Posted October 20, 2014
Richland is a wonderful community school. The campus feels safe and welcoming. It has diversity and promotes tolerance, which is important to our family since our home shares two different backgrounds. There are endless opportunities to be involved in the school day and various events. My child is thriving and adores both the classroom and after-school (STAR) program teachers. School communication to parents is pretty good but it can be a little bumpy and could be optimized between the school and the after-school program; seems likes often the parents are the ones to inform the STAR teachers in the after school program of upcoming school events. Otherwise the school is truly a gem of an environment that fosters learning and responsibility in students.

Posted September 26, 2014
My daughter just began her first year of TK/Kindergarten at Richland Avenue this school year. After 4+ years of living in Richland's Westdale neighborhood and being involved with the school, I have to say that our experience actually attending the school has exceeded our expectations. First off, Richland has an amazing principal in Mr. "G" (as everyone calls him). He is hands on with the kids, knows everyone's name and approachable for any comment or question that you may have. Between Mr. G, the dedicated and committed staff of teachers, active parents in every class and the overall welcoming nature of our school, your child will never get lost or left behind. There are a wide range of enrichment programs, such as Lego Robotics, Music, Young Storytellers Foundation, Mad Scientist and Garden. My daughter is also taking cooking lessons and will start French classes next week during the after school program. Navigating schools in Los Angeles can be a challenge and I'm happy to see my daughter exposed to an environment at Richland, which is very similar to how mine was in a private school environment. She feels safe, challenged academically and encouraged as an individual.

Posted August 21, 2014
I attended Richland Avenue School starting September 1943 in Kindergarten and going through 6th. Both my sister and brother also attended. When I started the school was in a fairly new area with farmland south to National Blvd and beyond. The school consisted of potable bungalows with an irrigation ditch running across the south middle between the classrooms and the playground area. the Principle was a wonderful man who loved and took care of the students. The teachers helped each student to understand what was being taught. Most teachers lived locally in the West Los Angeles area. I loved the school and returned to talk to my past teachers for many years. New classroom were built and the bungalows removed and chain link fencing installed and it seem to become more of an impersonal institution. But I guess it has to be that way now in this crazy world we live in now.

Posted August 18, 2014
my child recently started kindergarten, however i've been watching this school since moving to the neighborhood a few years ago. this is a great school! principal "mr. g" is a positive, energetic, fair, and hard-working guy who takes time to get to know students and families. as the pulse of the school, he promotes high moral/ethical behavior standards and parental involvement. both kindergarten teachers are lovely ladies. parents of students in higher grades rave about their teachers too. the school is quaint, and feels like a community where everyone knows each other. neat opportunities that can be provided at a school that has less than 300 students - like fun field trips and events. my child loves richland, and i couldn't be happier with everyone i've encountered there from the front office staff to janitorial staff to the after-school program director. once this school is approved for the french-immersion program, watch out! i dare say it will become quite sought-after! it is great that, unlike other local schools in close proximity, this school does not only care about API scores. students are developed as whole individuals and not just test-takers.

Posted September 13, 2013
Richland is our local school but we decided not to send our Daughter here for T-K or Kindergarten simply because the test scores in the higher grades looked horrible. We opted to send her to a private school in Santa Monica where she stayed until the end of 2nd grade. I really wish I hadn't have been so swept up with the test score number because if I had taken the time to visit the school, see the small class sizes and meet the staff, I dare say we would have sent our daughter here at the beginning and saved our selves money (which could have been going to a college fund) and we would have been part of the community earlier. Please don't judge this school (like I did) without visiting it or talking to some of the parents. The Booster club is very active and has been working really hard to raise funds for the school and the Principal is fully committed

Posted August 26, 2013
We are a school for advanced studies with many programs including: preschool, special Ed & general education classrooms grades K-6. Grades 4-6 departmentalize. We engage our diverse students with technology including smart boards, computer lab, music program, library, young storytellers program, learning garden, after school GATE & STAR programs. We also have amazing community involvement with our Booster club. Teachers have high expectations for all students & our campus is a safe learning environment.

Posted August 22, 2013
Remember the story of the Little Engine That Could? I think I can I think I can - and I can! Meaning - this school has such heart and is really turning in to something wonderful! The Principal, Mr. Granade, has an open door policy to parents, staff and students. He listens. He is leading a dedicated team of teachers and staff who really care about the education and well being of each student. Richland Avenue is small and mighty. Parent support is on the upswing making the whole package complete.

Posted August 21, 2013
This school is a gem of a school tucked back in a great neighborhood. The school is warm and welcoming. The school is small which is a benefit in a gigantic city and a gigantic school district. This is a huge plus for a public school since everyone knows the students and parents. The staff is very approachable and the Booster Club is very supportive of the school and its students. What a find!

Posted August 16, 2013
Quite simply, great school, great faculty. Some that (with multiple children) over the years I can call friends. With only one year under his belt as a principal, Mr. Granade has shown a real dedication to the students, staff, and campus. He's vested. I have one graduate, and two with 2 or 3 more years to go. All good.

Richland Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2013
I'm a new parent to the school and have had just a few encounters as my daughter will begin K in a day. This is truly a community school in which I have been welcomed directly by the Principal upon registering my daughter. I also reached out the a Booster Club parent who promptly responded to my introductory email. I look forward to engaging in my child's education and raising the expectations of public education.

Richland Avenue Elementary School
11562 Richland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90064
Last modified Richland Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Richland Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top