Short Avenue Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 364 students

Our school is known for its traditional yet progressive approach to education.

Posted September 3, 2014

I love this School. The teacher's here really care about you and your children. It is very multicultural and the office staff are very friendly and helpful. I have 2 children enrolled in the school and they both love it.

Posted June 2, 2014

We were new to Short Ave. this year. Our daughter was a first grader and didn't know anyone at this school. The wonderful principal Mrs. Paulos took the time to sit with her on the first days when tears were falling and made her feel loved and a since of belonging. Her teacher Mrs.Trapnell is an amazing and fun teacher. We love the since of community here. Highly recommend this school.

Posted May 30, 2014

Short Avenue is a great school in a great community. The only reason this is not already one of the schools that people are waiting in line for is the largely unsubstantiated testing scandal that invalidated the school's API scores for two years in a row. The school has recovered, though, has a great principal who has made many positive changes in her two years so far, and a small but very dedicated group of parent volunteers. This school is already among the best in LAUSD, and I predict it will become very hard to permit into within a year or two.

Posted October 24, 2013

Just a few short years ago (no pun intended), parents in our neighborhood in Mar Vista had very scant options when it came to local elementary schools -- but Short has changed that. Due to an influx of committed parents joining forces with a core group of passionate and committed teachers and administrators, Short has become a safe space where children can learn and grow in a creative and supportive environment. It is what public school education is supposed to be.

Posted June 9, 2013

In researching schools from charter to private, I learned about a quiet little gem, right in my own back yard. I sent my son to the outstanding SLRDP preschool here, but had not truly considered it further until the following year when I was performing my due diligence. The thing that struck me most about Short Avenue wasn t the inspired Reading Garden or the fabulous new library but the *strength and caliber of the teachers*. Every classroom I observed, I was delighted to find an experienced teacher worthy of entrusting my son s education to, a teacher who seemed to shine a little brighter. The other thing that stood out was the parents the degree of their involvement, commitment and dedication. In 2012-2013 we were graced with a new, passionate, caring and focused leader with a vision to guide our beloved little school back on track towards our distinguished school goal. My first grader is easily doing second grade math and reading on a third grade level. His teacher radiates exceptional qualities considered by some as a once-in-a-life-time teacher. How very blessed we are here at our charming neighborhood school.

Posted May 27, 2013

A breeding ground of mediocrity. The extreme disorganization and jaded attitude of the administration is alarming. Since placing my child in a different educational situation, he has thrived. I am so relieved to witness the proof that my suspicions about this place were right. If your child has an ounce of critical thinking ability or creativity, think twice before you consider stifling his/her spirit at this epitome of the American institution.

Posted April 25, 2013

The Science Mania Fair this year (2013) was outstanding! Kids prepared rocket blasts, mold farms, salty water buoyance tests, checked plant growth in all imaginable conditions, checked the number of seeds in different types of apples, compared biometric parameters of hands, looked at DNA and 300 more other experiments all presented at the SHORT AVE ELEMENTARY Science Mania this year. And this is one of the reasons why our 3 kids are at this school- OUR school, our community school. They love the school, the teachers, and the principal. On the side note- the involved parents are doing fantastic job- raised money for arts program (among other things). Thank you, involved parents!!!!

Posted April 11, 2013

Excerpted from Dr. John Deasy's endorsement letter to prospective parents 4/5/2013: " I have walked through the classrooms of this school and observed examples of first rate-rate teaching where students are engaged and actively learning ... I could feel the strong sense of community in the school among teachers, students and parents ... the academic performance of the school is strong. Our internal calculations estimate that the API for 2011 would have been 864 (not counting the invalidated scores), and for the 2012, the school would have scored 834...I am proud of the new principal, Cindy Paulos, and all that she has accomplished in the past year. She is a strong instructional lead and well-respected by the staff and parents. Ms. Paulos has also developed monitoring procedures to ensure that there will be no issues with testing this year. As you tour the school and interact with the teachers, staff and students, you will recognize the sense of dedication and devotion from all stakeholders. I am convinced that Short Ave. will be the best choice for your child." [Interesting to note, just losing a blank test booklet is considered an irregularity.]

Posted February 4, 2013

Del Rey families, as you're considering where to send your kids next year, don't overlook Short Avenue! Before you make a decision, visit the school. Meet the principal. Talk to the parents. Hear about how incredible and hard working our teachers are. Allow yourself to be surprised, rather than dismissing your neighborhood school outright. Did you know that we have art education in all grades? A beautiful library? A school-wide science fair? Ballroom dance? Gifted and Talented programs? What we can offer is only limited by the imagination of the dedicated teachers and parents who put the time in to make things happen. We're on the other side of a couple of rocky years, and have only good things in store moving forward, led by a principal who is as dedicated to our students as any leader across LAUSD. My family and I are reminded daily that we made the best decision for our daughter in choosing Short over a charter or private school -- a wonderful school that we can walk to. Walk!! We've lived in this neighborhood for 13 years, and have never felt so much a part of it as we have at Short the last couple of years. I can't wait to see what the next few years bring.

