Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted April 19, 2016
The open line of communication all around the school really enforces this between all students.

Posted April 19, 2016
I like to tell people that we lucked out (living where we do) since Richland is our neighborhood school, so we have the ideal experience of walking with neighbors and friends to school, impromptu get togethers and community all around us. Richland is small (around 300 students) and diverse in a way that includes a mix of multi-cultural, bi-cultural, bilingual, various socio-economic & learning/physically challenged students. To add to that, with our pilot French-Immersion program just kicking off this year, Richland has embraced French as a language spoken at the school and its culture, too. My daughter is in Kindergarten and a part of this program, so it's pretty amazing to see our cultural awareness continuing to expand. Our school is very family oriented, so you will always see younger siblings welcomed at school and our events by other students and probably even our Principal Mr. Granade. He knows every student by name and has an open door style of communication with teachers, parents, administration, students & new families. If you're wondering about academics and enrichment programs, yes my daughter is learning everything that we expected her to in Kindergarten, but mostly her two teachers (one in English and the other in French) encourage her to be curious, thoughtful in her learning process, artistic, engaged, socially mindful & confident in her learning ability. If you're interested in Richland, I would really recommend visiting our school and taking a tour. I could list out every amazing attribute of our school or you can check it out for yourself, too.

Posted December 08, 2015
My daughter is in kinder at Richland Elementary School and is now enrolled in the dual language program. She has lots of friends and really enjoys going to school every day. She likes the format: changing teachers midway through the day. She LOVES Mr. Robert. She really likes Mrs. Buchanan, too, since she can share her stories with her in English. We are a bi-lingual family: my husband is French and I’m American. We do our best to speak French in the household, but our daughters—both born here—have other ideas. They are textbook examples of heritage speakers—they understand the target language, French, but prefer speaking English at home. The reinforcement in French my daughter gets at school is invaluable since it’s more difficult to change the dynamic we have at home. That being said, my daughter has done very well learning how to read in French, as well as acquiring the rudiments of writing in French, too. She came into the program with a good command of written English (writing and reading), although there are no prerequisites for kinder! The bilingual approach at Richland seems to foster literacy and reinforce skills equally in both languages. I would say that it’s different in that respect from a ‘traditional’ French education. Learning to write, speak, and read in French is one of the most important goals. However, it is equally important that the children master these skills in both English and French. The teachers move seamlessly from one topic to the next in the curriculum teaching each unit ‘en tour de role.’ There is an occasional review, but there isn’t the kind of redundancy you find in some programs where they will ‘reteach’ the same lesson. The school has a very warm and friendly environment. I like spending time there and have really enjoyed the other parents I’ve met there, too. It is so lovely to see so many children and adults smile at my daughter and say hello to her when she walks into through the gate every morning. The principal, Mr. G., knows every student's name. The room brightens when he walks in! It’s really a special place.

Posted September 28, 2015
richland ave is a wonderful neighborhood school! with less than 300 students spanning pre-K to 6th grade, my son has friends of all ages and all backgrounds. diversity is important to us, coming from a home of 2 different backgrounds. this school is not so 'vanilla' like other west side schools and promotes tolerance and diversity. i love that my son has friends from so many different cultures and backgrounds! the school itself offers art, music, PE and specialties offered at bigger schools. the afterschool program (STAR) is incredible - through STAR my little guy has taken chess, drama, art, computer coding, cooking, dance, sports, etc. the booster club is a friendly group of committed parents. there are endless ways to get involved and support the classroom and school as a parent. i must say that it truly feels like a 'village' of families looking out for my child. he is happy and well-adjusted thanks to the support he receives. the principal, mr. "g" is fully committed to making this school excellent. he fought to bring the French immersion program into this school and this year, the vibe has continued to grow with energy and enthusiasm. thank you, richland ave. elementary - we are so proud to be one of the many family enjoying your charms and we could not be more grateful for this environment. go tigers!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 28, 2015
There are 3 school rules = Be Responsible, Be Respectful and Be Safe. Anything one can imagine falls into any of these 3 categories and Richland Ave Elementary promotes principles of honesty, integrity and fairness in all students thanks to the foundation of these 3 "golden" rules.

Posted September 22, 2015
My daughter just started K in the French Immersion program here and we are super happy! We applied to so many charter and magnet schools and didn't get into any and I'm so glad we didn't! Richland ended up being the perfect fit for us. It's a small, community driven neighborhood school where parent involvement is very much encouraged. We felt like an important part of the community from the very first day. Richland is the only school I toured that has a lush grassy garden that the children are allowed to explore and volunteer in and they have art and music too, something that many schools are lacking. The principle is wonderful and a big believer in language immersion. I was a little hesitant at first but with just a month in, my daughter is thriving and understanding so much French!

Posted September 18, 2015
With a warm, small school feel, this school, tucked away in a lovely, quiet neighborhood near Santa Monica, is an excellent fit for many types of learners. They have also just begun an exciting new French immersion program for the 2015-2016 school year in kindergarten. This is the only public school in the Los Angeles Unified School District to offer such an exciting program, with two highly qualified, dedicated teachers teaching in English and French. The program has already received much praise, and still has available open spots! It is in your best interest to take a look at this amazing school!

Posted February 27, 2015
This little school is a great find in LAUSD. My sons are currently in 5th and 2nd grade all absolutely love their experience. The school population is small which means the classroom sizes are small too. The teachers, staff and other parents know my kids by name which creates a tight, caring community. We always feel welcomed when we are on campus and enjoy spending time with the other families.

Posted February 04, 2015
I have two children going to Richland they both love this school. It is a small neighborhood school so the principal knows us and our kids. If I ever have concerns or questions he is easily found on the campus or his office. I like my kid's teachers and know that I can go to them with any concern. The office staff is nice and helpful as well. It's a great community and I'm so glad we decided to send our kids here!

Posted February 04, 2015
Our family loves Richland! The principal, Mr. G., is dedicated to every student and to the faculty, is present at meetings and events, and the kids love him. He even gave us the school tour himself when we came to check the school out! I love that Richland is a small school with a community feeling. My daughter is thriving in her studies and feels safe in her classroom. She has a whole class of friends and really looks forward to school every day. There is also a free after school STAR program that all of the kids LOVE! Our district school was capped so we came to Richland and I couldn't be happier that things worked out like they did. I hear that the school has changed a lot in the last few years so be cautious of old reviews and check the school out for yourself. Kids and parents love the Richland Avenue community. Go Tigers!

11562 Richland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90064
Last modified Richland Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.