Los Angeles, CA

Posted February 27, 2015
This little school is a great find in LAUSD. My sons are currently in 5th and 2nd grade all absolutely love their experience. The school population is small which means the classroom sizes are small too. The teachers, staff and other parents know my kids by name which creates a tight, caring community. We always feel welcomed when we are on campus and enjoy spending time with the other families.

Posted February 04, 2015
I have two children going to Richland they both love this school. It is a small neighborhood school so the principal knows us and our kids. If I ever have concerns or questions he is easily found on the campus or his office. I like my kid's teachers and know that I can go to them with any concern. The office staff is nice and helpful as well. It's a great community and I'm so glad we decided to send our kids here!
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 04, 2015
Our family loves Richland! The principal, Mr. G., is dedicated to every student and to the faculty, is present at meetings and events, and the kids love him. He even gave us the school tour himself when we came to check the school out! I love that Richland is a small school with a community feeling. My daughter is thriving in her studies and feels safe in her classroom. She has a whole class of friends and really looks forward to school every day. There is also a free after school STAR program that all of the kids LOVE! Our district school was capped so we came to Richland and I couldn't be happier that things worked out like they did. I hear that the school has changed a lot in the last few years so be cautious of old reviews and check the school out for yourself. Kids and parents love the Richland Avenue community. Go Tigers!

Posted October 20, 2014
Richland is a wonderful community school. The campus feels safe and welcoming. It has diversity and promotes tolerance, which is important to our family since our home shares two different backgrounds. There are endless opportunities to be involved in the school day and various events. My child is thriving and adores both the classroom and after-school (STAR) program teachers. School communication to parents is pretty good but it can be a little bumpy and could be optimized between the school and the after-school program; seems likes often the parents are the ones to inform the STAR teachers in the after school program of upcoming school events. Otherwise the school is truly a gem of an environment that fosters learning and responsibility in students.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 26, 2014
My daughter just began her first year of TK/Kindergarten at Richland Avenue this school year. After 4+ years of living in Richland's Westdale neighborhood and being involved with the school, I have to say that our experience actually attending the school has exceeded our expectations. First off, Richland has an amazing principal in Mr. "G" (as everyone calls him). He is hands on with the kids, knows everyone's name and approachable for any comment or question that you may have. Between Mr. G, the dedicated and committed staff of teachers, active parents in every class and the overall welcoming nature of our school, your child will never get lost or left behind. There are a wide range of enrichment programs, such as Lego Robotics, Music, Young Storytellers Foundation, Mad Scientist and Garden. My daughter is also taking cooking lessons and will start French classes next week during the after school program. Navigating schools in Los Angeles can be a challenge and I'm happy to see my daughter exposed to an environment at Richland, which is very similar to how mine was in a private school environment. She feels safe, challenged academically and encouraged as an individual.

Posted August 21, 2014
I attended Richland Avenue School starting September 1943 in Kindergarten and going through 6th. Both my sister and brother also attended. When I started the school was in a fairly new area with farmland south to National Blvd and beyond. The school consisted of potable bungalows with an irrigation ditch running across the south middle between the classrooms and the playground area. the Principle was a wonderful man who loved and took care of the students. The teachers helped each student to understand what was being taught. Most teachers lived locally in the West Los Angeles area. I loved the school and returned to talk to my past teachers for many years. New classroom were built and the bungalows removed and chain link fencing installed and it seem to become more of an impersonal institution. But I guess it has to be that way now in this crazy world we live in now.

Posted August 18, 2014
my child recently started kindergarten, however i've been watching this school since moving to the neighborhood a few years ago. this is a great school! principal "mr. g" is a positive, energetic, fair, and hard-working guy who takes time to get to know students and families. as the pulse of the school, he promotes high moral/ethical behavior standards and parental involvement. both kindergarten teachers are lovely ladies. parents of students in higher grades rave about their teachers too. the school is quaint, and feels like a community where everyone knows each other. neat opportunities that can be provided at a school that has less than 300 students - like fun field trips and events. my child loves richland, and i couldn't be happier with everyone i've encountered there from the front office staff to janitorial staff to the after-school program director. once this school is approved for the french-immersion program, watch out! i dare say it will become quite sought-after! it is great that, unlike other local schools in close proximity, this school does not only care about API scores. students are developed as whole individuals and not just test-takers.

Posted September 13, 2013
Richland is our local school but we decided not to send our Daughter here for T-K or Kindergarten simply because the test scores in the higher grades looked horrible. We opted to send her to a private school in Santa Monica where she stayed until the end of 2nd grade. I really wish I hadn't have been so swept up with the test score number because if I had taken the time to visit the school, see the small class sizes and meet the staff, I dare say we would have sent our daughter here at the beginning and saved our selves money (which could have been going to a college fund) and we would have been part of the community earlier. Please don't judge this school (like I did) without visiting it or talking to some of the parents. The Booster club is very active and has been working really hard to raise funds for the school and the Principal is fully committed

Posted August 26, 2013
We are a school for advanced studies with many programs including: preschool, special Ed & general education classrooms grades K-6. Grades 4-6 departmentalize. We engage our diverse students with technology including smart boards, computer lab, music program, library, young storytellers program, learning garden, after school GATE & STAR programs. We also have amazing community involvement with our Booster club. Teachers have high expectations for all students & our campus is a safe learning environment.

Posted August 22, 2013
Remember the story of the Little Engine That Could? I think I can I think I can - and I can! Meaning - this school has such heart and is really turning in to something wonderful! The Principal, Mr. Granade, has an open door policy to parents, staff and students. He listens. He is leading a dedicated team of teachers and staff who really care about the education and well being of each student. Richland Avenue is small and mighty. Parent support is on the upswing making the whole package complete.

Richland Avenue Elementary School
11562 Richland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90064
Last modified Richland Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Richland Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top