Posted November 8, 2012

THE most charming, nieghborhood school that is sure to ease your mind as your children learn in a nurtured atmosohere. This hidden gem of a school is wrapped in the arms of wonderful teachers eager to teach, proven by API scores of the same and higher magnitude of past years that were swept out from underneath them, a new principal anxious to prove that an inspired leader can reproduce elevated API scores as well as school moral, and empathetic parents willing to forget the past and forge forward under new administration. Parental involvement is the essence of this alluring Pre-K through grade 6 school. Though it's a core group of supportive parents and relatives that carry the majority of the responsibility of holding fun-raisers, carnivals, and entertainment, it is brought on by ourselves and is truley gratifying. We are all just parents with the same goal; for our children to get a powerful education in a atmosphere balanced between adequate nurturing and discipline all the while having fun and being able to embrace the innocence of childhood. I think we are achieving this. My son's beaming eyes and ear to ear smiles as he reads daily is my reassurance of a well made decision.

Posted August 11, 2012

Short Avenue is an amazing little neighborhood school that feels like a family. WIth a new principal this year, who is committed to the needs of all students including gifted, great things are in store. My child is starting 2nd this year and I wouldn't consider any other option. Its time to stop listening to all the negative hype and form an educated opinion of your own.....Short Avenue is the best choice.

Posted June 7, 2012

Our daughter is finishing up kindergarten at Short Avenue. Full disclosure: we started the year with a shade of uncertainty given the negative press in the LA Times two days before the first day of class. But our daughter (a young five year old) has had an absolutely delightful year at Short, and we are choosing to return to our little neighborhood school again in the Fall despite the opportunity to enroll in a brand new Westside school with a lot of great things going for it. My family loves being a part of the Short Avenue community, and it's a shame that more of the young families in the neighborhood don't realize what a little gem of a school they have right within walking distance. The only reason I'm giving the school four stars instead of five is because of the ambivalence I have about the principal. It sounds like we have the opportunity to get new leadership in next year, which, given the strength of the teaching faculty and passion of the families who go there, can only give Short the opportunity to shine again. I'm optimistic that I'll be able to return next year at this time and give Short a five-star rating.

Posted June 8, 2011

Principals come and go. The last principal made it clear that she worked for the district not the school. The teachers work for the school and are loyal to the school. The heart and soul of the school is the teachers. They run the school not the principal or the booster club. The teachers love the booster club. So do the parents. There are not any girls in the fifth grade who have brothers who are three. Perhaps you should do your homework before spreading such vitriol on a public forum.

Posted June 8, 2011

Short Avenue has certainly seen it's share of administrators and I do believe, each one has shared their strengths in ways that have best supported the school needs during their post. Our current principal works very hard to orchestate the union of a very diverse and passionate population. As one of the original founders of the booster club, I believe the school has made profound strides in attracting the community, the private sector and new parents from the neighborhood. Friends of Short Avenue is proud of their accomplishments and their motivating force has always been the spirit of the children and the commitment to excellence demonstrated by the teachers. We are a wonderful little school and have always been extremely responsive to the positive inspiration of a new parent.

Posted June 6, 2011

Let me preface this by stating the school's teachers and staff are great. The principal is terrible and we wish that Principal H was still around. The current principal is very weak and now the test scores have started going down thanks to his lack of leadership. He is never around and when he is, he talks a lot and does little and just puts everything off so that someone else will do it. Sort of like a politician that didn't make it in politics and decided to go into education. Now the school is run by their booster club that used to do good things, but since Principal H left they don't listen to anything the parents have to say and act like bullies. It is really sad because the school used to be so much better than it is now. Our daughter is in 5th grade and we have a 3-year old son who will not be attending if things stay the way they are. It is sad that such a great group of teachers has to deal with this.

Posted October 28, 2010

The teachers and administrators go above and beyond the call of duty to provide a quality education to all the children who attend the school. People care at this school, which is one reason for it's success, and the parent's group, Friends of Short Ave Elementary has given time and money to help get the school the resources it needs. I'm inspired by the teachers, administrators, parents and students at Short Ave Elementary.

Posted October 26, 2010

It is a true neighborhood school. The students are a rainbow of diversity. The parents are engaged and active. The grounds are comfortable for an elementary school child.

Posted October 23, 2010

There is no doubt. This is the best school in the area.

Posted October 23, 2010

I have three daughters and two already graduated from Short the teachers are WONDERFUL! And the STAFF is the BEST!!

Posted October 23, 2010

Short ave has been my home for 17 years both my daughters 21 and 18 present 10 5th grade they all have had an education that I'm proud to say we are Alumni and present parents of Short for a long time. I also was honored to be apart of the Office Staff and miss it everyday. Due to cuts i also was removed from a place i called home. i cared and took pride in keeping every student safe and every parent updated needs cared for everyday for 16 years. Go Short Ave Mrs. Teresa Burdette

This school's
API score

835

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

N/A

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students75%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• School psychologist
Clubs

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 372 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Cynthia Paulos
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • ncl3037@lausd.net
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Art room
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • BGCV
  • GATE
  • Girl scouts
  • STAR Education
  • Student council/government

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom