratively if they aren't really strong and directed. For us, it's a long drive. I wish we had better local alteratives. My child could be free to study or play with the hour a day spent in the car commuting. If you have to go here, you have to, I suppose.

Posted May 1, 2007

I think PRMS is a great school and I like the many choices of the art,music,p.e and other activities that are offered to the students. My son is in the 6th grade and the transition from elem to middle school has been very smooth. The teachers are really great. I have no comment on the parent involvement because I haven't involved like I should be but I am unable to because I work for another local school district (@ IUSD). Thanks, Meiko Cook.

Posted March 8, 2007

Coming from the private sector we weren't sure what to expect. So far this year we have found the teachers of very high quality, the education excellent and a genuine caring over all from the staff. The challenges for public schools are very different from the private schools but Paul Revere has the right attitude. The parents that we have met since joining are also terrific. Now, all my son can talk about is how glad he is being there and how much he is looking forward to Pali High; especially after yesterdays assembly presentation from the kids and staff of Pali High. The entire 8th grade of Pali was present with the intent of calming their trepidation in going to high school. My son also started (on his own) looking at colleges. This school has been a terrific influence. Thank you all very much. Mr. & Mrs. Callas

Posted March 8, 2007

Paul Revere Middle School has a lot to offer the serious, responsible, enthusiastic student. My 6th grade daughter, has learned to navigate her way and succeed in a very real world environment committed to the success of the avid learner. It may not be the best choice for all students. However for the mature student who wants to achieve on variety of levels, academically, athletically, socially, artistically or musically, it can happen at Paul Revere. There is no hand holding, children learn to ask for what they want, need or desire and if they can do that they will thrive.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

667 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

672 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

646 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

462 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

316 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

670 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

200 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

683 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Parent education - high school graduate91%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)91%
Parent education - college graduate100%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate97%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

All Students79%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)66%
Parent education - college graduate87%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to state70%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students36%

Students with no reported disability98%
Fluent-English proficient and English only98%
Gifted and talented99%
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)91%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2031 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents18613%
Students181187%
Employees3425%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)